Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Caroline Lucas MP Discrace!!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Great! Looks like we're all agreed that she could set up an automated email response. So Bold Seagull, will you go into her office and take that on? :)

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Perhaps "discrace" is a little over the top however I bet Dave Lepper would have responded by now.

So when you get in touch with her, will you apologise to her for calling her that?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm sure you would get a fantastic response if you contacted The Daily Snail.... they love "..attacks on Middle England "

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Despite any other faults he may have that is one thing you cannot accuse Nicholas Soames of as he is very good at answering letters, although in most cases it is non committal and he says he will contact the department and ask them to answer directly. But at least he does something rather than just ignore it.

A few observations/suggestions from my experiences when acting as administrator of my late father's estate a few years back.

1) Your mother isn't liable for for any outstanding tax, it is a matter for his estate and, therefore, the executors of his will.
2) This type of correspondence should not be going to your mother; the executors of your father's will, or administrators if he died intestate, should have arranged for any outstanding correspondence on his estate to go directly to them and obtained written confirmation from HMRC that this has been actioned.
3) Unless you have previously had confirmation from HMRC that his tax affairs are in order and finalised then I cannot see how probate can have been granted, if indeed it has?

Frankly, I would give this one to the executors, it's their job and they should have sorted all this out by now.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
I would personally phone them again, get permission from your mum to speak to them on your behalf.
Also send them another letter via special delivery asking for a reply. This will ensure they get it, you then have proof of posting so there are no excuses.

I know its bloody frustrating just hang on in there.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
A few observations/suggestions from my experiences when acting as administrator of my late father's estate a few years back.

1) Your mother isn't liable for for any outstanding tax, it is a matter for his estate and, therefore, the executors of his will.
2) This type of correspondence should not be going to your mother; the executors of your father's will, or administrators if he died intestate, should have arranged for any outstanding correspondence on his estate to go directly to them and obtained written confirmation from HMRC that this has been actioned.
3) Unless you have previously had confirmation from HMRC that his tax affairs are in order and finalised then I cannot see how probate can have been granted, if indeed it has?

Frankly, I would give this one to the executors, it's their job and they should have sorted all this out by now.
All good points, however the entire estate was naturaly left to my mother, and probate wasnt required.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I emailed 300+ MPs during the Falmer campaign. Only a handful ever got back to me.

I wrote to Sir Menzies Campbell and he never got back to me.

I wrote to Tony Blair and an aide got back to me within about two weeks.

Can I point out that you wrote again 7 days later, as opposed to 10 days of nothing?

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
You've missed the point I already tried to get in touch! And and if she asks me to justify why I called her a discrace I will apologise only if she can justify why she hasnt responded!

I know you've tried to get in touch. That is the whole point of the thread, or at least a big part of it. What I am asking is that when you eventually get a response from her, will you own up to her that you've called her a "discrace" on a public forum and that this was over the top?

Unless she reads avidly NSC (which would explain why she's been tardy in responding to her emails!), she won't know that you've called her this. As for this "I'll apologise if she can justify" routine, I contend that you want others to do the right thing by you but you don't seem prepared to set a good example.

All good points, however the entire estate was naturaly left to my mother, and probate wasnt required.

Even if a grant of probate/representation doesn't look to be required then it is the role of the executors/administrators to confirm this and to ensure that there are no other assets or potential claims/liabilities etc. This nonsense with HMRC falls into the latter category and (IMO) they should sort it out.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
On the 15 March this year my father unexpectedly passed away, naturaly a period of greiving for my mum, me and brother followed with amongst many things his personal affairs such as insurance, pensions, the list is endless as many will testify, my father was retired and recieved a generous pension from his ex employers which naturaly was taxed, we believe that he anualy retuned his tax return on time. Within a week of his passing we informed HMRC of his death and sent a death cert. on their advice, the advisor on the phone suggested that then on receipt the pervebial account was closed!

July of this year my mother (77) starts receiving tax demands, the first few still in my late fathers name!! now with the courtsey of (deceased) c/o, for sums ranging from £800-£1100 still owed, my mum wanted to just send them the money and be done but we said no and my partner got written permision to act on my mums behalf and started acting.

After a decent conversation with an agent who clearly showed empathy it was agreed quite rightly thatmy mother doesnt owe a bean to HMRC, so we thought that was that, but nope after a gap of two months my mum has recieved yet another demand!

On the 3 December we wrote via email to Caroline Lucas (my mothers MP) asking for her help and advice, after 10 days of nothing, not even an automated response or perhaps contact from an assistant we wrote again on the 10 December and as of yet still no response,I'm f***ing livid with her, she has been elected to serve the people of Brighton Pavilion and she hasnt even got the decency to respond, apart from my anger with HMRC I genuinly thought this women would at least repond and perhaps offer an opinion!!

You might also consider writing to the Permanent Secretary of HMRC , Dave Hartnett. The HMRC are huge and like any huge organisation there will be communications problems. That doesn't mean it isn't distressing. Writing to the Perm Sec will probably get it looked at by someone independent of the actual office looking at the problem. You should get a reply in a week or so. The place where I work is trying turn around most correspondence in 48 hours.

In all reality the only thing that Caroline Lucas would do (and so would most MP's) is forward your letter to the relevant Government minister,which will get you more or less the same reply as you would get from writing to the perm sec.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I know you've tried to get in touch. That is the whole point of the thread, or at least a big part of it. What I am asking is that when you eventually get a response from her, will you own up to her that you've called her a "discrace" on a public forum and that this was over the top?
Of course I will.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here