Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Brighton waste collection strike….

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
In the days of the two borough councils it was always the Brighton bin men who caused the trouble the Hove workers in the old burgundy carts were never any real trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
you'd think so. but we see time after time unions dont grasp this concept and pursue a policy of digging in when the public turn against them. they're not very clever in this regard, after decades of this strategy failing them and damaging their members and unions.

In these cases where public health and safety are an issue, especially in city centre dumpster sites, the council should be allowed to bring in private contractors to pick up the slack in strike situations!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
They tried that with Ecovert , the problem is you get the same militant workers in the majority or the sons, if you want the smell to go away you have to bury the shit not change the toilet and put the same shit back in it.

But Ecovert was a larger business. The waste collection could be set up as an independent limited company - or an arms length business - this way it would be wholly dependent upon its own performance and not leaning on a larger group.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
But Ecovert was a larger business. The waste collection could be set up as an independent limited company - or an arms length business - this way it would be wholly dependent upon its own performance and not leaning on a larger group.

You won’t get an argument from me but you’ll have the same workforce & same Union [emoji1745]

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
In these cases where public health and safety are an issue, especially in city centre dumpster sites, the council should be allowed to bring in private contractors to pick up the slack in strike situations!

100%. Where public health is at risk.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I think I'll retrain to be a council HGV driver and join the GMB union. You get a full wage, but you only need to drive to the places you want to, not the places the council asks you to.

If they start any strong-arm tactics, telling me where to drive, I'll set Mark Turner on them, and claim bullying and intimidation.

Here is my provisional list of nice places to drive to:

Shoreham Beach
Devil's Dyke.
Ditchling Common.
Beachy Head.
Ashdown Forest.

Lovely.

Here is my planned list of excuses why my bin lorry is not full of waste at the end of my round.

Roads are too narrow - couldn't get the lorry round the sharp corners.
Roads blocked by delivery drivers.
Roads blocked by everyone taking their rubbish to the tip.
Roadworks everywhere.
Too many inconsiderately parked cars.
The cafe took a long time cooking our breakfasts.
Most people have already taken their rubbish to the tip.
People left too much rubbish out. We're only contracted to take one binful of waste per customer. Those are the rules.
Slippery roads due to ice, snow, rain, cloud, fog, sunshine.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I think I'll retrain to be a council HGV driver and join the GMB union. You get a full wage, but you only need to drive to the places you want to, not the places the council asks you to.

If they start any strong-arm tactics, telling me where to drive, I'll set Mark Turner on them, and claim bullying and intimidation.

Here is my provisional list of nice places to drive to:

Shoreham Beach
Devil's Dyke.
Ditchling Common.
Beachy Head.
Ashdown Forest.

Lovely.

Here is my planned list of excuses why my bin lorry is not full of waste at the end of my round.

Roads are too narrow - couldn't get the lorry round the sharp corners.
Roads blocked by delivery drivers.
Roads blocked by everyone taking their rubbish to the tip.
Roadworks everywhere.
Too many inconsiderately parked cars.
The cafe took a long time cooking our breakfasts.
Most people have already taken their rubbish to the tip.
People left too much rubbish out. We're only contracted to take one binful of waste per customer. Those are the rules.
Slippery roads due to ice, snow, rain, cloud, fog, sunshine.

One problem, you’ll need to have a family member who already works there and has done for 20+ years to second your application, they don’t want outsiders you know….

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

There is nothing to stop the Council bringing in outside contractors to clear the rubbish.

They won't though as they fear it will antagonise the GMB / workers.

Anyway, there's a meeting this morning with all parties involved - let's hope for a resolution.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One problem, you’ll need to have a family member who already works there and has done for 20+ years to second your application, they don’t want outsiders you know….

I’ve tipped off my comrades, he wont get in.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
There is nothing to stop the Council bringing in outside contractors to clear the rubbish.

They won't though as they fear it will antagonise the GMB / workers.

Anyway, there's a meeting this morning with all parties involved - let's hope for a resolution.

So rather than take the CC to task they’re using the General Public as pawns, horrible way to go about business!

They’ll be moaning next that the public will be rude to them when they’re finally off the arses.

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
That's literally their job. Imagine if everyone in the world went on strike every time they got irritated at work!

I don't know the details of the reasons for the strike, but if it's that then they can do one. I'm sure it must be more than that.

It started off with that being the reason but after the initial strike vote they also added pay and conditions onto the list of reasons. As I understand it the predicament the council is in is that if they give the drivers a pay rise they also have to give pay rises to every other council employee on the same pay grade which would potentially cost them up to £14 million which the tax payer would ultimately end up picking up the tab for.

I'm all for unions and the rights of the workers but these 54 drivers can absolutely do one.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
It started off with that being the reason but after the initial strike vote they also added pay and conditions onto the list of reasons. As I understand it the predicament the council is in is that if they give the drivers a pay rise they also have to give pay rises to every other council employee on the same pay grade which would potentially cost them up to £14 million which the tax payer would ultimately end up picking up the tab for.

I'm all for unions and the rights of the workers but these 54 drivers can absolutely do one.

It appears that the issue of pay was first raised by the Council - not the GMB

Initially the strike was to do with working practices etc. however the Council then made an offer of increased pay - which we are led to believe was subsequently withdrawn by the Council.

Now the GMB seem to be suggesting that the return to work is linked not only to the issue of working practices but also to pay.

As you suggest in your post above that would possibly lead to a pay rise for all Council employees on the same grade.

Good thing? Bad thing?

You decide, but who pays?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
How’s your search for a new job going Clamp, any interesting jobs crop up, with the film industry up and running why not return to your days as a stuntman?

With my knees!?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You decide, but who pays?

tax payers of course.

im not sure why council would have offered a pay rise without prompting, given the additional difficult that causes them. or was that a misstep by incumbants not understand how to run a council?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here