Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Carole.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Carole on his day is a QUALITY player, as shown by his performance at Elland Road in particular (yes, up against Harding, but that would suggest he'd have a stormer in league 1).

Unfortunately, his crossing is questionable, and his commitment isn't convincing given the way he faded so badly after a good start. Then again, he did play in the majority of our matches, so may have been tired.

Not sure what to think, but i'm sure Hart or Reid will be capable at right wing in League 1, but won't offer nearly as big a threat

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Not suprised by this, carole is talented and despite his final ball not being the best was by far the best attacking player for us all season. In a team full of players with confidence and central midfielders who can CREATE things for the team I think he will do well at leeds, good luck seb.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Don't really want him to go, simply because the money won't get re-invested in the team.

If we desperately need the money to keep us afloat, fair enough. Otherwise, don't want any players sold.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
I know for a fact that Deano was looking forward to working with Seb which im sure would help him. Obviously this looks like its not going to happen now but ............

Its not cut and dried yet

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Withdean Wanderer said:
Not sure what to think, but i'm sure Hart or Reid will be capable at right wing in League 1, but won't offer nearly as big a threat

But will offer much more to the team defensively - Carole contributed next to nothing in that respect.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Starry said:
The full thing says "Albion will almost certainly hold out for a fee" and goes on to say about him being out of contract next summer etc.
Which is a dodgy piece of spin for what actually is the case - he's under contract for another year with us. Of course we'll 'hold out for a fee'. We're more than entitled to one.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
That's life, anyone is for sale if the price is right. :down:

It baffles me that much of the comments on this thread are critical of Seb and that most seem fairly indifferent about him staying if we pick up a couple of hundred-thousand.

For this money, we will definitely not get a better player than him, even if the fee was available to be reinvested rather than go on judicial reviews - we were very lucky to find a player of his calibre in the first place.

Seb is one of the few Brighton players in recent years who has really got my old heart pumping watching him play, I guess if Brighton fans don't want him though, he is better off at Leeds :nono: :nono: :nono:

Certainly watching the Albion next season will be more boring without him - I'm absolutely gutted to be honest.

I'm not one for criticising the board but if there is no contractual obligation, I would be very pissed off with them if they voluntarily let him go for £200,000 - he could be a real match-winner/gamebreaker for us this coming season :(

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:

Seb is one of the few Brighton players in recent years who has really got my old heart pumping watching him play

Are you coming out?

Joking aside, if that money allowed either gnw or Thorne to be brought in would it be acceptable to sell him?

Kinky Gerbils said:
Are you coming out?

Joking aside, if that money allowed either gnw or Thorne to be brought in would it be acceptable to sell him?

I don't think so - Seb offers a unique threat that no other current Brighton player can replicate in midfield. No other current Brighton player can paralyse a defence with his kind of direct running.

Half the problem with Seb last year was the low standard of striker we had for him to play off, it defeats the object to bring in better forwards and then offload our greatest attacking threat from midfield.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:
I don't think so - Seb offers a unique threat that no other current Brighton players can replicate in midfield. Half the problem with Seb last year was the low standard of striker we had for him to play off, it defeats the object to bring in better forwards and then offload our greatest attacking threat from midfield.

Maybe - But as Knight showed you dont need a creative midfielder as much at this level to score.

Kinky Gerbils said:
Maybe - But as Knight showed you dont need a creative midfielder as much at this level to score.

I'm not that heartened with that parallel to be honest. I know we will never agree on this, but even League 1 defences had Knight sussed after his first few months with us, and he found scoring very difficult from then on, we relied more on the brute force of Benjamin and Iwelumo to get us up, together with a rock hard defence led by Cullip that didn't leak goals.

All very different this time round, scoring enough goals will be the key to our season and it won't be easy, even in League 1.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:
I'm not that heartened with that parallel to be honest. I know we will never agree on this, but even League 1 defences had Knight sussed after his few months with us, and he found scoring very difficult from then on, we relied more on the brute force of Benjamin and Iwelumo to get us up, together with a rock hard defence led by Cullip that didn't leak goals.

All very different this time round, scoring enough goals will be the key to our season and it won't be easy, even in League 1.

I see no reason why the defence can not be the key again if a left back is brought in.

I know we are not going to agree about Knight just the only example i could think of!

I honestly think with Hammond (on form) and Fruity if selling Carole to bring in a decent striker there is enough to worry teams.

London Irish said:
Seb is one of the few Brighton players in recent years who has really got my old heart pumping watching him play

That's because you've only BEEN watching Brighton in recent years. He's no more exciting than Jeff Minton, Paul McDonald, Peter Smith or even Clive Walker. :skills:

Carole would be a luxury player in this division. If he stays, great. If not then we all know Gary Hart can do more than a job to help us back up. And all the time McGhee's in charge we're never going to the blue and white Brazil. :longball:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Safeway said:
That's because you've only BEEN watching Brighton in recent years. He's no more exciting than Jeff Minton, Paul McDonald, Peter Smith or even Clive Walker. :skills:

Carole would be a luxury player in this division. If he stays, great. If not then we all know Gary Hart can do more than a job to help us back up. And all the time McGhee's in charge we're never going to the blue and white Brazil. :longball:

You forgot John Crumplin and Stuart Myall.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
I'm not that heartened with that parallel to be honest. I know we will never agree on this, but even League 1 defences had Knight sussed after his first few months with us, and he found scoring very difficult from then on, we relied more on the brute force of Benjamin and Iwelumo to get us up, together with a rock hard defence led by Cullip that didn't leak goals.

In fairness Knight was still scoring in the second half of the season. The style changed once McGhee arrived and there was more reliance on a target man.

Safeway said:
Ah, but let's be honest, how many times have you seen Carole play, two or three? :wave:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Safeway said:
. He's no more exciting than Jeff Minton, Paul McDonald, Peter Smith or even Clive Walker. :skills:

What a load of bollocks, Carole early season was the most skilfull and exciting player I have seen at this club since Peter Ward. Peter Smith? :lolol: :lolol: :jester: Were the other 3 a joke as well? ???

I'll be sorry to see him go, he did go off the boil once winter arrived but although criticiscm of his final ball is fair, who was actually ever in the right place for the crosses, even if they had been good ones?

Last edited:

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Trigger said:
I can't imagine his relegation release clause (someone definitely said he had one) would be that much to be honest... :nono:
Ok, well i didn't expect it to be f*** all.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Fruity could go for free aswell in that case.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here