Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bring back Dean Wilkins

OK, I'll extend the record back to December

P27 W5 D8 L 12 Points 23, with a team that had been in a higher division the previous season.

This message board is as revisionist as Stalin's USSR.

Yes, they were relegated, they hadn't just won the Champions League. That team was playing badly, that is why McGhee was SACKED. Hardly surprising there was a shaky start. MA inherited a team playing well with money to spend so what does that say about him?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
OK, I'll extend the record back to December

P27 W5 D8 L 12 Points 23, with a team that had been in a higher division the previous season.

This message board is as revisionist as Stalin's USSR.

This particular case really does split the fans, doesn't it?

I felt that we were a club in terminal decline since we secured our Championship status against Ipswich. We had lost the backbone that had seen us fly through the leagues. We had sold/lost key players and had not replaced them. We didn't have any fight left in us and got relegated with a mere whimper (not even that).

Wilkins was thrown into the job without the benefit of having sole control of the team in pre-season and was left with a strikeforce that was as penetrating as a gnat's cock, a midfield in disarray and a threadbare back line. It was always going to be a struggle that season without some proper investment and a case of treading water. What is telling is that Wilkins appeared to be a fast learner and managed to turn things around in a relatively short space of time, despite having to rebuild critical parts of the team after Christmas.

I am not trying to paint him as some Arsene Wenger type figure and won't claim that he would have definitely improved on the 7th place finish, but he deserves a lot more respect than some people are willing to give him.

Dickyboy

Feb 2, 2009
rustington
Have you forgotten the shit football we played under wilkins never been to so many boring games this man is in the past lets move on and stop harping on about him or should we get mullers back he could do a job!:flameboun

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
Yes, they were relegated, they hadn't just won the Champions League. That team was playing badly, that is why McGhee was SACKED. Hardly surprising there was a shaky start. MA inherited a team playing well with money to spend so what does that say about him?

McGhee was sacked on a record of

W3 D1 L3, hardly a terrible record?

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
What is telling is that Wilkins appeared to be a fast learner and managed to turn things around in a relatively short space of time, despite having to rebuild critical parts of the team after Christmas.

How does W5 D8 L12 constitute 'turning things around'?

Adams was sacked on the basis of a record of

W6 D10 L13 ?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
How does W5 D8 L12 constitute 'turning things around'?

Adams was sacked on the basis of a record of

W6 D10 L13 ?

You are being very selective with your statistics. I was pointing towards the final tally of...

P46 W19 D12 L15

Besides, I am not arguing the merits of sacking Adams. Whether Adams would have improved on his record is now immaterial.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Adams came back for a second time and failed; how can the solution to that be to bring someone else back for a second stint?

As much as I quite liked DW when he was manager, it cannot be argued that he is a better candidate than Pardew, Ince or Boothroyd because it simply is not true.

We need to look to future with some new blood coming into the club. Maybe then we can finally put this DW saga to an end. He was a great servant to the club of course but he is no longer here so let's just forget about it.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
I think Dean Wilkins would do a Simpsons style "Ray Patterson" return to his job.

"I can't tell you how gratifying it is... to leave you wallowing in the mess you created. You're screwed. Goodbye"

*exit music*

That was a classic Simpsons episode, absolutely brilliant.

Wilkins coming back will not unite the fans. We need somebody fresh with no previous connections to the club. Not too bothered who but just want somebody from outside the circle.

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
So what? That has nothing to do with what we are talking about and everything to do with your agenda.

What agenda? You brought up the issue of McGhee being sacked for 'terrible football', not me.

I'm just pointing out that your comments are not backed up by results.

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
You are being very selective with your statistics. I was pointing towards the final tally of...

P46 W19 D12 L15

Besides, I am not arguing the merits of sacking Adams. Whether Adams would have improved on his record is now immaterial.

You're comparing Wilkins second season to Adams' first, who knows what Adams second season would have been like, or Wilkins third.

I do recall the Albion getting to the playoffs in 1991 under Barry Lloyd, and being relegated the following season............under Barry Lloyd.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I think given the disaster of MA's season, those fans would now give DW more of a chance than he got first time around. From the moment he was appointed he had the pro McGhee lobby on his back, remember the daily Uncle Spielberg threads?

And now we have the daily bhadeb/mouldy boots/ernest (and a few more) attacks on Dick Knight/Adams/The Board.

Nothing changes-just a new victim.

And now we have the daily bhadeb/mouldy boots/ernest (and a few more) attacks on Dick Knight/Adams/The Board.

But my point is that DW got this from day 1 as manager. DK, MA etc all had honeymoon periods.

D

Deleted member 2719

I have always had the view that Dean was mistreated and he was a good man and manager that wanted to serve Brighton and Hove Albion and i have no regrets in backing that man and i have always backed Knight until this historical cock up which has set us back in building a championship squad and cost the club money we can not afford and all for Dean upsetting him, it's pathetic and i can not understand how easily this distracted Knights focus.

If you at the top you have to be accountable for team affairs it is the manager and for their appointments and even transfers (at our club) that is the Chairman he has always been happy for the limelight so he should stand up and be counted just maybe he would have gained some respect by apologising for the dismissal of Wilkins.

Have you ever met Dick Bwian?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
You're comparing Wilkins second season to Adams' first, who knows what Adams second season would have been like, or Wilkins third.

I do recall the Albion getting to the playoffs in 1991 under Barry Lloyd, and being relegated the following season............under Barry Lloyd.

No no no. Nowhere did I compare and contrast Dean Wilkins with Adams. You made that jump yourself.

D

Deleted member 2719

But my point is that DW got this from day 1 as manager. DK, MA etc all had honeymoon periods.

You have a valid point Lokki.
Now if he were Peter Ward they would have given him 2 years of poor results i have always judged a Manager that was a player on there managerial qualities not on their playing days.

Good thread by the way.

:thumbsup:

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008

Is there any evidence to support this opinion?

People have been calling for MA to go since October, hardly a honeymoon period.

DW had five straight defeats when he was appointed, that may have had a bearing in the criticism.

In both cases fans expect too much, too soon.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Wilkins with his own choice of backroom staff, preferably an older, wise head as assistant would be great.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here