Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Marathon - Post Race Thread

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
yep - well done everyone. It was Brighton as its best. The crowds on the beach at around 6pm were amazing.

I saw Gus and Mauricio in town, and I missed Tony Bloom running - but saw him in a taxi afterwards. Happy days.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Its starting to get very good reviews on runners world.sometimes events get slated on here.I think it will go from strength to strength.Great for the city to have such an event.
Well done to all who made it.
On a personal note i was meant to be doing London next week but have had to pull out through injury.Hopefully i will manage to do one next year!.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/ratingsall.asp?sp=&v=1&ugn=9141

4:14 for my first go......and last!
Was a really hot day and the crowd were amazing, kept everyone going and special thanks to the bloke who gave me jelly babies at 22 miles and really gave a boost!

A disappointing 3:41 for me, but only 2 weeks to Three Forts marathon. The start is in Worthing so not far if you change your mind!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Its starting to get very good reviews on runners world.sometimes events get slated on here.I think it will go from strength to strength.Great for the city to have such an event.
Well done to all who made it.
On a personal note i was meant to be doing London next week but have had to pull out through injury.Hopefully i will manage to do one next year!.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/ratingsall.asp?sp=&v=1&ugn=9141

I really do hope this becomes an annual event. It has so many positive aspects.

Today was just so enjoyable and fun for those watching and for those taking part (well, most people seemed to be enjoying it).

The guy who organised it took 10 years to get to today. Well done that man for his talent and his doggedness.

I'm doing London next weekend. After today it cannot come soon enough, it's totally fired me up.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In short: Probably the Best Seaside race in the Uk
In full: For someone who runs races all around the world on a regular basis, the inaugral Brighton marathon has shot up to one of the best races & marathons. I have raced most of the marathons in the UK & this event is only second (& only by a fraction) to London.
Every detail had been meticulously planned & the extras such as the app, brilliant medal, great quality t-shirt, fantastic goody bag, plentiful drink & food were all superp.
The crowd support & atmosphere were truly awsome. Far better than many cities that are larger. The course was dead flat after 13 miles. Only small boggle was that small incline out & back from Ovingdean. An extra small loop in the city would flatten it out.
This event is already the pre eminent marathon in the UK with London, by some considerable distance.

From Runners World.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
I forgot it started twenty minutes late. They have very kindly text me to say my time was 5hr11. :s

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
I can't believe people are moaning about the toilets. There were about ten thousand people at the start-most of whom would want at least one wee before the race.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
A disappointing 3:41 for me, but only 2 weeks to Three Forts marathon. The start is in Worthing so not far if you change your mind!
I did it in 3:42!!!

Also disappointing but only myself to blame. I went off too quickly and detiorated at 11.5 miles. SF, you might have seen me at the end - blue vest & shorts - I had to walk the last mile as I twisted my knee at the 25 mile mark, and it cost me 5 or 6 minutes.

A brilliant brilliant day though.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I did it in 3:42!!!

Also disappointing but only myself to blame. I went off too quickly and detiorated at 11.5 miles. SF, you might have seen me at the end - blue vest & shorts - I had to walk the last mile as I twisted my knee at the 25 mile mark, and it cost me 5 or 6 minutes.

A brilliant brilliant day though.

Thats absolutely brilliant Simster. RESPECT :thumbsup:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
From Runners World.

I've only run London & Brighton and there isn't much between them, so on that basis I'd fully agree with them.

My only gripes were:
a) the routes were a bit narrow in some places
b) this is minor, but the run to Shoreham power station was a bit depressing. I'd rather they sent the runners further into Hove, where support and street partying was top drawer.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I did 5hrs 17 min according to my Nike device. I saw Gary Williams in Preston Park don't think he was running though. Anyone see Danny Mills?

Well done Tim, when I saw you at the Ovingdean roundabout on the return from Rottingdean you really looked as you had hit a wall and was really suffering. So very well done mate for completing the course.

D

Deleted User X18H

Well done Tim, when I saw you at the Ovingdean roundabout on the return from Rottingdean you really looked as you had hit a wall and was really suffering. So very well done mate for completing the course.

oH Gawd Tony I hit the wall about 3 miles later:laugh:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Tim, Simster post your just giving sites here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here