Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calm down dear

franks brother

He should resign because he's hopelessly out of his depth, not because of an off the cuff remark. He got his facts wrong anyway, claiming that a former Labour MP had lost his seat when infact he stood down last May. The man's a f***ing joke, but he shouldn't resign over a vaguely condescending comment

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
For anybody on here debating this, to understand exactly how this will be perceived you need to look at the faces around Cameron when he said it.

Osborne looks like a baying hyena whilst Clegg looks very very uncomfortable even to the point of having to scratch an itch which body language experts say is a 'tell' of lack of comfort. It did not land well and will polarise opinion best as is clear on he where the fairly vocal Tory supporters have defended and the usually vocal labour supporters have criticised it. It's how it plays in the middle ground, and area that Clegg knows well, which will count and his reaction seems to give a view of that.

It also needs to be remembered the context that this came in. Cameron was quoting a letter by a former labour mp who is a gp, stating that his gp colleagues supported the nhs reforms. He started by referring to him as an ex labour mp who lost his seat at the last election and Angela Eagle corrected him by saying he stood down. It was at that point that the 'calm down dear' line was uttered and the barracking started.

It will be perceived by many as patronising, the leader of mumsnet has said that herself based on feedback from her members. It was a poor choice of a line and will be jumped upon as a sign that Cameron's mask is slipping. Anybody who has worked with him especially when he was at ITV will tell you that this is the real him rather that the carefully stage managed Cameron we have seen for the last couple of years. Since Coulson has left these real moments are coming more frequently.

What you need to understand is that there is a Royal wedding tomorrow and no one will give two shits about this after it.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
What you need to understand is that there is a Royal wedding tomorrow and no one will give two shits about this after it.

True - Until the next time he gets riled at being corrected during PMQs. He's done it twice now and many people wouldn't have remembered him calling Balls the most annoying man in politics before easter, but it got linked to this.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
True - Until the next time he gets riled at being corrected during PMQs. He's done it twice now and many people wouldn't have remembered him calling Balls the most annoying man in politics before easter, but it got linked to this.

As long as CMD can get Labour talking about personalities and not polices, he is winning.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

I think it is difficult to know which incidents will have legs and which will be quickly forgotten. I can imagine this one coming back. I appreciate not everyone (maybe not many) will see it as offensive - but to patronise halfyour voting public was not a great move. Time will tell. I can imagine a future poster campaigh though.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
As long as CMD can get Labour talking about personalities and not polices, he is winning.

Not really, a survey indicated that just under half the people at the last election (42%) admitted to making their decision at least in part on personalities. As many Tory leaning people said on here during the last term when questioned what Cameron's policies were, that he didn't need to reveal them until the election campaign.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
That is because Thatcher said what she thought,did her thing and got results.

Like many Prime Ministers before and after, she often said what a speech writer thought.

.. and like many other Prime Ministers her philosophy was influenced by people behind the scenes.

Did you read the post ?

I'll reiterate, yesterday sounded to me something that had been given to Cameron by a speech writer and he used it at the wrong moment. Thatcher (like Cameron yesterday) often sounded extremely unnatural when being given things to say that she didn't really understand... and there are numerous examples.

So - yesterday, wasn't for the benefit of other politicians, it was for the benefit of the wider audience. I suspect that Cameron was "advised" that saying such a thing would go down well with the viewers because they would instantly associate it with the Michael Winner advert.

.. but I can't believe an adviser is so stupid as not to advise him to use with care.

You have to extremely careful as a politician trying to use popular cultural references. They usually back fire.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Like many Prime Ministers before and after, she often said what a speech writer thought.

.. and like many other Prime Ministers her philosophy was influenced by people behind the scenes.

Did you read the post ?

I'll reiterate, yesterday sounded to me something that had been given to Cameron by a speech writer and he used it at the wrong moment. Thatcher (like Cameron yesterday) often sounded extremely unnatural when being given things to say that she didn't really understand... and there are numerous examples.

So - yesterday, wasn't for the benefit of other politicians, it was for the benefit of the wider audience. I suspect that Cameron was "advised" that saying such a thing would go down well with the viewers because they would instantly associate it with the Michael Winner advert.

.. but I can't believe an adviser is so stupid as not to advise him to use with care.

You have to extremely careful as a politician trying to use popular cultural references. They usually back fire.

It's like the Thick of It and the Zeigeist tapes.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think it is difficult to know which incidents will have legs and which will be quickly forgotten. I can imagine this one coming back. I appreciate not everyone (maybe not many) will see it as offensive - but to patronise halfyour voting public was not a great move. Time will tell. I can imagine a future poster campaigh though.
I think this will prove to be very prophetic. I'm confidently predicting some posters from the opposition with the strap line "Calm down dear, it's only your children's education" under a picture of him in an out of context pose, when the cuts finally take hold in 2013.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
I think this will prove to be very prophetic. I'm confidently predicting some posters from the opposition with the strap line "Calm down dear, it's only your children's education" under a picture of him in an out of context pose, when the cuts finally take hold in 2013.

And 'most people' will say: 'Whats the f***ing point in that?!' as they wont understand/remember the reference.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

Why would he be advised to associate himself with Michael Winner ? Who does that play well with ?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No it doesn't.

They may have nothing to offer at present, but these little episodes don't show that.

Well if they do have any policies then they should start highlighting them and if they don't then they should start working on some rather than wasting their time on tosh like this. It's important we have a strong opposition and at the moment we have none.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Well if they do have any policies then they should start highlighting them and if they don't then they should start working on some rather than wasting their time on tosh like this. It's important we have a strong opposition and at the moment we have none.

Believe it or not - it's exactly how CMD got into power.

How much mileage was got out of Gordon Brown's 'bigot' remark?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here