Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton/London marathon training

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
had a nice 6 mile run today after a leg workout and spin class this morning, added a few sprints in for good measure

running from sussex uni tomorro, along to the pier, and right along to shoreham and back tomorro, will let you know my time and how far it actually is

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I did 20 miles in 2:27 on Saturday. All thing, considered I should be reasonably pleased with that as I started off *very* slowly because my head wasn't really in it for about 5 miles.

That's now 4 weeks without a drop of alcohol and 3 weeks running with weights, and my performance has certainly improved.

22 miles on Saturday (not running Hastings afterall), then a taper down with one more 18 mile run and finally one more 16 mile run.

Ran 20 miles yesterday, in just under 3hrs. I think that half of Brighton were out on the prom yesterday running!

Next Sunday, going to catch the train to Ford & then to run to Hove. Done it before & of course in my case will be running home.

Goring 20 the week after.

Would recommend that all marathon runners take part in this event as your last long run before April.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
had a nice 6 mile run today after a leg workout and spin class this morning, added a few sprints in for good measure

running from sussex uni tomorro, along to the pier, and right along to shoreham and back tomorro, will let you know my time and how far it actually is

I run home from Sussex uni (home is poets corner) and it's roughly 10km. Sussex to the pier is about 7-8km.

Did 15 miles on Saturday but I've been seriously running on empty this last week, my body feels as if it's falling apart! Hopefully will pick up before the weekend and 18 miles.

D

Deleted User X18H

Doing 16 today. Do I need to do up to 20 prior though? Cheers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was supposed to do the Hastings Half today but did not get back from holiday until late last night. So, I scrapped that and did a slow 20 miler around Brighton this morning incorporating a Sport Relief mile.

I managed to get in two 8 mile treadmill runs and a 90 minute run in the Alps (did 40 mins down and 50 back up again).

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
15 mile Cross country race yesterday, and a road half marathon today

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
any tips for a first timer who's 2nd 20 miler on Friday seemed a lot worse than the first one the previous Friday? similar route.

hat's off to some of the times being achieved - you'll lap me!

My tip is do not worry. Some runs are worse or better than others, for both physical and mental reasons. I did an appalling 12 mile run a little over a week ago; no energy or enthusiasm. Recent runs have been fine though. When it comes to race day, assuming you've done all/most of the training, and have tapered down you'll be fully prepared and raring to go. During the training stages you're always pushing yourself and towards the end you're doing a lot of long distance runs with little time to recover. The taper allows you to fully recover.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Heaven forbid that THPP should ever sign up to do a marathon. But in that worst case scenario, I like to think I'd be cheered by the fact that its 26 miles and, assuming a steady 4mph pace, I could walk the thing in six and a bit hours without so much as ever breaking into a jog. Anything else would be a bonus.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
22 miles in 2:52 on Saturday - really fell away badly though. I need to up my game to do my planned 3:15. :(

I recommend that April marathon runners run Goring 20 next Sunday. It will give you a race feel for a longer distance, together with completing the last long run in company.
Not the best route (4 loops) but it is flat. I have done this 5 times & would thoroughly advise for as many of you to do it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here