Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calm down dear

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Because it's modern politics and things like these win and lose you votes. You're not offended by it which is great, but others are. And you're deluding yourself if you think that Cameron takes this lightly too - patronising a woman over being corrected on a point of fact. Not good.

Well the woman it was aimed at hasn't batted an eye lid - its all the men that have. If you don't have thick skin then politics isn't the place to be frankly. An overzealous response from male politicians if frankly just vote collecting. Ahhh isn't he nice to stand up for the poor woman (who doesn't really want to be stood up for).....

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
This. Noisy losers YET again and ROSM is the worst. The economy is growing and labour need something to shoot at. This reverse snobbery is a joke too. He said 'calm down dear' because he went to Eton? Do f*** off

Unfortunately Labour have too much to shoot at. They probably decided that the chance to reveal Cameron's patronising and arrogant trueself was too good an opportunity. The mask is slipping, people will see him for who he is soon, Clegg's already been sussed.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
I quite like Cameron, but thought that was misjudged and crass. The pictures of the braying conservative benches behind him was especially distasteful and exactly the sort of thing I thought Cameron was managing to rid the tories of. I know this sort of thing goes down well with a parties core support, but to floating voters like me it's a real turn off. And the worst thing is the conservatives don't need to try to land any knockout blows on labour, as they are utterly terrible in opposition having elected an awfu non-entity as leader and the shadow cabinet still contains some of the worst failures from the last government.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Why on earth does 3 little words warrant such a lengthy reponse. I think its firmly in the "Labour has to pick on every little thing it can" camp at the moment, tis the only way it would get a word in.

I was trying to give some context the the comment and the reaction which clearly many hadn't picked up on given the posts that are on this thread.

I wouldn't expect you to understand. Don't worry your pretty little head over it*

This. Noisy losers YET again and ROSM is the worst. The economy is growing and labour need something to shoot at. This reverse snobbery is a joke too. He said 'calm down dear' because he went to Eton? Do f*** off

Sorry you've missed the point. Show me where my post was riven by political bias? It wasn't.

As for the comment on the economy - in the last 6 months it has grown a whopping 0.0%. It is stagnant and is growing slower than the last 6 months of the labour term. But that is hardly relevant to this thread.

Well the woman it was aimed at hasn't batted an eye lid - its all the men that have. If you don't have thick skin then politics isn't the place to be frankly. An overzealous response from male politicians if frankly just vote collecting. Ahhh isn't he nice to stand up for the poor woman (who doesn't really want to be stood up for).....

Oh but she has batted an eyelid - she has asked for an apology. Whether she is right to do so is another thing, but to write what you have is incorrect.

*ironic

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Is there any point to PMQs?

I turn on the news to find out about the issues of the day and see the headlines are all about this stupid "sexist" row.

What is the f***ing point of politicians? Can anyone seriously tell me?
Could point well made. None of the people running the main parties look up to the job. In fact, Cameron is the best of a bad bunch.

And "Calm down dear"? It really isn't important. It's a bit crass, it's a bit sexist, and because of the context, it makes him sound a bit of a nob in my view, but really nothing worthy of the headlines.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Good grief - what a lot of fuss about bugger all. Labour should be concentrating on presenting their alternative policies rather than bitching about a throw away line. This and them complaining about Blair and Brown not getting an invite for Fridays bash somewhat show they have nothing to offer.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
For anybody on here debating this, to understand exactly how this will be perceived you need to look at the faces around Cameron when he said it.

Osborne looks like a baying hyena whilst Clegg looks very very uncomfortable even to the point of having to scratch an itch which body language experts say is a 'tell' of lack of comfort. It did not land well and will polarise opinion best as is clear on he where the fairly vocal Tory supporters have defended and the usually vocal labour supporters have criticised it. It's how it plays in the middle ground, and area that Clegg knows well, which will count and his reaction seems to give a view of that.

It also needs to be remembered the context that this came in. Cameron was quoting a letter by a former labour mp who is a gp, stating that his gp colleagues supported the nhs reforms. He started by referring to him as an ex labour mp who lost his seat at the last election and Angela Eagle corrected him by saying he stood down. It was at that point that the 'calm down dear' line was uttered and the barracking started.

