Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

brighton linked to shipperly

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
KinkyGoebels said:
Who would you rather have mccammon or him?

shipperley is a proven goal scorer at this level

He got 10 goals in 43 games in the season Palace went up. Hardly incredible, say what you like about McCammon but he probably had a better strike rate than that last season. :jester:

eagles #1

May 7, 2004
London
brightonfan_86 said:
I think SJ don't know anything about ambitions think about this AJ wants to leave to further his England career, but SJ want's to keep him in my book that's disgraceful.
If he stays with you his England career will go down the toilet just like the rest of your shitty club.
Think before you post you muppet. You support Brighton, i support Palace, we are far superior financially, support in numbers and success-wise to you lot. You will go down the toilet and we will be shitting on top of you.

Why shouldnt Jordan want to hold onto his best player?! AJ signed a 5 year contract last year...he didnt have to! If he didnt he could have left for a nominal fee this summer. Do you seriously think Sven will pick him over his darlings Owen, Rooney, Smith, Defoe anyway? I dont. But if he goes and scores 30+ goals in the CCC i think Sven will have to take notice at least. AJ has had his head turned by agents as per usual with these footballers. But unluckily for him our chairmans no mug and if he does sell him...it will be for shitloads of cash.

:lolol:

Stumpy Tim

The truth is Brighton & Palace are at different ends of the Championship. Shipperly is not going to get Palace back in the premiership, but he may well score enough goals to keep us in the championship. He would be a good signing in my book.

If we're going to sign someone from Cardiff, I hope it's Alan Lee. He would be a great signing

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
eagles #1 said:
Think before you post you muppet. You support Brighton, i support Palace, we are far superior financially, support in numbers and success-wise to you lot.

You have more money admittedly, but this is due to the fact that you weren't royally f***ed in the arse by an ex chairman who sold your ground thus severely restricting your income.

But there is nothing to suggest Palace have more fans than Brighton. You have far more seats to fill and currently more success, owing to your finances. You are not however, a bigger club. You are simply enjoying a period of relative success, whilst our club is still desperately fighting to put right the damage done by above mentioned ex chairman, damage which hinders our progress significantly.

So given the above, and the respective attendances of our clubs when on more level pegging (ie when we had a ground) it is fairly safe to assume that Palace are in fact no bigger than Brighton. In fact given the proximity of Selhurst to many other league clubs in and around London compared with the lack of another league ground for miles around Brighton it is not difficult to see that the catchment area for a potential fanbase is greatly in Brighton's favour and were it not for our misfortunes of recent years then it is reasonable to assume Brighton would be enjoying higher attendances than Palace, assuming our successes on the pitch were reasonable given our size.

Even Michael Schumacher fails when he's not given the right Ferrari.

The real problem is that our two clubs haven't been competing on level pegging for a great many years now and until we have secured a new stadium and subsequently increased our finances, we will have little hope of emulating Palace's recent successes in reaching the Premiership and paying large transfer fees for players. Rest assured however, that once we are in a more secure position and thus able to compete on a more level playing field we will be beating Palace on a regular basis.

So can we please put to rest this tired idea that Palace are somehow bigger and better than Brighton? The truth is our club is playing blindfolded with it's legs tied together and so is naturally at a disadvantage, but this is all due to change, and when it does then we'll see who is the bigger club.

I am just so sick of hearing Palace fans blab on about their club's superiority despite the fact that their club is clearly less important in the grand scheme of things

Give it a rest

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Bluejuice said:
So can we please put to rest this tired idea that Palace are somehow bigger and better than Brighton? The truth is our club is playing blindfolded with it's legs tied together and so is naturally at a disadvantage, but this is all due to change, and when it does then we'll see who is the bigger club.

