Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can Robert Peston please just FU*K OFF !

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Point is... is he lying? Or distorting the truth?

When you have the Daily Mail putting its sensationalist spin headlines about immigrants or Europe or drugs or whatever you take it with a pinch of salt because you know it's pandering to some people's worst prejudices and fears - thereby exaggerating a problem which may not exist or may not affect many people directly.

But is that what Peston is doing here? Are you suggesting that he should involve himself in a conspiracy of silence when things in banking or the market aren't going well? Is that responsible journalism?

If he is reporting that things are bad, is it not because things are bad?

Its the slant he puts on it Al.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I wouldn't piss on Peston if he was on fire in my house. The man is a c*nt. There is not one single journalist in the whole world who I hate more than Peston. He is a patronising prick who thinks he knows everything there is to know about the worlds financial situation. What really annoys me more, is he thinks he finds this stuff out first. The Telegraph and the FT were the first to break this news story on the 5th January, albeit with slightly inflated numbers on the job losses. He is a wank journalist, and the BBC should find someone to replace him immediately. If he spoke to me personally, like he does to the millions of people watching him on the tv, then i'd smash his teeth down his neck. I hate the prick.

Oh and he doesn't report things factually either, the doom and gloom spin is always his angle, and it fucks me off. Is it any wonder that this country is on its knees worrying about the future when you have pricks like that advising the nation.

This has to be the post of 2012 so far.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Which slant do you want then?

Distorted ones? Untruthful ones? Positive upbeat ones?

Please read what I have said in my posts, it explains my feelings quite well.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Martin Lewis is a similar " self declared expert " with no qualifications to his name. I used to dislike him, but now have a certain respect for him as he at least trys to go some good for the public.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have, and all you're doing is shooting the messenger.

I don't know what you mean. Peston is putting a negative and hysterical slant on every bit of bad data. It is open to interpretation and Peston ALWAYS take the worst case scenario, the Doomsday scenario and predicts the end for us all. This seeps into people's heads if drip fed day by day for 1500 days and it will be hard to get the public to shrug off that mindset when this financial nightmare does finally end. As I said there are still lots of people with lots of money but they are not spending. We will need to spend one day for the economy to recover. Peston is doing all he can to prevent this imo.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I thought the first half a dozen lines from Uncle's post was a personal statement :lol:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I don't know what you mean. Peston is putting a negative and hysterical slant on every bit of bad data. It is open to interpretation and Peston ALWAYS take the worst case scenario, the Doomsday scenario and predicts the end for us all. This seeps into people's heads if drip fed day by day for 1500 days and it will be hard to get the public to shrug off that mindset when this financial nightmare does finally end. As I said there are still lots of people with lots of money but they are not spending. We will need to spend one day for the economy to recover. Peston is doing all he can to prevent this imo.

One person with no statutory or business powers is stopping international money markets and banking from operating efficiently and well?

Are you going to blame Barry Davies for England's demise since 1966 for his less-than-complimentary views on the national side?
Are you going to blame Nelson Mandela for apartheid because he said some negative things about it?
Are you going to blame NSC for Selhurst Park being such a toilet just because we've said it's a toilet?

Blaming one journalist for international financial problems is beyond potty. Not for the first time, you're looking in the wrong place for a scapegoat.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
One person with no statutory or business powers is stopping international money markets and banking from operating efficiently and well?

Are you going to blame Barry Davies for England's demise since 1966 for his less-than-complimentary views on the national side?
Are you going to blame Nelson Mandela for apartheid because he said some negative things about it?
Are you going to blame NSC for Selhurst Park being such a toilet just because we've said it's a toilet?

Blaming one journalist for international financial problems is beyond potty. Not for the first time, you're looking in the wrong place for a scapegoat.

It my opinion Al and with respect I am not going to change it just because you tell me to.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It my opinion Al and with respect I am not going to change it just because you tell me to.
and plenty of people seem to agree with me. I know the form now, there are people who will make a point of disagreeing with every single post I ever do, just to hope to get a reaction or see me throw a strop, even if they actually agree with me. I am not stupid or paranoid and realise that is the game. You are one of those people Al. I am going to try not to react to the provocation I endure on here and stick to my views, try not to get into a slanging match and keep calm and carry on. Regards, Gareth.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

He does not have that power but, what he has is an almost daily platform to spread negativity and despair, nearly all his "reports" allude to things getting much worse before they get better. Any good business news is usually given with a caveat refering to yet another problem.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Point is... is he lying? Or distorting the truth?

When you have the Daily Mail putting its sensationalist spin headlines about immigrants or Europe or drugs or whatever you take it with a pinch of salt because you know it's pandering to some people's worst prejudices and fears - thereby exaggerating a problem which may not exist or may not affect many people directly.

But is that what Peston is doing here? Are you suggesting that he should involve himself in a conspiracy of silence when things in banking or the market aren't going well? Is that responsible journalism?

If he is reporting that things are bad, is it not because things are bad?

When it's a prediction of what is to come then it's not a case or lying, because it's an opinion, a forecast, and he's not saying the Earth will stop spinning, the predictions he offers are within the boundaries of possibilities, and as I've said, become MORE probably as a result of his prediction. George Soros highlights what share to buy, and loads of people follow his advice, and that increased demand alone can push the price up. Self fulfilling prophecies do happen in the markets, that is a given. What Preston seems to have done is straddled the divide between markets and the public, and has the ability to affect people perceptions of what their future holds, and how they should change their spending patterns accordingly.

I'm not saying what he should or shouldn't do, just that his constant bleating on about impending doom is not helping, in fact it is making such a prediction more likely to come true.

Should he ignore the fears he has for the future? No, but it would be nice if he did also highlight some of the successes, or the green shoots that appear from time to time, but back to US's take on this ..... doom and gloom, particularly as he has made such a big thing about it coming now needs to happen for him. It keeps him in work, and tbh, avoids a certain amount of egg on face if we do pull out of this in the short to medium term.

A market analyst who works for say Barclays Sharedealing may talk the market up to increase activity which is what helps their job, and Roberts career is helped by impending doom. Don't exaggerate his influence, or indeed what you may believe I think of him, I generally enjoy reading his stuff, but I do agree with US that his contant predictions of doom and disaster are contributing to the problem of spending levels being down.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Did Peston mention Tesco this morning ? I see the shares have plummeted 15% wiping out £5bn of its value.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
So, in short, Peston is to financial journalism as Uncle Spielberg is to NSC?

And you are another Bozza. Its funny but everytime I see a name come up on one of my threads I know from the person that it will be a negative thread or someone with nothing good to say about my posts. I may give people an open goal but people just love to take it. I did actually do a post ackowledging my problems with my mindset earlier Bozza and what I hoped to do this year to change, maybe you missed it ?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Strikes me as odd that Robert Peston is attributed some blame for the Northern Rock collapse, and Paul Ruddock gets a knighthood and barely a mention.... Some odd people around. Peston says it as he sees it, if you don't like it, don't read it.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here