Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chelsea vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Pah; I guess we’re seeing the risk of gung-ho style high press system … I guess the core group (the Dunks et al) are adapting to another disposition, a demanding, draining process… alas, I suspect it’s taking its toll… the new guys seem (almost to a man) literally all over the shop… then again our famed recruitment algorithm seems to have a Dutch league blind spot, particularly when it comes to midfield and forwards…

Manu, Propper, Weiffer, Locadia, Minteh, Ali J - why do we expect any form of replication in terms of numbers? The fees keep going up, the stats… hmmmmm I don’t blame the players tbh, we need to fix this problem as it’s costing us time and time again.

As for Fab, like us - possibly? A victim of his success… but this squad is bloated with 10s and widemen and lacks anything resembling pace and defending ability at its heart… our recruitment smacked of we’re back… yep, minus any form of depth in defence… and (yet again) relying on Dutch signings to bridge the massive gap to the PL… what did we expect?

I still think we’ve got enough to repeat least seasons squib, and standing still is no disgrace… and maybe this time we’ll finally realise our Dutch folly and look elsewhere for genuine 30-40 million pound players.

It might be tricky one this year, but let’s get behind our young coach who (had a way of playing we knew about) yet failed to recruit where we needed to - in order for his system to have any chance.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I agree re Webster, but actually felt at times we matched them as a team, but our tactics gave them chances from very little.

Going to SB with Sancho and Palmer in great form and playing so high, just seems :shrug:
Agreed FH said we’d play low block when required but we waited until we were 4-2 down before we did, occasionally.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I still can’t get past the Webster brain fart, it’s quite irrelevant what he did afterwards because it was that mistake which did the real damage.
He makes a major mistake in EVERY match, just sometimes he gets away with it.
As a signing he’s up there with some of our worst in terms value for money.
That's not fair. He was good for a few seasons but he is a liability now.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Pah; I guess we’re seeing the risk of gung-ho style high press system … I guess the core group (the Dunks et al) are adapting to another disposition, a demanding, draining process… alas, I suspect it’s taking its toll… the new guys seem (almost to a man) literally all over the shop… then again our famed recruitment algorithm seems to have a Dutch league blind spot, particularly when it comes to midfield and forwards…

Manu, Propper, Weiffer, Locadia, Minteh, Ali J - why do we expect any form of replication in terms of numbers? The fees keep going up, the stats… hmmmmm I don’t blame the players tbh, we need to fix this problem as it’s costing us time and time again.

As for Fab, like us - possibly? A victim of his success… but this squad is bloated with 10s and widemen and lacks anything resembling pace and defending ability at its heart… our recruitment smacked of we’re back… yep, minus any form of depth in defence… and (yet again) relying on Dutch signings to bridge the massive gap to the PL… what did we expect?

I still think we’ve got enough to repeat least seasons squib, and standing still is no disgrace… and maybe this time we’ll finally realise our Dutch folly and look elsewhere for genuine 30-40 million pound players.

It might be tricky one this year, but let’s get behind our young coach who (had a way of playing we knew about) yet failed to recruit where we needed to - in order for his system to have any chance.
The Eredivizie recruitment has to stop!

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Post match Fab said (some decent direct questions from the interviewer) that if we can't get pressure on the ball higher up the pitch, then we need to drop.
But, I don't think that's possible during open play!! If we don't pressure in midfield then the oppo can fire a ball over the top for their runners...we have a nanosecond to "drop", it's not gonna happen! Need to have dropped before.
I was thinking this earlier today. And how can you do a low block in defence and high line in attack, again that's nanoseconds.

PlayMoran

May 19, 2023
I think Igor playing LCB next to van Hecke is worth a shot. He has more speed than Dunk.

Dropping Dunk won't be an easy decision.

A bit more recovery pace at CB takes Brighton to the next level. I'd look at Badiashile if he's available in January. Still only 23. Left footed CB with good athleticism.

Salisu is also worth looking at. His injury record might be a concern though.

The main difference between the two sides today was Palmer. Baleba was excellent in midfield. Wieffer and Hinshelwood learned a harsh lesson today. There's room for both to grow. Wieffer was always going to have an adaptation period.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
The Eredivizie recruitment has to stop!
Yeah absolutely- Van Hecke is proper sh*te.

:lol:

I think Igor playing LCB next to van Hecke is worth a shot. He has more speed than Dunk.

Dropping Dunk won't be an easy decision.
😟
The main difference between the two sides today was Palmer. Baleba was excellent in midfield. Wieffer and Hinshelwood learned a harsh lesson today. There's room for both to grow. Wieffer was always going to have an adaptation period.
This.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Today could have gone either way (forgetting the pre-match predictions). It was an amazingly entertaining first half, and either team (at that stage) could have come out on top.
Sadly, for us, it wasn't our day...and don't forget the money spent and the talent that Chelsea had on the pitch, let alone a truly inspired and record-breaking performance by Palmer.
We weren't embarrassed by that score at all, and it really could have ended in a draw/win/loss for either team.
Don't forget, it wasn't that long ago that we ripped them a new one, and it will happen again.
Onwards and upwards. :)

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
That's not fair. He was good for a few seasons but he is a liability now.
Is he? Made a couple of bad mistakes - made up for it second half.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I was thinking this earlier today. And how can you do a low block in defence and high line in attack, again that's nanoseconds.
Well ... and what if 1 decides to drop and 3 decide to stay in that nanosecond?

This can;t be the responsibility of the players. They need clearer instructions

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well, I was prepared to give them all 3 months or so, so I'm not panicking yet.
That wasn’t my point. My point was their start points, from which they should certainly improve as they train and get used to English football, are far worse than I would have expected for the money.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
I used to regard Lewis Dunk as a dependable defender but now I don't see him in the same light anymore. He is still a crucial team player, our captain, but I don't think he is as reliable as he used to be. Perhaps it's him or this new play style.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I'm really not that keen on having such a specific way of setting up to play (e.g. the very high line).
It means endless analysis videos all over YouTube, and focused oppo coaching to counteract this.
I would like us to be unpredictable in how we set up and play. Maybe that makes coaching much harder, maybe too hard 🤔.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I used to regard Lewis Dunk as a dependable defender but now I don't see him in the same light anymore. He is still a crucial team player, our captain, but I don't think he is as reliable as he used to be. Perhaps it's him or this new play style.
It's obviously the new style. Thought he did well today - not his fault we were constantly exposed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here