Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Brighton waste collection strike….

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I appreciate its not a solution or suitable for everyone but those that can could help by not adding to the piles of rotting waste. It's alright to create a health hazard, fire hazard and attract vermin in the streets outside now is it? I've got several bags of rubbish securely bagged in my garage and some other waste In my garden because I'm able ro do that and am not an entitled dick that thinks its someone else's problem if I dump it like all the other mongs. It's like everyone thinks that is the only option because everyone else is doing it, it's lazy and makes you responsible for the problem and you can't tell me otherwise. It'll be the same people stocking up on bog roll and Jerry cans of fuel.

The people dumping sacks adjacent to the dumpsters are the very people who don’t have garage and gardens to store, those with garage and gardens tend to be suburban types who will take the rubbish to the tip if they can be bothered or store in garage, I think you’ve genuinely misunderstood the urban situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The people dumping sacks adjacent to the dumpsters are the very people who don’t have garage and gardens to store, those with garage and gardens tend to be suburban types who will take the rubbish to the tip if they can be bothered or store in garage, I think you’ve genuinely misunderstood the urban situation.

I think there are people who probably can't get rid off their rubbish but there will be also plenty who don't give a f*ck and are just dumping it on the streets which to be clear is an offence. Some common sense around double bagging, compacting the rubbish within bags would help. Putting open bags of rubbish on the street is going to compound the problem. People seem to forget that the rubbish they create is THEIR rubbish not the council not their neighbours.

That said not sure who is at fault here , does anyone know why this strike started?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That said not sure who is at fault here , does anyone know why this strike started?

yes. the drivers dont want to be asked to do alternative routes to the one they're used to doing.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton

How can you possibly know the demographics of the people adding to the piles of waste, you're just making a non factual statement to try and prove your point. What evidence do you have that only people that have garages and gardens 'tend to be suburban types who will take the rubbish to the tip'?? People living in flats have just as much opportunity to go to a tip than anyone else. The piles of waste are the same all over the city whether in the town centre where there are lots of flats and businesses that don't give a toss or in the suburbs where people have gardens and garages etc. if anyone has misunderstood its you trying to excuse and justify idiots dumping more waste on the piles that are already there because 'they have no other choice', there is always an alternative but the fact is people are too lazy, entitled and ignorant to stop being the cause of the problem and are happy to blame everyone but themselves. The arrogance of people like you dumping more rubbish on top of the huge piles already there 'because that's where it should go' is staggering.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
How can you possibly know the demographics of the people adding to the piles of waste, you're just making a non factual statement to try and prove your point. What evidence do you have that only people that have garages and gardens 'tend to be suburban types who will take the rubbish to the tip'?? People living in flats have just as much opportunity to go to a tip than anyone else. The piles of waste are the same all over the city whether in the town centre where there are lots of flats and businesses that don't give a toss or in the suburbs where people have gardens and garages etc. if anyone has misunderstood its you trying to excuse and justify idiots dumping more waste on the piles that are already there because 'they have no other choice', there is always an alternative but the fact is people are too lazy, entitled and ignorant to stop being the cause of the problem and are happy to blame everyone but themselves. The arrogance of people like you dumping more rubbish on top of the huge piles already there 'because that's where it should go' is staggering.

There is some truth in what you say, aswell as, erm, some rubbish (boom).

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

People living in multiple occupancy dwellings in the central area of Brighton and Hove will find it harder to get refuse to council tips as they have a far lower level of car ownership than that of people living in the suburbs. Does that work for you?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
People living in multiple occupancy dwellings in the central area of Brighton and Hove will find it harder to get refuse to council tips as they have a far lower level of car ownership than that of people living in the suburbs. Does that work for you?

It’s alright for you, I bet you’ve got clean streets in Melbourne :)

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
It’s alright for you, I bet you’ve got clean streets in Melbourne :)

Public services here are first class, but you pay through the nose for them in high taxes. There is also massive waste, and not a little corruption too.

The world would be a near perfect place if it were possible to find a compromise between low taxation UK and wasteful, corrupt Labour controlled Victoria.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i have always found the communal bin system to be lacking and the amount of general rubbish created by people in the area is staggering , a real disposable culture in the area , cardboard and paper should be flattened and put in a recycling bin , bottles , tins and cans also should go in a seperate bin for recycling and food scraps and dirty papers can be composted , it's not rocket science, the public need to work out ways to create less general waste , the current state of the footpaths in and around Brighton are a disgrace and an embarrassment to the council , they really should be hanging their heads in shame.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

You’re getting angry now because your suggestion is being called out, I get that [emoji6]

For the record, during this strike I’ve taken my refuse to Hove tip [emoji106]

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It's sad that there are so many people bitching and whining about the mountains of waste and litter then go and add their own bags of waste to the growing mountain. Collective stupidity at its worst, instead of double bagging and keeping it in your garden or elsewhere you just continue to dump it in the same place as all the other morons and then moan about it.

Can't be bothered to multi-quote all your rants but ... to clarify .... you expect people with zero outside storage to store all their rubbish in their home while you have the luxury of a garage and so won't ever stink out your home with rotting rubbish ? Hmmm ....

