Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calm down dear

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Good point. And is Clapham_gull really sugesting that CMD is so out of touch he's never seen a TV advert?

I don't think politicians generally have the time (or the inclination) to revise the bits inbetween programmes and think how they could use them at Prime Ministers Question Time.

.. they leave that to the speech writers.

"You turn if you want to; the lady’s not for turning." - Thatcher ? No, Ronnie Millar a West End playwright.

She had to be intensively coached in saying it as well, so it sounded natural.

Last edited:

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Believe it or not - it's exactly how CMD got into power.

How much mileage was got out of Gordon Brown's 'bigot' remark?

Yes. But that was during an election and was used straight away as an attack. This was on PMQ's and before, wheather you like it or not, as massive media event. This will be forgotteren as for the next 5 days or so the media will be full of Royal wedding stuff. A week is a long time in politics.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
I don't think politicians generally have the time (or the inclination) to revise the bits inbetween programmes and think how they could use them at Prime Ministers Question Time.

.. they leave that to the speech writers.

Really? When was that advert first out? 2002? You dont think CMD ever watched an advert then?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
How much mileage was got out of Gordon Brown's 'bigot' remark?

not nearly as much as should have. it summed up labours scandalous and virtually treasonous attitude to the people under most pressure from immigration over 13 years of power, in a few unguarded seconds. it may have disappeared off the radar now, but I am sure when they in a hundred odd years discuss the massive demographic changes in the UK of the early 21st century, that remark may well be remembered as indicative of the power behind pushing it through. whereas cameron telling some other pointless self serving idiot to calm down in a patronising manner probably wont.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Really? When was that advert first out? 2002? You dont think CMD ever watched an advert then?

I think you missing my point. PMQs is a particular example where everything is rehearsed, responses pre-determined.

Is he probably well aware of the advert, but I doubt very much that he decided at the spur of the moment to reference it.

There are many politicians who come across as very natural, Cameron (like Blair) isn't one of them.

I'm not making a political point, just an observation of modern politics in general. The media jump on everything since news channels have 24 hours to fill. Whilst the economy is obviously the most important factor, unfortunately (in the minds of the news channels at least) it makes for very dry commentary and reporting.

So the most important story yesterday has to sit alongside this one. For that reason (and the reasons I've suggested above) - I'd imagine the advisors are pissed off this morning.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
not nearly as much as should have. it summed up labours scandalous and virtually treasonous attitude to the people under most pressure from immigration over 13 years of power, in a few unguarded seconds. it may have disappeared off the radar now, but I am sure when they in a hundred odd years discuss the massive demographic changes in the UK of the early 21st century, that remark may well be remembered as indicative of the power behind pushing it through. whereas cameron telling some other pointless self serving idiot to calm down in a patronising manner probably wont.
Totally agree. It was a scandalous remark, far worse than this ridiculous mountain over a molehill.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Totally agree. It was a scandalous remark, far worse than this ridiculous mountain over a molehill.

It wasn't just the remark though. It shone a public light into his personality. Brown immediately looked for someone to blame, rather than look at himself and how he completely mis-judged the lady.

I think Labour will be looking for something similar here - that it tells us something more about Cameron. Like who but a completely out of touch idiot would ever think of using a catch phrase from Michael Winner. It should be interesting to see whether it will stick.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I rather suspect the Prime Minister will continue to use the 'Calm down' line, with the re-inforcing double hand gesture.... but perhaps without the '... dear'.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
It wasn't just the remark though. It shone a public light into his personality. Brown immediately looked for someone to blame, rather than look at himself and how he completely mis-judged the lady.

i dunno about that, the majority senior politicians (especially during an election campaign) are so concerned with public profiles and media reactions that any sense of what they are really there to do must be massively distorted. i can imagine existing in a new labour media world for so long would mean that most of their first reactions would be to try and find fault in their own systems and organisation rather than admitting any element of human failing. we all knew brown had a rep for this sort of thing before then anyway.

he and a lot of his peers are pro multiculturalists as a doctrine, and their main weapon against opposition to that is to accuse any sceptics of being bigots. a very serious allegation in modern Britain. no debate no acceptance of an alternative point of view, just sling mud until enough has stuck. to do that to people who are sharing resources, jobs and communities with new arrivals with no preparation education or compassion for their position is the biggest betrayal of the people labour were founded to represent, and makes them a busted flush in my eyes. such a shame, we are now stuck with posh eton cnts for the next dozen years thanks to all that silliness.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I think Labour will be looking for something similar here - that it tells us something more about Cameron. Like who but a completely out of touch idiot would ever think of using a catch phrase from Michael Winner. It should be interesting to see whether it will stick.
I just went to get a cup of tea and found myself thinking much the same thing actually, on both points you make.

