Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderon leaving to go to Southampton [merged]

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
After reading through this thread I thought it was worth registering just to apologise on behalf of Saints fans for the embarrassing goading by this Saint Considerably Richer character. Most saints fans are disgusted by this sort of 'loads of money' attitude. Please ignore these silly trolls who give saints fans a bad name.

(PS, not too sure about the 'hoofball' comments though...)

Cheers for that. Appreciate it. It is disgusting. Your club clearly made an approach to make Calderon aware of the interest. Pardew poached a very good player who was sourced from nowhere by Poyet by flashing the cash. It reflects appallingly on Pardew in particular and on your club.

May 8, 2010
He was offered a contract whilst injured with no guarantee he would return to playing at the same level before getting injured. We also gave him the chance to reserect his career, if he could not commit to us after we showed faith in him then good riddance.

No point in getting into a bidding war for a right back when Im sure we can bring in someone else.

Saints are going to end up with a huge squad of overpaid average players.

Fancy backing that up with any sort of fact? Because that is utter utter bollocks

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
It seems the Brighton fans had already decided on us.

Crawl out there arses. Goad them, im sure they were happy to see us relegated and financially struggling, so f*** them really.

I am arrogant, and greedy, but i can afford to be.

And, NO.

You really are a cock. And all this on the public sector time too. You should be f***ing ashamed of yourself.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
how is it not bollocks.... you obviously offered WAY more than calderon is worth. im assuming you'll do the same if you get barnes, and i shudder to think how much the wages are of the mercenaries you brought in january time. probably the only reason jose fonte signed is cos you paid him enough to think it was worth living as far away as possible from southampton, while still having to travel in every day for training.

once your billionnaire toblerone gets bored you are royally f***ed.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
He was offered a contract whilst injured with no guarantee he would return to playing at the same level before getting injured. We also gave him the chance to reserect his career, if he could not commit to us after we showed faith in him then good riddance.

No point in getting into a bidding war for a right back when Im sure we can bring in someone else.

Spot on to be honest. Calderon is a good player but I am actually more impressed that we got Painter on board. Left footed players are harder to come by than right backs. THe core of the team is the most important, Gus has a good moral code he sticks to and this club will not CHEAT like Saints, Pompey and Palace have done by paying more than we should. The way I understand it is Calderon is waiting for an offer from Saints it would serve him right if the offer was not very good or it fell through. Gus wants players who want to be here next season and on that basis I am afraid Jim McNulty can get lost as well.

Joensuu

May 8, 2010
Cheers for that. Appreciate it. It is disgusting. Your club clearly made an approach to make Calderon aware of the interest. Pardew poached a very good player who was sourced from nowhere by Poyet by flashing the cash. It reflects appallingly on Pardew in particular and on your club.

It's never fun being on the receiving end, it hurt when Hoddle, or Richards left us in the lurch, and when Bridge put money ahead of the club he claimed to support. It's never fun to feel you've had a player tapped up or poached, but I think that reflects more on the state of the modern game, and the way money tempts players like moths to a lightbulb, than it does upon Pardew. It might not seem fair, or honest, but he's just doing his job. I'm sure Poyet will uncover another gem for you as a replacement.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton

That's all very well, but Calderon was one of the few players in the squad who I felt was capable of playing at a higher level. Just how many players of his ability are playing in league 1, very few.

It's about ambition and this probably shows we are not as ambitious as we thought. No problem with that, of course we should play within our budget, but Falmer is promised to be a wonderful iconic state of the art stadium, which I thought showed our ambition, but if we can't afford the players to grace it we should have one for something like Colchesters stadium and saved something like £70 million!

Simple question, can we afford the type of players who will get us promotion
and then keep us in the Championship or are we just a slightly above average League 1 side?

