Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Marathon - Post Race Thread

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Well done to you all who ran today.

We stood and watched at 5 miles, (St. James' Street) and then walked down to the half way point where we handed out 5 bags of Jelly Babies, before going down on the front to watch the runners come in.

Saw Bloom on all three ocasions. Top Man!

A truly great day - we'll be in London next week too.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Its starting to get very good reviews on runners world.sometimes events get slated on here.I think it will go from strength to strength.Great for the city to have such an event.
Well done to all who made it.
On a personal note i was meant to be doing London next week but have had to pull out through injury.Hopefully i will manage to do one next year!.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/ratingsall.asp?sp=&v=1&ugn=9141

"There were so many marshals and helpers to support and guide the runners, and they were enthusiastic and cheerful without exception"

have to say this review is spot on, they were so encouraging and friendly!

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
At first was disappointed with 4:47 but on reflection I am chuffed to bits with finishing. Was my first marathon, have a persistant knee problem which meant both physio and doctor advised me not to run, and after that started playing up on the way to shoreham this caused cramp from then on in.

Would have been easy to give up. Huge respect to all those that ran, and after a few weeks recovery and finally getting the knee op who knows I might be fit for next year!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Anyone that finished regardless of the time is a HERO.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
They've revised the results recently - seems to add a couple of minutes to most people's chip time

3:54:55 for me

Only 7,500 starters in the end - 4,500 didn't make the start. Getting to start ok is the hard bit. The 26.2 miles in comparison is fairly straightforward

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
torture - went off too fast and suffered big time after 13 miles. Still made it home in my target time of around 4.45. Organisation was fantastic - well done Tim Hutchins and team - and massive respect to everyone that did it. Times don't matter, of course the good runners are going to do the better times, but to see the pained expressions on the runners coming in after 5, 6 and 7 hours makes them every bit a hero. It's true that it's 75% mental and 25% pysical.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've only run London & Brighton and there isn't much between them, so on that basis I'd fully agree with them.

My only gripes were:
a) the routes were a bit narrow in some places
b) this is minor, but the run to Shoreham power station was a bit depressing. I'd rather they sent the runners further into Hove, where support and street partying was top drawer.

First up well done Sims. 3:42 is still a good time.

Whilst I didnt run it did seem very narrow along Church Road. I'm guessing that this race was a bit of a pilot. If it's a success they might be able to open up the roads a little more. I dont see why they cannot completely close Church Road and divert traffic around Blatchington Rd. The organiser said he has plans to expand to twice an many runners. They'd have to widen some parts to do this.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I'm getting more and more excited and proud as the evening wears on. So much pride in my home town, the other competitors and myself - the best of Brighton was out today. One massive Street Party enjoyed by 1,000s of proud people - try to imagine what a Croydon marathon would be like!! Stewards were brilliant with the constant encouragement. Had to smille when passing some of the pubs in Kemp Town......with big butch men standing outside with pints of guiness and and poodles.

On a personal note how much longer have i got to put up with the random but frequent painful "life threatening" attacks of cramp in my calf muscles, i've had the cold bath, massage, food, drink, etc and I'm still frightened to go to bed

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Well done to all of you people.

I've done London twice (1996 and 1997), but I'd love a crack next year at Brighton - I'd fly back especially.

At the very real risk of being fixtured, perhaps we could get an inaugural REMF race going in next year's event with a few of the Palace boys if they'd be up for it?

Extra publicity and no doubt money raised for the cause along with a decent day out for runners and their families.

Gareth - get ordering some limited edition Albion running kits pronto.

And get yourself one too for that matter.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I already have 3 people committed to the REMF Brighton 2011 marathon. It would be great if we could get 10 and raise £ 5000 plus.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
brighton%20marathon%202010

Seaguulls!

Pink top Albion runner
brighton marathon 2010 :: 20100418_537.jpg picture by fordcrazy_ - Photobucket

Last edited:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
I do not look happy in that picture!

I would love to run the marathon next year for REMF.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
REMF - Marathon Team 2011 - so far

Gareth Glover
Richard Coleman
Andy Rumble
Kevin Risby

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If REMF are going to run it, you should do yourselves a favour and look into buying charity places. It's virtually impossible to do this for London these days, but seeing as this is Sussex charity of the year for 2009, I can't imagine you'd have a problem for Brighton.

The Face

H Block
Jan 24, 2007
BN2
What a magnificent success this event was! I was so overwhelmed by the amazing people of Brighton & Hove who came out in their thousands and really spurred me on.

Personally it was absolute torture from about 14 miles on and my disappointing time of 5.28 reflected that. Although I didn't manage to accomplish my pre-race target of breaking 5 hours, I can't be too despondent due the fact I had to walk/run very slowly for a large proportion of the course due to having one pulled hamstring and two very tight calves. Truly inspirational and emotional day though, I'd like to say I'd run it again next year - but right now I don't even want to think about running!

Congratulations to everyone involved!

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
REMF - Marathon Team 2011 - so far

Gareth Glover
Richard Coleman
Andy Rumble
Kevin Risby

I'm tempted to do it again for REMF. With the right training and without having to keep stopping for the missus for the last 5 miles, I'd like to aim for the 4 hour mark.

If you need numbers, let me know, as need to see how my knees hold up as they were aching from the start. If no damage, I'd like to beat my time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here