The simpering mannerisms of his gormless, perma-cake-baking wife suggest to me that he is the sexist out-of-touch type that yesterday's daft remark implies. But really, if Labour attack this as the worst that can be said about him, then I think that is a massively poor effort on their part.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

Exactly - Brown's personality flaws were well known and were exploited in Parliament for many months prior to the election. One of the reasons Sky refused to allow Brown to use his own microphone (as Blair had done previously and indeed as Cameron had been allowed to in the election campaign) was, as I suspect, the likelihood that his mask would slip and he would drop a complete bollock.

As I have mentioned before, I met Cameron when he worked for ITV and know a fair few people who worked with him then. This is not an out of character behaviour - he doesn't like being challenged and he hates having his errors picked up on - he also has suspect judgement on how to respond in these circumstances. Andy Coulson's job was to ensure Cameron was aware of what tabloid Britain was thinking and wanted to hear - and also how they wanted to hear it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
i dunno about that, the majority senior politicians (especially during an election campaign) are so concerned with public profiles and media reactions that any sense of what they are really there to do must be massively distorted. i can imagine existing in a new labour media world for so long would mean that most of their first reactions would be to try and find fault in their own systems and organisation rather than admitting any element of human failing. we all knew brown had a rep for this sort of thing before then anyway.
This part, I don't quite agree with. A reputation counts for little until you see proof. We all know what he was like thanks to the mutterings in the corridors of power, but really that comtemptable remark towards that life-long Labour supporting woman was the first real proof of what he was like. It certainly changed my opinion of him forever and meant that I wasn't going to vote Labour.

he and a lot of his peers are pro multiculturalists as a doctrine, and their main weapon against opposition to that is to accuse any sceptics of being bigots. a very serious allegation in modern Britain. no debate no acceptance of an alternative point of view, just sling mud until enough has stuck. to do that to people who are sharing resources, jobs and communities with new arrivals with no preparation education or compassion for their position is the biggest betrayal of the people labour were founded to represent, and makes them a busted flush in my eyes. such a shame, we are now stuck with posh eton cnts for the next dozen years thanks to all that silliness.
This, however, is absolutely spot on.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
we all knew brown had a rep for this sort of thing before then anyway.

That is what we were told - but there it was for all to see. But you are right - it was probably the bigot remark that did the most damage. She was a voter who had worries she wanted her party leader to hear about. And she was patronised and then insulted.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

This, however, is absolutely spot on.
Crikey Simster , you've changed your tune, whats happened , have the council housed a Somali family in your street or something ?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Why on earth does 3 little words warrant such a lengthy reponse. I think its firmly in the "Labour has to pick on every little thing it can" camp at the moment, tis the only way it would get a word in..

Frankly I found it funny, and so should a lot of other people.

I did. And talking of camp is it any coincidence that Labour got so uppity when their frontbench "woman" is basically probably in a fem/butch partnership, in the male role looking at her?
WIKIPEDIA:

"Eagle was joint winner of the British Girls' Under-18 chess championship in 1976.

She gained the distinction of becoming the British Parliament's first lesbian member by coming out in September 1997 in an interview with The Observer.[7] Maureen Colquhoun, an earlier lesbian MP, did not declare her sexuality until after she left Parliament. The first out lesbian MP at the time of election is Margot James.[8]

In September 2008, Eagle entered into a civil partnership with Maria Exall."

Al lezzas seem to resent being addresed as "dear" don't they?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Crikey Simster , you've changed your tune, whats happened , have the council housed a Somali family in your street or something ?

f***ing used rpg's and rusty kalashnikovs dumped shamelessly in the green garden waste wheely bin AGAIN and they totally ignored the warning stickers.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I just went to get a cup of tea and found myself thinking much the same thing actually, on both points you make.

The simpering mannerisms of his gormless, perma-cake-baking wife suggest to me that he is the sexist out-of-touch type that yesterday's daft remark implies.

Those last remarks seem to suggest you prefer the loudmouth, foul-mouthed butch male-hating version of a woman. Are you in fact a female or just a neutered metrosexual, one of Brighton's finest in fact?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
In posh Reigate? Don't be RIDICULOUS. :lolol:

I really haven't changed, but I fear you of all people look for things that aren't there sometimes. About 15 years ago (possibly before you arrived on this board), I remember getting cross at the reaction of a predominantly middle class audience in Question Time in Manchester when a working class woman in Oldham dared to suggest that everyone knew who was causing the problems, it was the Asians across the street. The audience whinced in indignation, the politicians seized on this and happily dodged her questions on the grounds it was racist. Most of the audience then presumably drove home to their nice homes in Cheshire and that woman went back to her Oldham slum with none of her genuine concerns answered. Five years later and the BNP registered 17% of the vote there. I wonder why?

But I'm not going to write off multiculturalism and immigration just because politicians are too scared to deal with the issues they represent. The problem is not the influx of new settlers, it is the way politicians pander to them and treacherously ignore those were there first. Gordon Brown was guilty of this in a very big way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here