Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bring back Dean Wilkins

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I would love it for Wilkins to come back in some sort of capacity. We obviously lost a bit of professionalism on the training pitch when he departed. The pre-season training was described as 'fun' by some players and then there seemed to be a lot of running.

However, if the trust broke down between the board and Wilkins then it would never work and would not be wise to go there. I wish Wilkins had accepted the role of coach, but understand why he felt he could not.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I recall Forster speaking out and also who can forget George O'Callaghan outburst. He did not get the best out of all the players. He just knew the youth structure inside out and got the best out of them.

What did either of them say? I remember O'Callaghan criticising Dick Knight about contractual issues.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
well if we are going to continue to play games of bringing back past managers to the scene of their success or failure (always both depending on who is looking) why not McGhee or Coppell or Taylor or Adams again or White and Booker or.............oh shit :down:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I know it's a long shot but surely it's a better appointment then Slade, Ince, Pardew, Dowie etc etc? Give him the money and backing that MA enjoyed and let's see what he can really do.
I want to agree with you, and like a lot of people I thought his sacking was at best premature and at worst was a despicable act of cowardly back-stabbing that demonstrated a complete lack of loyalty and support.

However I don't think it would unite the fans. There were more than a few moans last season about the quality of football (little did they know!) and there is undoubtedly a section of the fanbase who were glad to see the back of him. I'm not sure all of them would be contrite enough to welcome him back, and that's not counting the 'never go back' lobby.

Consequently I do feel a complete change is needed. The sooner we get a new manager in the sooner we can get on his back.

well if we are going to continue to play games of bringing back past managers to the scene of their success or failure (always both depending on who is looking) why not McGhee or Coppell or Taylor or Adams again or White and Booker or.............oh shit :down:

Because all of those either failed or walked out on us. Wilkins has done neither.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
sorry but.....................:tosser:

it will certainly not unite the fans
it will not give a boost to the squad
it will cause havoc behind the scenes at the club

not going to happen outside of your dreams my friend

Fully agree (apart from the tosser bit - unnecessary).

It won't so much cause havoc, more blow the club wide open. See how many people would stay (playing staff, management and office staff) at the club in the event of his re-employment.

There were more than a few moans last season about the quality of football (little did they know!)

I think given the disaster of MA's season, those fans would now give DW more of a chance than he got first time around. From the moment he was appointed he had the pro McGhee lobby on his back, remember the daily Uncle Spielberg threads?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I know it's a long shot but surely it's a better appointment then Slade, Ince, Pardew, Dowie etc etc? Give him the money and backing that MA enjoyed and let's see what he can really do.

And ok, you may not agree, but I think calling me a :tosser: for bringing up a reasonable topic for discussion is poor form.

Would have been better if he was never promoted in the first place, all that appointment did was lose us a very good Youth Team Coach.

Don't think we should bring him back, the club made the decision on that one rightly or wrongly (wrongly), lets move on.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells

It won't so much cause havoc, more blow the club wide open. See how many people would stay (playing staff, management and office staff) at the club in the event of his re-employment.

What do you know that we dont then ? Come on, enlighten us.....

Eddie Bee

Feb 3, 2009
Shoreham by Sea
If he was such a crap manager/coach, I still find it difficult to see how he was able to get us into such a "false" position with "his youngsters" who can't seem to be able to perform that well without him. Also one of his main targets Peter Leven seems to be doing well at MK Dons, how did they pinch him or were we not interested when Wilkins left.
Getting back to the subject in hand, we should not get him back as manager, certainly if it causes too many problems in the club.
I would take Bassett or Slade.....or wait for the amazing appointment Dick gets us!?!?

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
I recall two seasons ago that in the period March- May our record was P 11 W 1 D 5 L 5, but I can't recall who the inspirational manager was, can someone please remind me?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I recall two seasons ago that in the period March- May our record was P 11 W 1 D 5 L 5, but I can't recall who the inspirational manager was, can someone please remind me?

Kindly ignoring the quality of players at his disposal. Strikers to choose from Elder, Savage, Hart, Robinson, Revell and Gatting. Coupled with the fact that we had lost the influential Dean Hammond to injury at that point.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Andy Scott as manager, Dean Wilkins as coach...

Was that the same manager who picked up a squad in disarray and worked his way out of it? The same guy who turned it all around from such a low ebb to finish 7th the next season, mounting a serious play off push along the way? Please remind me?

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
Kindly ignoring the quality of players at his disposal. Strikers to choose from Elder, Savage, Hart, Robinson, Revell and Gatting. Coupled with the fact that we had lost the influential Dean Hammond to injury at that point.

OK, I'll extend the record back to December

P27 W5 D8 L 12 Points 23, with a team that had been in a higher division the previous season.

This message board is as revisionist as Stalin's USSR.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells

still waiting to be enlightend....or are you not 'allowed' to tell us ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here