Brighton/London marathon training

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
I got a bit lost in Ovingdean as the map was unclear,
- Quite big uphill bit up Ainsworth Avenue.,
- Sharp decent down Beacon Hill

You go past that turning into Ainsworth, carry on past the church and then follow the road as it swings right and starts going up hill. There's a back entrance to that school which is the turning point, the course then goes through the school grounds to deposit you back at that turning to Ainsworth Ave.

That climb up Ainsworth would have been horrible and that steep downhill down Beacon Hill even worse!

20 miles for me yesterday. That last 6 isn't going to be much fun if 18-20 were anything to go by.

I think the toughest part of it is the investment in time. Going out for 1hr is alright but having to put in 3-4hrs in really eats into your day. Plus the fact I'm completley shagged for the rest of the day / weekend. I'll be glad when its over!

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I am starting to feel quite fit - did 14.5 yesterday, 20 miles next week (spitfire 20) - I have never run 20 miles even though I have done a marathon. I am going to aim for steady 9 1/2 minute miles. Aiming for a 22 mile run 2 weeks after that then a taper. I think this is Ok any experienced runners confirm (ps doing London 25th April not brighton)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I notice this thread has not been hijacked yet.

I bet, however, that many of NSC's unfitter members have read through it in its entirety and are just too ashamed to comment :D

I'm about to go out for a cheeky seven miler which, having only got into road running fairly recently, am personally rather proud of, but you lot make me feel like Dawn French attempting the Marathon des Sables :lolol:

Just back from Steyning having run the cross country marathon. Weather was superb. First 15 miles were fine but the next 11 were sloppy & muddy in places as the frost thawed. Still pleased with my time. That was marathon 28.

29 will be Brighton
30 Three Forts
31 Windermere
32 South Down

will keep me out of mischief till June!

So who is going to run a marathon after Brighton?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Just back from Steyning having run the cross country marathon. Weather was superb. First 15 miles were fine but the next 11 were sloppy & muddy in places as the frost thawed. Still pleased with my time. That was marathon 28.

29 will be Brighton
30 Three Forts
31 Windermere
32 South Down

I think it will depend on how this goes, Im looking forward to it but a little nervous now. I just want it to be Here now as I think Im as fit as I am going to be and im getting a bit bored of the training runs.

I wont miss

The eating
The aches
The Long runs
The feeling that you have to go out running.
The long gym sessions running.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've just got back from the Thanet 20. I'm not a fan of Kent in general but I was pleasantly surprised by how nice the run was. There were some nice sections along the proms, harbours and beaches of Ramsgate and Broadstairs. And both these towns were much nicer than I expected. Top weather as well. I also did it slightly faster than my planned marathon time which was pleasing.

As an aside I must admit a pony tail, lycra shorts and knee-high compression socks is a good look.

As for the 'will you do another'.....London will be my second marathon. I aim to do all the 'majors'....so yes you will see me again.

My reward for my endeavours was a double cheese and bacon burger (although the chef forgot the bacon), large fries and large onion rings.

All in all a good days work.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

29 will be Brighton
30 Three Forts
31 Windermere
32 South Down

Proper running loony :thumbsup:

I think it will depend on how this goes, Im looking forward to it but a little nervous now. I just want it to be Here now as I think Im as fit as I am going to be and im getting a bit bored of the training runs.

I wont miss

The eating
The aches
The Long runs
The feeling that you have to go out running.
The long gym sessions running.

Don't forget your mileage should peak 4 weeks before the big day. Then to reduce the miles & the week of the race do very few runs.

Believe me come marathon day you will be raring to go & your body will be refreshed too. Hope this tit bit helps?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
OK, I've just got in from my little 7 miler. Pathetic by your standards, I know, but hey, I'm just getting into it.

The most annoying thing I'm finding so far is when I run, my fingers swell up after a while from where the blood sort of pools in my hands. I find it really uncomfortable and it makes my hands feel stiff, especially if its cold. I'm sure this can't be unusual, but is there any way to avoid it? ???

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Yeah Metropole 16th April £10 apparently.

Indeed, they're doing a pre-race pasta party- although the blurb from the hotel is a tad worrying if you ask me....

Hilton Brighton Metropole Pasta Parties
Come and join the thongs:ohmy: of other runners at one of Brighton’s premier hotels on the seafront - The Hilton Brighton Metropole.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
OK, I've just got in from my little 7 miler. Pathetic by your standards, I know, but hey, I'm just getting into it.

The most annoying thing I'm finding so far is when I run, my fingers swell up after a while from where the blood sort of pools in my hands. I find it really uncomfortable and it makes my hands feel stiff, especially if its cold. I'm sure this can't be unusual, but is there any way to avoid it? ???

Could give a pair of light weight running gloves a go ? may help may not.

Try flexing you fingers evry few hundred meters ?

D

Deleted User X18H

I just did 13 glorious miles but I did the main part along the seafront from the Pier out to Western Esplanade and then back to Peter Pans I then ran back to Preston Park where I started. 18 miles next Sunday:ohmy:

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
Eddie izzard kiss my arse :)

Just completed my first ever half marathon in eastbourne, didnt realise it went up beachy head. vicious bastards. last couple of miles were tough but ive done it, i rock
get in.

D

Deleted User X18H

Just completed my first ever half marathon in eastbourne, didnt realise it went up beachy head. vicious bastards. last couple of miles were tough but ive done it, i rock
get in.

Well done Sir congrats....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

get in.

Great news, good for you. Congrats.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

get in.

6.25pm - that's a late finish, was it dark? what was your time?

well done mate, it must be a brill feeling finishing your first marathon

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
Half marathon! went into brighton and ate like a f***ing ethiopian at a eat as much as you can buffet at las iguanas with mates. Stood up after being sat at the table for a couple of hours and nearly crumpled to the floor in the middle of the restaurant :)

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

29 will be Brighton
30 Three Forts
31 Windermere
32 South Down

I also ran? (& walked) Steyning today

coming up:

Compton 40 April 3
Brighton April 18
London April 25
Three Forts May 2
South Downs June 12

I also have Abingdon booked in October, may well be doing the Downland Challenge 30, and, perhaps, a few other longer ones before then.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Been running 10 + miles everytime i go running, which is limited due to work commitments, but when i finish work late, im straight in the gym doing spin classes, circuit classes etc....i know its not the same, but i still see it as fitness...

had a good 8 mile run tonight, slowed it right down to get the pace needed for the marathon, and wasnt out of breathe when i got in which is a good sign

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here