BIRCHYBOY27

Nov 25, 2005
brighton
Ok i think Calderon was one of the most exciting players i have seen for a while... but Poyet pulled him from obscurity and turned him into a near cult figure and he can do it again. Ok so he wants to go onto what he thinks is bigger and better things but i have total confidence that Poyet can pull in two or three ,more "Calderons" for next season.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
Ok i think Calderon was one of the most exciting players i have seen for a while... but Poyet pulled him from obscurity and turned him into a near cult figure and he can do it again. Ok so he wants to go onto what he thinks is bigger and better things but i have total confidence that Poyet can pull in two or three ,more "Calderons" for next season.

As long as the scouting network is capable of finding them. I do trust Gus to find more players though. I think he'll be researching Spanish players A LOT.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
People need to stop equating MONEY with AMBITION.

Our club doesn't make any money at the moment and as such we are bankrolled by our very generous chairman who has already put an ENORMOUS sum of money into this club to secure the stadium. This is already far more than he could reasonably have been expected to do so to have people moan that he should be stumping up even more money, when we don't even know what has or hasn't been offered to players, is frankly pretty stupid.

As soon as you break the bank for one player the rules change and everyone is going to expect a serious wedge. We just aren't a big enough club to do that.

Even Champions League regulars Chelsea don't actually turn a profit each year.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
That's all very well, but Calderon was one of the few players in the squad who I felt was capable of playing at a higher level. Just how many players of his ability are playing in league 1, very few.

It's about ambition and this probably shows we are not as ambitious as we thought. No problem with that, of course we should play within our budget, but Falmer is promised to be a wonderful iconic state of the art stadium, which I thought showed our ambition, but if we can't afford the players to grace it we should have one for something like Colchesters stadium and saved something like £70 million!

and then keep us in the Championship or are we just a slightly above average League 1 side?

I see what you are saying but you cannot possibly suggest we are not ambitious just cause we let Calderon go. If you read the Albion site Gus says it was all agreed and the Calderon said he wanted to see what Saints would offer. After all Gus and Albion did for him plus offering a contract whilst the seriousness of his injury was not known he does that, not the kind of player Gus or we should want in our club.He was offered a decent wage and right backs are easier to find than say strikers. I have a feeling we will be a bit more ambitious in getting the spine of the side sorted (keeper, centre-back, centre-mid and striker). Don't forget we went unbeaten in games he did not play in and I am sure Gus will get a better right back in than Hoyte.

May 8, 2010

Shrewd business from the Saints then, no transfer fee involved so even better.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
It's never fun being on the receiving end, it hurt when Hoddle, or Richards left us in the lurch, and when Bridge put money ahead of the club he claimed to support. It's never fun to feel you've had a player tapped up or poached, but I think that reflects more on the state of the modern game, and the way money tempts players like moths to a lightbulb, than it does upon Pardew. It might not seem fair, or honest, but he's just doing his job. I'm sure Poyet will uncover another gem for you as a replacement.

True to a degree. There are rumours that he was offered 15k a WEEK! This is against the 5k we offered. There is no wonder it happens when this kind of money is being thrown at him. Do you know how much your top earners are on at the moment?

prawnsarnies

Jan 20, 2010
Nor 13th, getting 24pts less than us this season

Hey scum bag, can you tell me why your home fans couldn'y buy a programme
at your home game today? perhaps pikey Pardew said something out of turn and is pissing off Mr rich owner and thats why he had the programmes withdrawn from sale. Pardew wont be in your scum bag city next season for sure.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
He's a right back that will not be the main influence on us winning games next season.

The spine of the team is the most important, centre backs, centre mids and centre forwards. These are the areas where we want to spend the money.

If Saints want to spuff a load of wages on a right back then thats up to them.

He was offered a good deal from a manager who showed a lot of faith in him, if he wants a few extra quid then good luck to him.

May 8, 2010
Hey scum bag, can you tell me why your home fans couldn'y buy a programme
at your home game today? perhaps pikey Pardew said something out of turn and is pissing off Mr rich owner and thats why he had the programmes withdrawn from sale. Pardew wont be in your scum bag city next season for sure.

Failure at the printers, as reported by Solent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here