Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Can we talk about Sanchez ?

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I think RDZ is beginning to put his mark down and it is clear he looks for players with a strong mentality, team ethic, passion and receptive to his ideas. Steele has that, Sanchez strikes me as the calm type and more his own man.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more speculation about Sanchez moving on and possible destinations.
Thinking back... during the weeks before Steele was put into the PL start team, RDZ said more than once that Jason was a very important member of the squad, being quite vocal and very supportive in the dressing room.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This is only a ‘problem’ because Sanchez wants out. A few weeks back no one was bothered by Steele in goal, Sanchez on the benchb
Not so long ago that many on here were pin-pointing a need to buy a new back-up/competition GK for Sanchez because they never wanted to see Steele between the posts for us in the PL! I wonder if they're the same ones rubbishing Sanchez now that De Zerbi has opted for Steele as his number 1?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Sanchez is a fantastic goalkeeper for his age, I think recency bias really does cloud people.

Steele is a decent keeper but better footballer and so better suited currently to RDZ style.

I hope Sanchez doesn’t go as it’s short term gain long term pain if he does, it would cost a lot of money to replace a goalkeeper of his quality.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Not so long ago that many on here were pin-pointing a need to buy a new back-up/competition GK for Sanchez because they never wanted to see Steele between the posts for us in the PL! I wonder if they're the same ones rubbishing Sanchez now that De Zerbi has opted for Steele as his number 1?
Maybe, but then again I could see quite easily why Steele was written off on paper based on previous club history.

He has proved the doubters wrong though

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Amazed at how many poster are throwing Big Bob under the bus! Some people have very short memories. He is and will continue to be one of the best keepers in the league. Steele is doing ok and is a better keeper with his feet but Sanchez is no slouch with his feet (remember the goal he set up at Anfield) and Bob is by far the superior keeper in every other aspect. He has made a few mistakes but he is a young keeper. I don’t remember him volleying one in his own net yet. All keepers will make mistakes!

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Naylor just tweeted “De Zerbi, asked if Sanchez is training with the squad at the moment: "He decided everything. Robert decided everything at the moment. He wanted it this way (not travelling to be on the bench). Not me, not the club."

Sounds like Sanchez is on the way out.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
It's over.

Hard to think otherwise you'd have to say. Dropping Sanchez was a big move, and one that's paid off in terms of having a keeper in Steele that suits our style of play. I mentioned on the loanee thread that his could be Rushworth's chance to step up if Big Bob either a) doesn't force himself back into the first team or b) remains unsatisfied on the bench.

It's a real shame though. I think Sanchez is a fantastic keeper with loads of room to continue to improve but, if he's refusing to travel with the squad at such a critical juncture, then he is most likely a goner. What we cannot afford now is distractions

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If we lose our last 4 matches and Spurs get 2 points from Leeds and Brentford we finish 8th and out of Europe. Ergo, if Steele is injured vs Newcastle then we will need Sanchez.

How can a professional footballer down tools like this at the business end of the season?

Affy

Silent Assassin
Aug 16, 2019
Sussex by the Sea
I like both Steele and Sanchez. Either in goal is fine by me. It’s a shame that we appear to be losing Sanchez but, in his defence, he is superb keeper who is apparently nearly out of contract. if he has been to,d he isn’t first choice anymore, it’s not unreasonable for him to be looking at other options. The season is almost over so maybe this isn’t so much about toys out of the pram as being available to speak to other clubs as and when he wants to?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I like both Steele and Sanchez. Either in goal is fine by me. It’s a shame that we appear to be losing Sanchez but, in his defence, he is superb keeper who is apparently nearly out of contract. if he has been to,d he isn’t first choice anymore, it’s not unreasonable for him to be looking at other options. The season is almost over so maybe this isn’t so much about toys out of the pram as being available to speak to other clubs as and when he wants to?

I'm sure he can fit in talking to other clubs AROUND training and sitting on the bench.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sad to hear. What happened to fighting for your place ? An injury or a couple of iffy games from Steele and Sanchez is back in the picture. No player can ever be considered undroppable.

Maybe there's some other factor in the background here. It didn't take long for things to go sour with Trossard. RDZ doesn't suffer fools, it would appear.

Affy

Silent Assassin
Aug 16, 2019
Sussex by the Sea
If we lose our last 4 matches and Spurs get 2 points from Leeds and Brentford we finish 8th and out of Europe. Ergo, if Steele is injured vs Newcastle then we will need Sanchez.

How can a professional footballer down tools like this at the business end of the season?
He is still under contract so, in those circumstances, could be “made” to play. But if a player doesn’t want to be here, then I’d rather they went personally. It hasn’t affected us much in the past. Mitoma for Trossard, Caicedo for Bissouma, Sanchez for Ryan, Webster for White, Estupinan for Cucurella, RDZ for Potter. We’ve had a succession plan which has been flawless. I’m looking forward to seeing 12 year old Maximiolio Catchyballio signed from Bocca Juniors under 13s for £4 come into the first team next season before being sold for £250mmin 3 years time to the disgust of every entitled arsenal fan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here