Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Can we talk about Sanchez ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think RDZ is beginning to put his mark down and it is clear he looks for players with a strong mentality, team ethic, passion and receptive to his ideas. Steele has that, Sanchez strikes me as the calm type and more his own man.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more speculation about Sanchez moving on and possible destinations.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think RDZ is beginning to put his mark down and it is clear he looks for players with a strong mentality, team ethic, passion and receptive to his ideas. Steele has that, Sanchez strikes me as the calm type and more his own man.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more speculation about Sanchez moving on and possible destinations.
Good post. Agree with all these points.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bob cant save Pens if his life depended on it whereas weve seen Jason save a few so I'm not sure there is that much in it tbh. I cant exactly remember a catalogue of world class saves by Sanchez. It sounds like he's also downing tools which is only going to end one way. Out on loan.

Rushworth is going to be better than both of them anyway and will have the jersey in a couple of years.
Sanchez made many fantastic saves that gained us/saved us points! I know people are delighted with what De Zerbi's doing and that Steele is an upgrade at the passing game, but I don't know why so many people have this urge to re-write history and down-play everything Sanchez did. The buzz when he replaced Ryan was terrific, and when he was picked for Spain - we couldn't get enough of our brilliant youmg GK! I don't see the need to pretend different.
He did'nt do very well at claiming that one cross at Selhurst Park this season...
Yeh, yeh, yeh, like that's the only thing that Sanchez ever did for us........................ :facepalm:

P.S. All GKs make mistakes sometimes!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Where's this stat? Someone posted the comparison the other day that showed the opposite.
From the PL stats site. Sanchez has played 23 games Steele 11. Jason has a slightly higher save % and has kept as many clean sheets and Sanchez did but in half the number of games.

IMG_1527.jpeg

Team play is probably more telling when you look at why Steele is preferred. The passing stats are impressive for a GK, although Sanchez’s don’t look too bad either.

IMG_1528.jpeg

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
From the PL stats site. Sanchez has played 23 games Steele 11. Jason has a slightly higher save % and has kept as many clean sheets and Sanchez did but in half the number of games.

View attachment 160968

Team play is probably more telling when you look at why Steele is preferred. The passing stats are impressive for a GK, although Sanchez’s don’t look too bad either.

View attachment 160969
Yes but maybe he’s just lucky or something

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Sanchez will move on, tricky to say where.

Also difficult to predict what we will do, but my feeling is that Steele will start next season as number 1. He just seems the perfect fit.

My guess is we will buy someone to compete, cover and play cup games, Rushworth will come as 3rd keeper and start the process of working his way up, McGill will get a decent level loan and Scherpen will be sold.

I believe he's out of contract this summer and we haven't offered him a new deal as of yet.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
I believe he's out of contract this summer and we haven't offered him a new deal as of yet.
He is, he signed a new one year deal last summer and there was no mention of an option as there has been on other extensions. There was talk that he wanted to move on last summer in search of game time so I'm imagining that’s still the case now.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
They have very dissimilar sets (ie Sanchez' is much larger, if we're talking about PL appearances). Also the stats aren't (I presume) taking into account the difficulty/quality of the saves.
At what point does Steele qualify to be compared then ? How many games ? He has a reasonable representative sample now.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Sanchez made many fantastic saves that gained us/saved us points! I know people are delighted with what De Zerbi's doing and that Steele is an upgrade at the passing game, but I don't know why so many people have this urge to re-write history and down-play everything Sanchez did.
It seems to be the way of things at the moment. It happened with Trossard, Maupay and Ryan as well.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The important stand out stats in that are the passing, Steele is so much more a RDZ player, actually outfield players would be proud of them, never mind a keeper.
Exactly - as shot-stoppers, there’s not much between them. They both make the odd mistake (all keepers do), and they’re not far apart on claiming crosses - it’s the ball-playing that’s the key difference.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
He is, he signed a new one year deal last summer and there was no mention of an option as there has been on other extensions. There was talk that he wanted to move on last summer in search of game time so I'm imagining that’s still the case now.
Albion often don't mention an option, even when one is included in the deal.

As for McGill, the club originally announced on June 3 2022 that they had activated options on him and a number of other U-23 players (they had previously reported on April 26 2021 that he had been offered a new contract, without any mention of the length of deal or any option). Then, on July 29 2022, they announced that he had signed a new deal.

As the club had activated their option in June, he would have been under contract for this season. The announcement of the new deal in July would strongly suggest to me that it included new terms and quite possibly (probably) a further option. It would be very unlike Albion to allow a promising younger player come to the end of their deal with no club control remaining.

All of that doesn't preclude him moving on this summer, of course, but I'd be very surprised if we didn't have an option on him for next season.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Hmmm. This whole Steele or Sanchez thing has become a bit divisive now.

I long for the old days when the manager just choose the better goalkeeper - which is Sanchez.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
This is only a ‘problem’ because Sanchez wants out. A few weeks back no one was bothered by Steele in goal, Sanchez on the benchb

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Albion often don't mention an option, even when one is included in the deal.

As for McGill, the club originally announced on June 3 2022 that they had activated options on him and a number of other U-23 players (they had previously reported on April 26 2021 that he had been offered a new contract, without any mention of the length of deal or any option). Then, on July 29 2022, they announced that he had signed a new deal.

As the club had activated their option in June, he would have been under contract for this season. The announcement of the new deal in July would strongly suggest to me that it included new terms and quite possibly (probably) a further option. It would be very unlike Albion to allow a promising younger player come to the end of their deal with no club control remaining.

All of that doesn't preclude him moving on this summer, of course, but I'd be very surprised if we didn't have an option on him for next season.

In the local press here it was reported that he is out of contract this summer and McGill said “I don’t know what the future holds, I haven’t made a decision. I don’t think the club has made a decision yet,” he said of Brighton. “Because we haven’t had those conversations yet.”

Doesn't give any clues if the club has an option or not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here