Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton lose bank funding for Falmer, or something similar

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I don't get where you think he's avoided the question ? LBs post makes perfectly clear that the council will only grant the lease if they are satisfied that the club can fund the project - they granted the lease and so by assumption the club have satisfied the council they have the funds available ( in whatever form that might be ). I think I'll rather believe the Director of Finances' point of view than any from posters on here who have had diddly squat to do with the project. I'm sure the council officials have seen rather more of the paperwork than anyone on here !!!

People need to take SFs post for what it was - a shit stirring one designed to attract attention.

WS-You need to reread Lord B's post and the Argus quote again (and Lord B will agree with me on this (I hope?!). Funding (like planning which has just been granted so that condition is satisfied) is a condition to the grant of the lease yet to be satisfied. Lord B ran through above the satisfication process the Council will go through WHEN THE FUNDING CONDITION IS SATISFIED so the lease can be granted. At the moment its a conditional grant. Right Lord B?

Not linking this to SF's original post, just trying to put a contrary view forward to those who claim funding is def in place. Its a shame the club cant be more upfront to avoid all this bickering (again not the detail just that funding is in place so we can all relax!!).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The only reason she gets Shit is because people don't actually read what she says - she has in the past told you the truth but has always said she can't tell the source - if she was able to the whole thing WOULD fall into place and you all wouldn't slag her off the way you do

I dont agree with all that your wife says butI know exactly where you are coming from as I have been in the same position whereby you know what you have been told is the truth but are unable to divulge your source, for obvious reaons. Future confidence of the source and possibly friendship, and respect of their position or status.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I dont agree with all that your wife says butI know exactly where you are coming from as I have been in the same position whereby you know what you have been told is the truth but are unable to divulge your source, for obvious reaons. Future confidence of the source and possibly friendship, and respect of their position or status.

Or they just want to sound important.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
WS-You need to reread Lord B's post and the Argus quote again (and Lord B will agree with me on this (I hope?!). Funding (like planning which has just been granted so that condition is satisfied) is a condition to the grant of the lease yet to be satisfied. Lord B ran through above the satisfication process the Council will go through WHEN THE FUNDING CONDITION IS SATISFIED so the lease can be granted. At the moment its a conditional grant. Right Lord B?

Not linking this to SF's original post, just trying to put a contrary view forward to those who claim funding is def in place. Its a shame the club cant be more upfront to avoid all this bickering (again not the detail just that funding is in place so we can all relax!!).

I find it hard to believe ( no impossible ) that the council would have handed over the land ( which they HAVE done ) if there was any doubt at all about the funding. They have a legal obligation to protect tax payers assets - regardless of their politocal position on the stadium they would have to prove they have followed correct procedure or risk punishment - in some cases imprisionment.

How on earth would they get away with allowing work to start only to have to take the land back later on if the club didn't have funding ??? Anyone they seriously believes there is some conspirocy going on here has watched to many episodes of X Files !!!!

I find it hard to believe ( no impossible ) that the council would have handed over the land ( which they HAVE done ) if there was any doubt at all about the funding. They have a legal obligation to protect tax payers assets - regardless of their politocal position on the stadium they would have to prove they have followed correct procedure or risk punishment - in some cases imprisionment.

How on earth would they get away with allowing work to start only to have to take the land back later on if the club didn't have funding ??? Anyone they seriously believes there is some conspirocy going on here has watched to many episodes of X Files !!!!

The Hamas Nimby that is WS obviously doesn't realise that outside Westdene we are in a recession. Whilst the club had been promised the funding for Falmer, the money is not the Albion's until it is in the bank. The funds are no longer coming through. Hence others have put up the funds. Bigger organisations than BHA have gone to the wall of late due to lack of funding ets i.e. Woolworths, MFI etc etc.

Southend I believe have had to delay their ground as their financial backers have pulled out. And they don't have the Blooms either.

Here we go again Lord B. Why all the smoke and mirrors? You and I both know if funding were in place that would not have been made a condition as it would have already been satisfied.

Sorry, but that is complete NONSENSE.

The reason that there is a funding condition attached to the grant of a lease is that the land that the City Council is leasing to the football club is in public ownership, by virtue of Section 123 of the Local Government Act 1972.

The Act requires certain conditions to be met before local authority land is disposed of.

All this is made clear in the Report that went to the Council's Cabinet in January.

The financial condition has NOTHING to do with any suspicion that the funding might not be in place and - as Westdene Seagull has pointed out - EVERYTHING to do with ensuring that the proper legal procedures are followed.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The Hamas Nimby that is WS obviously doesn't realise that outside Westdene we are in a recession. Whilst the club had been promised the funding for Falmer, the money is not the Albion's until it is in the bank. The funds are no longer coming through. Hence others have put up the funds. Bigger organisations than BHA have gone to the wall of late due to lack of funding ets i.e. Woolworths, MFI etc etc.

Southend I believe have had to delay their ground as their financial backers have pulled out. And they don't have the Blooms either.

So who was this person you spoke to?

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Didn't take you long to drag in your hatred for my political views !!! But I guess that's because your first post was completely inaccurate. The FA preventing the stadium being built indeed - cloud cuckcoo land !!!

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I don't & can't Know the truth here, but I find some of the Completely pro Dick/the clubs posters,aggressive denial that anything can be wrong a bit worrying. I believe we're ok but can't help being a bit suspicious when I hear things like this, as the silence is deafening from the club concerning funding. Some of these posters seem so far up the club that they would have supported Archer & Stanley right up until we moved out of the goldstone.
Also love how it's turned into another stick to beat bhadeb with.(& no, I'm not related to her) :)

Didn't take you long to drag in your hatred for my political views !!! But I guess that's because your first post was completely inaccurate. The FA preventing the stadium being built indeed - cloud cuckcoo land !!!

I wish my original quote was wrong - but it isn't.
If the Albion make a statement as to the current funding position then you will see that I am right. It is of course not necessarily bad or for that matter good thing that the funding is coming from within the club than the banks? Of course if the club does not make a statement and they are not at liberty to do so - then when the accounts are drawn up for the first year at Falmer, the funding position will be clearer.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
This is a ridiculous thread.

With the greatest respect to the original poster - you're talking utter bollocks.

Why do people constantly come on here and say "oh I heard from a bloke in the pub ...blah blah blah"...If I believed every story I've heard from a "bloke in the pub", then by now, the Albion would have:

- Gone bust
- Be taken over by a Russian Oligarch
- Bought back Zamora
- Sold Glen Murray
- Appointed Barry Lloyd as Adams' replacement
- Gone down in a season because they couldn't afford to stay up
- Signed Kaka
- Signed Kanchelskis
- Opened a ground at Waterhall
- Opened a ground at Beeding Cement Works

etc,etc,etc.

The reason why the average "bloke in the pub" tells people these stories is because no other fucker will talk to him because he always pissed!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here