Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderon leaving to go to Southampton [merged]

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
should have signed him months ago,in the game against Southampton at Withdean he was the best player on the pitch by a country mile!naive management,what a shame!

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
What part did they get wrong? Seems to me they've done very well to nip the whole thing in the bud and move on very early rather than wasting time (and missing out on other targets) whilst waiting to see if he fancies staying or not.

Exactly.

No point on wasting time on players who can't commit after we have showed them good faith etc

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
What part did they get wrong? Seems to me they've done very well to nip the whole thing in the bud and move on very early rather than wasting time (and missing out on other targets) whilst waiting to see if he fancies staying or not.

Agree with this. If his motivation is money, there's no way we can compete with the 15k a week that has been suggested elsewhere. Move on, find someone else (there are plenty out there) and plan for next season.

Joensuu

May 8, 2010
True to a degree. There are rumours that he was offered 15k a WEEK! This is against the 5k we offered. There is no wonder it happens when this kind of money is being thrown at him. Do you know how much your top earners are on at the moment?

15k is a huge wage for league one. I don't know how much our top earners are on, but I was under the impression our best paid were on around 8-9k. Our chairman has said he aims for us to be self financing, but we don't know when we will achieve this. Obviously, with no debts, no mortgage, and reasonably large crowds saints should be able to afford to pay a bit more than other teams. I still can't believe we'd have offered 15k though. I'm sure Poyet will find a more than worthy replacement.

Joensuu

May 8, 2010
we embarrased ourselves when you came here

To be fair we tried, but Brighton beat us on the break. They got the tactics right, stopped us from getting too many attempts on target and countered fast against the lack of pace of Jaidi and Trotman. Saints weren't embarrassing, we were just beaten by good tactics and determination. Brighton were the better side on the day.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Saints are taking a risk. Supposing he doesn't recover fully from his injury? Now that would be funny. Would serve Saints and Calderon right.

:rant:

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
Saints are taking a risk. Supposing he doesn't recover fully from his injury? Now that would be funny. Would serve Saints and Calderon right.

:rant:

Its thier gamble at the end of the day. He has a hip injury, nothing is certain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here