Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Brighton waste collection strike….

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The Leader of the Council (Phelim Mac Cafferty) was on BBC Radio Sussex this morning.

He said that if you wanted a refund for non collected rubbish you should email him directly.

Email?

I was hoping to post the receipt.............wrapped round a dog turd.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Must be costing the council - and by extention, us - a pretty penny, but they're fairly BLITZING the town (well this part at least) with bin lorries this morning. Just been for a stroll to Local Shop For Local People and must have come across four or five bin lorries all working away feverishly. Impressive. Tho can't help thinking that money could have been put to better use trickling down to the existing crews rather than to (presumably, as per Argus report) contractors

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You're a braver man than me! I burned our waste in an incinerator in the garden, while the footie was on the radio. It seemed to work OK.
As for the recycling, we have an open fire in the front room, so I burn all the paper and cardboard in that.
I squash all the rest - tins, plastic bottles etc, so our recycling bin is not even full.

Our recycling bin was rammed full ages ago, the strike started the day we were meant to have a collection.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
The Leader of the Council (Phelim Mac Cafferty) was on BBC Radio Sussex this morning.

He said that if you wanted a refund for non collected rubbish you should email him directly.

Every time I hear something about that bloke, it just confirms what I think of him.

1. He is putting the onus on each individual customer to apply for a refund, rather than apply a mass refund at his end in a batch process. He will know the collection days, addresses, and which collections were missed, so can work out which addresses should get a refund and which ones shouldn't. The council has failed to deliver, so the council should do the work involved to issue refunds.

2. Instead, he is inviting thousands, or perhaps tens of thousands of emails in his inbox, each one of which will have to be processed, checked, refund applied, etc etc.

How inefficient is that? It's beyond utter crap. Words fail me.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
What started as a supposed dispute over conditions has appeared to have been settled by a £6k per annum pay rise for the drivers and a £1k - £3k per annum rise for the crews.
Nice if you can get it.
Now they can look forward to huge bonuses/overtime payments to clear the backlog.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
What started as a supposed dispute over conditions has appeared to have been settled by a £6k per annum pay rise for the drivers and a £1k - £3k per annum rise for the crews.
Nice if you can get it.
Now they can look forward to huge bonuses/overtime payments to clear the backlog.

And any time they fancy another payrise ... err sorry I mean have been bullied and harassed .... they know just what to do

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Surely not, that would be absurd.... :whistle:

I wonder what percentage that rise is equivalent to?

would be well over double digit for the drivers. you sure? maybe 6% which would be good.
if they have given them that sort of figure, good luck with the rest of the council workers looking to have their rise.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
would be well over double digit for the drivers. you sure? maybe 6% which would be good.
if they have given them that sort of figure, good luck with the rest of the council workers looking to have their rise.

It was mentioned on local tv news, this lunchtime. I would have thought a £6k rise for the drivers would equate to at least a 20% increase - as I said, nice if you can get it.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It was mentioned on local tv news, this lunchtime. I would have thought a £6k rise for the drivers would equate to at least a 20% increase - as I said, nice if you can get it.

I wonder if our council tax bills will go up next year? :)

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Nice if you can get it.

Am i wrong in thinking that sounds highly unfair, how come the chubby guy in the cab, gets a bigger pay rise, when it is the skinny guy, jumping in and out of the cab, lifting shite all day & gets a pittance compared to the chubby bloke in the cab !!
Maybe the chubby guy will share his pay rise.

Last edited:

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here