Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Pub Name Changes

Eurobound

Brazil 2014- here we come
Nov 3, 2003
i do ive seen it go from sherrys/pink coconut/paradox, over the road was jenkinsons , anyone remember coasters ?? and im tha old i can remember when the gloucester was called MR Ks
Mr Ks was the Birds Nest

D

Deleted User X18H

The Brunswick - Leek and Winkle - Leek - Caroline of Brunswick
The Edward - The Reservoir
The Admiral Napier - Too Many To List

Isn't the Reservoir the old Cobden?

- - - Updated - - -

The Mary Packs - The Red Lion Hove

Is it still the Cobden then?

The Cobden Arms has never changed it's name as far as I'm aware but used to have a back entrance in Luther Street.
The Reservoir reverted to its original name after being called the Edwardian.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Actually, The Nightingale - Finnegans Wake - Grand Central

Actually, The Railway - The Nightingale - etc etc

And isn't the Hare and Hounds, The Hydrant now?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Isn't the Reservoir the old Cobden

no. The Cobden's still there. Never been in, mind. That big one on London Road was the London to Brighton for a while. I've lost count of the name-changes for the Old Orleans place. The Frock and Jacket used to be opposite. As with that gay friendly bar/disco at the bottom of St James. 20/20 for a time.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Thurlow Arms - Jurys Out - Caledonian Review Bar - Jurys Out.

Also, noticed yesterday that The Racehorse has changed it's name, can't remember what to though?

Was The Thurlow the Raglan Arms prior?

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Don't forget what was, for a while, Bertie Belcher's Brighton Brewery Company At The Hedgehog and Hogshead, It's Really In Hove Actually - which was called The Cliftonville when I lived in Hove. But isn't to be confused with at least two other Hove pubs that have also been called The Cliftonville.

The Cliftonville (Hotel) used to be next to Hove Station. But it's called sommat else now.

- - - Updated - - -

On West Street, 'The Queen Anne' used to have 'The Beer Kellar' in the basement - top joint for foreign totty every summer.

The Spotted Dog was the pub we joked about for being about the only mincer hangout back then.

The Hungry Years was a rock disco!

What was the pub nearer the West Pier, that all the Arabs seemed to like? I used to have to listen on the last bus home, to common disco Doris going on about how lovely Achmed was, and how she really fancied Mahmood and he's really a PRINCE back in Egypt :lolol:

Before the Hungry Years was a rock disco, it used to be a Bier Keller!

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Guilty to remembering all of this and also when the Top Rank was an ice rink:down:

Used to go to the ice rink at the Top Rank Suite every Wednesday. Even Dad used to go and he hated sport of any kind. We were all heartbroken when it turned into a bunch of cinemas.

Last edited:

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
whats the bar near the club shop, in Queens Road? that changes names every tme you blink..

Well, at one time it was the William Tell and had a Swiss flag.

- - - Updated - - -

All this goes to prove that it should be ILLEGAL for a pub to change its name - or at the very least individual name changes should require individual Acts of Parliament.

Absolutely and utterly agree.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
As for lost pubs apart from the E&C , Snipe now Sainsbury and an old favourite of mine the Coachmakers in Trafalgar Street.

Yeah, and the May Tree became a housing estate.

- - - Updated - - -

Back to Hove ...

This one's had an extended identity crisis over the years. I only have a hazy recollection of its various identities but its history goes something like
The Sackville
BooBoos
The Sackville
then ????
Hove Park Tavern

Plastic pint pots for home games and an incredibly intimidating atmosphere at some games (especially that one v you know who opening day 1974/75)

It's had so many names, that about twenty years ago it had a list of its old names painted on is rounded corner, with all the old names crossed out. I think that was when it became the Hove Park Tav, but had been the Sackville before that (apart from all the other names).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here