It will be perceived by many as patronising, the leader of mumsnet has said that herself based on feedback from her members. It was a poor choice of a line and will be jumped upon as a sign that Cameron's mask is slipping. Anybody who has worked with him especially when he was at ITV will tell you that this is the real him rather that the carefully stage managed Cameron we have seen for the last couple of years. Since Coulson has left these real moments are coming more frequently.
And if my memory serves me correctly whats his name Millibland was pissing his pants at the time which is why ED Balls got involved.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
It also needs to be remembered the context that this came in. Cameron was quoting a letter by a former labour mp who is a gp, stating that his gp colleagues supported the nhs reforms. He started by referring to him as an ex labour mp who lost his seat at the last election and Angela Eagle corrected him by saying he stood down. It was at that point that the 'calm down dear' line was uttered and the barracking started.

This is the point I think - Cameron will be delighted by the fact that this "uproar" has happened about three little words, because it hides/get more attention than him going into PMQs with a little planned bit about a Labour MP but having his facts plain wrong.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Unfortunately Labour have too much to shoot at. They probably decided that the chance to reveal Cameron's patronising and arrogant trueself was too good an opportunity. The mask is slipping, people will see him for who he is soon, Clegg's already been sussed.
Oh well, another 4 years to go then!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
And if my memory serves me correctly whats his name Millibland was pissing his pants at the time which is why ED Balls got involved.

You are right - although Balls is unlikely to need a reason to get involved. He could start an argument in an empty room.

But in political terms this is likely to have played right into Labour's hands. Much like a Barrister never asks a question in court that he doesn't alreday know the answer to, politicians rarely make big deals about things unless they know there is more in the background. There have been for a few years now, many stories about Cameron's behaviour when under pressure and how he reacts to being corrected on issues of fact. I suspect that Labour's tactic is to get him to snap and for the mask to slip.

This is very similar to the Conservative jibes about Gordon Brown being a misogynist and not handling stress very well.

Is it correct? - probably not; is it edifying? - not really

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
You are right - although Balls is unlikely to need a reason to get involved. He could start an argument in an empty room.

But in political terms this is likely to have played right into Labour's hands. Much like a Barrister never asks a question in court that he doesn't alreday know the answer to, politicians rarely make big deals about things unless they know there is more in the background. There have been for a few years now, many stories about Cameron's behaviour when under pressure and how he reacts to being corrected on issues of fact. I suspect that Labour's tactic is to get him to snap and for the mask to slip.

This is very similar to the Conservative jibes about Gordon Brown being a misogynist and not handling stress very well.

Is it correct? - probably not; is it edifying? - not really
I think even Harmen was laughing which proves CMD has nothing to wory about, hell my Green voting GF found it very ammusing, and she cant stand the Toff.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
I think even Harmen was laughing which proves CMD has nothing to wory about, hell my Green voting GF found it very ammusing, and she cant stand the Toff.

I think in much the same way as I laugh when I see an opponent scoring an own goal perhaps. Although if you look at the clip below (which starts from Cameron's error of fact and goes through to the end of the answer), she doesn't seem to be laughing much and Milliband's laughter is more at how Cameron is trying to deal with it.

As I said before, look at Clegg's reaction as that is the key barometer for how the people who Cameron needs to impress if he wants a majority outright next time, reacted.

[yt]VWKBSYqtu7M[/yt]

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Good grief - what a lot of fuss about bugger all. Labour should be concentrating on presenting their alternative policies rather than bitching about a throw away line. This and them complaining about Blair and Brown not getting an invite for Fridays bash somewhat show they have nothing to offer.

No it doesn't.

They may have nothing to offer at present, but these little episodes don't show that.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
As I said before, look at Clegg's reaction as that is the key barometer for how the people who Cameron needs to impress if he wants a majority outright next time, reacted.

[yt]VWKBSYqtu7M[/yt]
So I'm to look at Clegg's reaction to measure whether the person on the street gives a damn?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
So I'm to look at Clegg's reaction to measure whether the person on the street gives a damn?

I would look at the clip from start to finish as it gives the context and thereal course of events rather than the clipped version that many here are commenting on. But Cameron doesn't need to impress all the people in the street - he knows he wont get the core labour vote and he know's he will get the core Tory one. He needs the waverers and middle ground if he is to get an outright majority (something he failed to achieve last time). Many of that middle ground voted for Clegg and the Lib Dems and so his reaction (as he is very savvy at knowing his audience so his is likely to be measured by how he perceives people think he should react) is a good barometer. Whether you like him or not.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Oh well, another 4 years to go then!

What actually are you contributing to the debate? Are you saying it was fine to say it, or that all politicians are just as bad, or that because others laughed it's okay? What? Even if you are a member of the Tory party, you can have a view on whether it was right or wrong. So far you've said f*ck all really!?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here