Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton/London marathon training

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Right two things: This morning the moon was low and f**king massive. Anyone else see it? Also, the new Hot Chip album is damn fine. Their best yet?

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Just out of intrest to all you people who run these 20mile races, is there that much diffrence between that and doing a full marathon? If your running that far does another six miles really make that much diffrence?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I ponced out of a run yesterday morning cos it was cold, so I insulated my loft instead. :(

Running at lunchtime today - 2 x 8.25 mile circuit along The Thames.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Just out of intrest to all you people who run these 20mile races, is there that much diffrence between that and doing a full marathon? If your running that far does another six miles really make that much diffrence?
No. In fact, you can't really train for running beyond 20 miles. i.e. just cap it at 20 or maybe 21 miles and make sure you're comfortable running that distance.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I was going to do one 22 a couple weeks before, is that too much?
Well it's more or less your limit, but personally I'd think you're better off running it around 3 weeks before the race. Two weeks doesn't leave a lot of time for recovery, and sometimes that's what your body can need to *fully* recover from a long run.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
The Worthing 20 miler sounds about right for my preperations, enough time for me to start increasing towards 20miles but 3 weeks before the Brighton marathon so enough recovery time for me to start tapering my training down.

I was going to do one 22 a couple weeks before, is that too much?

Yes, too much 2 weeks beforehand.

As a seasoned marathon runner, let me give you some good sound advice.

You should peek mileage 4 weeks before the marathon, then reduce your miles. The Sunday before the marathon do 10/12 miles, 2 weeks before no more than 15 and 3 weeks before no more than 18 miles.

Another good tip. Your 5 longest runs in training should up to 100 miles, if you are looking at a reasonable/good time of less than 3.45.

Hope this helps!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Cranleigh on the 28th March is a good one,

15 OR 21 miles.

Take your pick depending on how you feel after 15 miles on the day.

Beautiful country lanes too.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes, too much 2 weeks beforehand.

As a seasoned marathon runner, let me give you some good sound advice.

You should peek mileage 4 weeks before the marathon, then reduce your miles. The Sunday before the marathon do 10/12 miles, 2 weeks before no more than 15 and 3 weeks before no more than 18 miles.

Another good tip. Your 5 longest runs in training should up to 100 miles, if you are looking at a reasonable/good time of less than 3.45.

Hope this helps!

I agree with this, my program peaks at 22 miles 3 weeks before the race. The following weekend I do 18 miles then I have a two week taper with a cheeky half marathon the weekend before.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
..if you want to be hard core and get up early, at the moment the tide is low enough so you can run on the beach on the sand pretty much all the way from Hove Lagoon to the marina. 6am onwards will do it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here