Let's remember that this stike is currently due to last until the 25th November. Also this isn't the residents fault - point the finger ( you'll actually need three fingers ) at the GMB, the strikers ( maybe the Albion should sign a few of them ! ) and the council.

I'm very lucky - I have outside space to store rubbish and recycling - many people don't. The idea they should store eight weeks of rubbish INDOORS is moronic.

The arguement around how much waste is produced is an utterly different arguement. For starters supermarkets should be heavily taxed on their packaging. People should also learn to only buy the food they need. I'm lucky, all our veg peelings etc go to.the compost heap, cooked leftovers to my chickens, meat scraps to the cats - that generally just leaves dry/packaging waste. But I fully appreciate many people can't use these methods of disposal. So let people put their waste where they usually do - it might give the morons involved in the strike a kick up the backside.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
You’re getting angry now because your suggestion is being called out, I get that [emoji6]

For the record, during this strike I’ve taken my refuse to Hove tip [emoji106]

How old are you, 12? What a child's answer. Still haven't provided any evidence to back up your half baked claims of who is dumping all this rubbish. Given you think it's OK to add to the growing piles I think it's highly unlikely you've been visiting Hove tip, you probably don't even know where it is. Oh well you keep being part of the problem, well done you.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
Can't be bothered to multi-quote all your rants but ... to clarify .... you expect people with zero outside storage to store all their rubbish in their home while you have the luxury of a garage and so won't ever stink out your home with rotting rubbish ? Hmmm ....

Let's remember that this stike is currently due to last until the 25th November. Also this isn't the residents fault - point the finger ( you'll actually need three fingers ) at the GMB, the strikers ( maybe the Albion should sign a few of them ! ) and the council.

I'm very lucky - I have outside space to store rubbish and recycling - many people don't. The idea they should store eight weeks of rubbish INDOORS is moronic.

The arguement around how much waste is produced is an utterly different arguement. For starters supermarkets should be heavily taxed on their packaging. People should also learn to only buy the food they need. I'm lucky, all our veg peelings etc go to.the compost heap, cooked leftovers to my chickens, meat scraps to the cats - that generally just leaves dry/packaging waste. But I fully appreciate many people can't use these methods of disposal. So let people put their waste where they usually do - it might give the morons involved in the strike a kick up the backside.

I don't expect everyone without any facility to store their waste to store it indoors but I do think people who have the option to do so should do and that's clearly not happening. The tips are still open people can go there but no that's too much effort, besides according to another poster people that live in flats don't own cars apparently.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
i have always found the communal bin system to be lacking and the amount of general rubbish created by people in the area is staggering , a real disposable culture in the area , cardboard and paper should be flattened and put in a recycling bin , bottles , tins and cans also should go in a seperate bin for recycling and food scraps and dirty papers can be composted , it's not rocket science, the public need to work out ways to create less general waste , the current state of the footpaths in and around Brighton are a disgrace and an embarrassment to the council , they really should be hanging their heads in shame.

Welcome to the greens world of mess ! If you elect the student Green Party don’t complain when they ruin your city .

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I drove through Hove yesterday and witnessed the piles in and around Clarendon Road. So many communal bins with quadruple their contents piled all around and bags ravaged by seagulls. On top of this some morons are taking the opportunity to dump old mattresses and duvets and other general waste that should have been taken to the recycling centre.
Still, the binmen, who know the history of how these things pan out, can look forward to a chunk of overtime cleaning it all up, just in time for Christmas. If they were that concerned about the public and state of the city , they would have come up with a different plan of attack.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I don't expect everyone without any facility to store their waste to store it indoors but I do think people who have the option to do so should do and that's clearly not happening. The tips are still open people can go there but no that's too much effort, besides according to another poster people that live in flats don't own cars apparently.

I pay council tax at quite a princely level - as everyone does. I don't expect to do the council's job for them. Pesonally I would support everyone in the city, on a specified date and time, putting all their bins and rubbish in the middle of the road they live on. See how quickly the GMB and council come to an agreement then ! To re-interate - this is NOT the fault of the residents - so why should they change how they act ?

Edit - you seem to be backtracking .... maybe you want to re-read your post #250

Last edited:

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

a lot of people who live in say, central-ish Brighton are in multiple occupancy flats. You could easily have 30 odd people in one building which obviously creates a lot of waste. These people are much less likely to own a car- a combination of not really needing one living in the city centre, probably not really being able to afford one, and if they could afford one being put off by things like parking costs so they can't all go to the tip AND none of them have garages and gardens to store waste

These people are also living fairly close to the city centre where people are also working, visiting etc which already creates quite full communal bins due to people using them to dump stuff like food waste on the go

I'm an outreach worker and spend a fair amount of time on St James' Street, the worst bin overflow I've seen in this strike is on that street. That area is densely populated with a lot of people crammed into buildings. Doubt even 10% of the people living in that area own cars and 0% have outside storage or garages. That road is a very visible road in terms of tourists and the general public, with a lot of people working in the area (just down the road from Amex of course). What are those people supposed to do with their waste?!

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Welcome to the greens world of mess ! If you elect the student Green Party don’t complain when they ruin your city .

for about the millionth time Brighton & Hove had bin strikes under Labour and Tory councils. It's a much bigger issue than what colour the council is

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here