Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Brighton waste collection strike….

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
An old article from last year but this report suggests that there was a lot of thieving, misuse and fraud by CityClean staff, staff backed by a strong militant union? Sounds all a bit 1970s?

https://www.brightonandhovenews.org...xNIV0-6Z6iWKDIktkVDtRR7Y7bAMBqSAQLFsYjQFzjA8U

‘City Clean’ Quite literally the tail that wags the dog, they know it, the council have always known it and to think these militants cite bullying as one of their grievances, that’s the biggest joke of all….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
In a post-brexit/Tory country where worker's rights are being deliberately and purposefully eroded, I'm glad people are putting their foot down. It also serves as an illustration to us all just how much waste we create daily. That all has to go somewhere. I was last in Brighton four days ago and the rubbish was piling up over head height and blocking pavements. I think that was less than a week into the strike.

It's no bad thing to have a reminder now and again of just what the people working on our behalf deal with for us.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Communal recycling bins round our way have just been fenced off and declared as closed. Notice says to go to one of two council tips. Yeah, right, like that's really going to happen. Stuff just going to be dumped / fly-tipped wholesale now.

Oh well :shrug:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Haven't got time to trawl through all 24 pages but is Ms Lucas, and the other local MP's actually getting involved as the city turns to rat s***?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
In a post-brexit/Tory country where worker's rights are being deliberately and purposefully eroded, I'm glad people are putting their foot down. It also serves as an illustration to us all just how much waste we create daily. That all has to go somewhere. I was last in Brighton four days ago and the rubbish was piling up over head height and blocking pavements. I think that was less than a week into the strike.

It's no bad thing to have a reminder now and again of just what the people working on our behalf deal with for us.

All well and good to say you're glad about it when you reveal you don't actually live here...

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
All well and good to say you're glad about it when you reveal you don't actually live here...

Hardly a “reveal”. I work there, would never live there again. Lived through a bin strike there before. Grim.
The strike might teach you lot to recycle or use the tip. The amount of fly-tipping in town next to the big bins in normal times is a disgrace :)

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The strike might teach you lot to recycle or use the tip. The amount of fly-tipping in town next to the big bins in normal times is a disgrace :)

You lot :p

Not very nice thing to say about the city you support ???

I am not too bothered about the strike, I just loaded up my car with two weeks of waste, drove too Shoreham in the dead of night and popped it in Mr Clamps black bin, job sorted.

As for recycling, they miss or just don't bother with my recycle bin most of the time, so make regular trips too the tip, no big deal.

I think the waste piled up in most areas, is due to people who don't give a shite about the city, students, and ex northern folk from London.

Bonfire night is coming, should be interesting with stray rockets landing in town....

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You lot :p

Not very nice thing to say about the city you support ???

I am not too bothered about the strike, I just loaded up my car with two weeks of waste, drive too Shoreham in the dead of night and popped it in Mr Clamps black bin, job sorted.

As for recycling, they miss or just don't bother with my recycle bin most of the time, so make regular trips too the tip, no big deal.

I think the waste piled up in most areas, is due to people who don't give a shite about the city, students, and ex northern folk from London.

Bonfire night is coming, should be interesting with stray rockets landing in town....

You’re quite right, a poor choice of words. Do come over and make use of one of our black bins. West Sussex council kindly dropped off an extra four for our building a few months ago. Usually plenty of room, even on collection eve.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Hardly a “reveal”. I work there, would never live there again. Lived through a bin strike there before. Grim.

