Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chelsea vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Some of the attacking football we played was absolutely quality, mainly in the first half.

If you can't appreciate how good our players are - the silky skills, slick passing, clever turns etc - then this era is completely wasted on you. We won't always be this good.

Defensively we were shite, obviously - but I feel sorry for you if you let that get in the way of admiring all the our skill and quality play in that half.

If/when we find the balance of defense and attack, then we could be a real force in the Premier League. We didn't find that balance today.
Are you trying to gaslight us all or something?

The high line wasn’t nearly much of a problem as the fact we consistently gave the ball away to them or missed challenges. They literally walked through the midfield whenever they wanted that first half. Was it 7 times they had the ball in the net?

Yeah, ignore all that though. Quality play is clearly running with the ball up the pitch or stringing a few passes together.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Rutter, Weiffer and Kadioğlu started. Minteh came off the bench after some poor performances when he started, O’Riley (not O’Reilly) and Gruda are injured. The others were loaned out.

So which c£40m player didn’t go into our first team?
You said it was to maintain our standing, which was 11th last season. I'm saying it was to improve our standing to 6th and upwards this season. I also think that most £25m+ players should already be up to speed to a certain extent. You can't necessarily throw 6 newbies in straightaway but they should still be effective coming on 1 or 2 at a time.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
what a very strange game of football that was. Sitting here thinking WTF have I just watched. That first half was just madness. the second half calmed down but I'm left really a bit confused as to what was happening in that first 45. Were we bad?Chelsea brilliant? were both teams on drugs? I really dont know. One best forgotten I feel(at least by me)
Yes. No.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
You said it was to maintain our standing, which was 11th last season. I'm saying it was to improve our standing to 6th and upwards this season. I also think that most £25m+ players should already be up to speed to a certain extent. You can't necessarily throw 6 newbies in straightaway but they should still be effective coming on 1 or 2 at a time.
I think we as a club and they are players are doing fine - we’re in September and Georginio today, for instance, was one of our better players.

If players don’t get the adjustment and development time they don’t improve, look at Mac Allister when he started to when he left us - or Baleba who was our MOTM today.

I’m wondering if we’ll now see more teams attack us at the Amex rather than just spoil for draws - we are a bit of a mess at the back

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Fabian Hurzeler speaking to Match of the Day:

"We had a good start and controlled the game, had dominance in possession. We scored but afterwards we had too many individual mistakes and with too many individual mistakes you cannot win at Stamford Bridge. We should quickly learn from this."

"In possession we were good but to win games you need to be good in both phases and we didn't defend well."

"We are still in a process and we have to learn from this quickly. Every time we made a mistake they punished it and punished it quickly."

"We have to analyse, we have to be honest with each other and be better next time."

On what went wrong today:

"It is still a process and we need a good connection on the pitch and we did not have that connection today. It is my job as a head coach to improve these things."

"The first half you couldn't change anymore. We were disappointed about conceding that many goals but there were positive things. We tried to create some chances but I think Chelsea defended them quite good."

"In the end I think a bit of luck was not there for us. It was not our day and in the end I think we deserved to lose."

"We are all together - we win together and we lose together. We need to find a good balance, we can't lose our structure as quickly as we did. We all need to learn something, including me."

"There are not many players like Cole Palmer in the Premier League, he is special."

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I still can’t get past the Webster brain fart, it’s quite irrelevant what he did afterwards because it was that mistake which did the real damage.
He makes a major mistake in EVERY match, just sometimes he gets away with it.
As a signing he’s up there with some of our worst in terms value for money.
Who’s to blaming for him having to make two goal line clearances?

He was at fault for one but let’s talk about Bart beaten at the near post, Carlos not getting goal side and giving away two penalties in a week, Pervis no where near Palmer for the first.

Or how about the dangerous high line which made us drop 2 points at home to Forest but despite this we thought it would be ok against speed merchants sancho and Jackson being fed by palmer

Quite a bit wrong I’d say and it’s not just a mistake by Webster

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I think we as a club and they are players are doing fine - we’re in September and Georginio today, for instance, was one of our better players.

If players don’t get the adjustment and development time they don’t improve, look at Mac Allister when he started to when he left us - or Baleba who was our MOTM today.
Although I was angry the first half, I've calmed down now. We've lost our first game in 8 this season to Chelsea which was expected with our high line. I'm more annoyed at Hurzeler for not changing that than the players.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I was at Villa and Luton away last year, and here today.. the performance was miles better than either of those two shockers under RDZ.
However, the Webster error was defo on a par with last year against West Ham. Sadly he’s a mistake waiting to happen.
But tbf, Palmer’s free kick and his finish for the 4th were superb.
Great free kick. Which they only got because they cut us apart again, probably a quarter of a covering Dunk leg from a red card too.

First half was like an expert chef opening up a tin of tuna. We should have conceded about 7.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Fabian Hurzeler speaking to Match of the Day:

"We had a good start and controlled the game, had dominance in possession. We scored but afterwards we had too many individual mistakes and with too many individual mistakes you cannot win at Stamford Bridge. We should quickly learn from this."

"In possession we were good but to win games you need to be good in both phases and we didn't defend well."

"We are still in a process and we have to learn from this quickly. Every time we made a mistake they punished it and punished it quickly."

"We have to analyse, we have to be honest with each other and be better next time."

On what went wrong today:

"It is still a process and we need a good connection on the pitch and we did not have that connection today. It is my job as a head coach to improve these things."

"The first half you couldn't change anymore. We were disappointed about conceding that many goals but there were positive things. We tried to create some chances but I think Chelsea defended them quite good."

"In the end I think a bit of luck was not there for us. It was not our day and in the end I think we deserved to lose."

"We are all together - we win together and we lose together. We need to find a good balance, we can't lose our structure as quickly as we did. We all need to learn something, including me."

"There are not many players like Cole Palmer in the Premier League, he is special."
No argument with any of that from me

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m wondering if we’ll now see more teams attack us at the Amex rather than just spoil for draws - we are a bit of a mess at the back

Any opposition coach worth their salt should get them to play in their own half, with two or three speed merchants ready to run into our empty half when they win back the ball.

Aspinall summed it up … Chelsea passes on winning the ball back took out 8 Albion players. They didn’t need to worry about offside as they ran from their own half.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Although I was angry the first half, I've calmed down now. We've lost our first game in 8 this season to Chelsea which was expected with our high line. I'm more annoyed at Hurzeler for not changing that than the players.
I agree about the high line, but I think this is a philosophical thing and knew it would happen hence expecting a heavy loss. He has to change that when playing such quick opposition.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Who’s to blaming for him having to make two goal line clearances?

He was at fault for one but let’s talk about Bart beaten at the near post, Carlos not getting goal side and giving away two penalties in a week, Pervis no where near Palmer for the first.

Or how about the dangerous high line which made us drop 2 points at home to Forest but despite this we thought it would be ok against speed merchants sancho and Jackson being fed by palmer

Quite a bit wrong I’d say and it’s not just a mistake by Webster
We as fans NEED a scapegoat, today it was Webster but Dunky is coming up on the rails now :wink:

We got ripped apart under RDZ sometimes and it was never his fault, at least FH is accepting that things need tweeking

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Great free kick. Which they only got because they cut us apart again, probably a quarter of a covering Dunk leg from a red card too.

First half was like an expert chef opening up a tin of tuna. We should have conceded about 7.
Think it was actually Webster on the cover, but point stands.

Pervis isn’t the same player since his injury lay-off

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here