Agree Brighton has many idiots who dump and don't recycle but it's a Uk wide thing and Brighton is full of many flats and fewer car drivers. And then of course "recycling" is an absolute ****ing fraud in this country - only some plastic bottles, tin cans, cardboard are truly recycled here. All the recycling of other plastics that you do in Shoreham (?) for example is just shipped out of country and....er....dumped in the sea or landfill abroad, absolute joke. But it makes people feel nice, out of sight out of mind etc. This country needs to reintroduce more "deposit and returns" and invest in it's own recycling facilities like in Newhaven (but hey maybe up North eh).
I'm on the Brighton Tidy Up Team and those staff at CityClean we deal with seem v nice and competent but i believe that is not the norm there.... I don't mind the strike biting hard, if the council could get Government permissions or whatever to use the army to drive trucks and clear up and it all backfired on the Union leader and CityClean was cleaned up into a viable working department. Pigs will fly first though of course. edit - actually as there is a pig problem aswell at the moment perhaps bring them all to Brighton to nosh away!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Agree Brighton has many idiots who dump and don't recycle but it's a Uk wide thing and Brighton is full of many flats and fewer car drivers. And then of course "recycling" is an absolute ****ing fraud in this country - only some plastic bottles, tin cans, cardboard are truly recycled here. All the recycling of other plastics that you do in Shoreham (?) for example is just shipped out of country and....er....dumped in the sea or landfill abroad, absolute joke. But it makes people feel nice, out of sight out of mind etc. This country needs to reintroduce more "deposit and returns" and invest in it's own recycling facilities like in Newhaven (but hey maybe up North eh).
I'm on the Brighton Tidy Up Team and those staff at CityClean we deal with seem v nice and competent but i believe that is not the norm there.... I don't mind the strike biting hard, if the council could get Government permissions or whatever to use the army to drive trucks and clear up and it all backfired on the Union leader and CityClean was cleaned up into a viable working department. Pigs will fly first though of course.

Good post.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Just before the truly awful news about the stabbing, Jeremy Vine had just started doing a piece on the Bin Strike- what an absolute tool that man is-worthy of another thread in itself, badly informed-couldnt decide whether B & H was a city or not, first it was, then a town, then it should be a city, then it was a great city, then he wasnt sure

He was talking to the deputy council leader- a green councillor, who among other things blamed- you guessed it BREXIT for the strike, and said they had done many wonderful things since coming to power

I don't pretend to understand the nuances of the bin strike, I am sure there are rights and wrongs on each side, but to attempt to blame Brexit in anyway for it is deflection of the highest order- other culprits were the HGV driver shortage, pandemic, sickness, the workers, a multitude of things. The only thing not to blame in anyway was the council itself

The councillor even got in about how awful the removal of the cycle lane was

The discussion was then curtailed as the news broke about the stabbing and quite rightly put an end to further calls

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
The Greens have ruined Brighton. Absolute joke. The whole place needs a good wash!

Brighton & Hove has had shit councils for years, regardless of whether or not they've been Green, Red or Blue. There were bin strikes during Labour councils as well

Don't be silly enough to think that Brighton was one of the seven wonders of the modern world apart from the what, 5 or 6 years? that there's been a Green council in it's entire history

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I've just been looking at South Today. The meeting between the Council / Cityclean and the GMB has just finished. The reporter said that five minutes before the meeting ended, he thought the mood music gave reasons to be optimistic. He then interviewed Mark Turner, GMB convenor, who announced that he didn't have anything in writing, so as things stand at the moment, there is no agreement....

Maybe cause for optimism?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The Greens have ruined Brighton. Absolute joke. The whole place needs a good wash!

Hmmm, not a fan but need to look back to 2003 to find the source of Brighton’s abysmal record on recycling. The binmen have been a problem in Brighton and Hove for more years than I can remember and it seems almost impossible to resolve.
For what is supposed to be a tourist and holiday location, you’d have thought that making it clean would be higher on the priority list. Sadly not. I’m glad I’m no longer one of their tax payers.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Brighton & Hove has had shit councils for years, regardless of whether or not they've been Green, Red or Blue. There were bin strikes during Labour councils as well

Don't be silly enough to think that Brighton was one of the seven wonders of the modern world apart from the what, 5 or 6 years? that there's been a Green council in it's entire history

It has got worse.. they are a shambles of a council and party. If you voted for them, hang your heads in shame!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I've just been looking at South Today. The meeting between the Council / Cityclean and the GMB has just finished. The reporter said that five minutes before the meeting ended, he thought the mood music gave reasons to be optimistic. He then interviewed Mark Turner, GMB convenor, who announced that he didn't have anything in writing, so as things stand at the moment, there is no agreement....

Maybe cause for optimism?

The day Mark Turner is able to look anyone in the eye will be the day there is cause for optimism.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here