I am just so sick of hearing Palace fans blab on about their club's superiority despite the fact that their club is clearly less important in the grand scheme of things

Give it a rest
It certainly is boring to hear their fans coming on here and banging on about how small we are compared to them. Yes, we haven't averaged 16-17k for about 20 years, but that's partly because we haven't been able to for well over half that time. Personally, I do think Palace are a bigger club - just not better. Even in the halcyon days of us averaging 30k towards the end of 1978, Palace got 51k to watch them against Burnley on the last day of that season. But these idiots either forget or are too young to remember when our gates were DOUBLE or higher what Palace were getting as recently as 1984. In that Henry Houghton/Gerry Ryan season, they were averaging less than 5,000 in this division. :clap2: :lolol: In fact, Palace lost at HOME to Wimbledon that season FIVE NIL in front of 4,005. :lolol:

Anyway, once Falmer is built, the gap will narrow massively. We'll have a better ground (although slightly smaller capacity) - but that's no real indicator of financial size these days. Television money and other revenue sources are all far more important than money through the turnstyles.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I think Shipperly would be a pretty decent signing. We don't need him to score 20+ goals. 12-15 would do nicely. I think that Leon, if given a bit of space and freedom- which signing a half decent striker like shipperly would do- will be a much more dangerous player. I think Leon would then be able to chip in with 8-10 goals. If CKR is as good as we hope, I'm sure he'll be able to score a few. And I'm confident that Jake will get a couple over the course of the season. So between them the strikers should be able to get the goals we need to stay up.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Id take Shipperley, he really is an excellent target man.
He has had injury problems of late is the only worry.
If the medical staff and the manager think hes up for it then its a definate Yes from me.

Oct 20, 2004
walsall
In case anyone has forgotten, we struggled to score goals last season, and shipperly will always get you 10 goals a season. So why not turn him from the dark side if we can afford him.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Stumpy Tim said:
The truth is Brighton & Palace are at different ends of the Championship. Shipperly is not going to get Palace back in the premiership, but he may well score enough goals to keep us in the championship. He would be a good signing in my book.

If we're going to sign someone from Cardiff, I hope it's Alan Lee. He would be a great signing

alan lee is bloody quality, he's a more talented richie barker

great target man, and he is one of the hardest working players ive seen play, he just wont stop running

if we were to sign any player in the championship, i would take him. just simply because he would give 110% every week, and get the goals we would need

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Is the player who we're signing better than those we've already got? That's got to be the real issue when it comes to the Albion's transfer policy. IF we are interested in Shipperley then the answer, regardless of Palace connections, has to be a resounding yes. He needs to lose at least a stone and a half but when he was at Palace he worked his balls off for the team. The other thing I know the club are very hot on when it comes to signing new players is to ask how they'll fit into the squad/club. What are they like as people? Are they in and out of clubs all the time etc.

The big question for us regarding Shipperley is can McGhee keep him out of the pie shop?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Sneaky George said:
The big question for us regarding Shipperley is can McGhee keep him out of the pie shop? [/B]

Mentioning no names... MM has been successful in doing that with other 'big boned' players... so it could be a good bet !

eagles #1

May 7, 2004
London
Bluejuice said:
You have more money admittedly, but this is due to the fact that you weren't royally f***ed in the arse by an ex chairman who sold your ground thus severely restricting your income.

But there is nothing to suggest Palace have more fans than Brighton. You have far more seats to fill and currently more success, owing to your finances. You are not however, a bigger club. You are simply enjoying a period of relative success, whilst our club is still desperately fighting to put right the damage done by above mentioned ex chairman, damage which hinders our progress significantly.

So given the above, and the respective attendances of our clubs when on more level pegging (ie when we had a ground) it is fairly safe to assume that Palace are in fact no bigger than Brighton. In fact given the proximity of Selhurst to many other league clubs in and around London compared with the lack of another league ground for miles around Brighton it is not difficult to see that the catchment area for a potential fanbase is greatly in Brighton's favour and were it not for our misfortunes of recent years then it is reasonable to assume Brighton would be enjoying higher attendances than Palace, assuming our successes on the pitch were reasonable given our size.

Even Michael Schumacher fails when he's not given the right Ferrari.

The real problem is that our two clubs haven't been competing on level pegging for a great many years now and until we have secured a new stadium and subsequently increased our finances, we will have little hope of emulating Palace's recent successes in reaching the Premiership and paying large transfer fees for players. Rest assured however, that once we are in a more secure position and thus able to compete on a more level playing field we will be beating Palace on a regular basis.

Give it a rest
You lot not being able to compete at a higher level is Palace's fault is it??

Future this, future that, blah blah blah. The FACT is...Crystal Palace F.C are a bigger, more successful club than Brighton and Hove Albion. How do you know you will be bigger than us 'when' you get a ground? How do you know Palace wont move, build a new stadium? By your 'look into the future' logic if we have a good season this year and get promoted, we'll have a manager with Premiership experience having another crack at it and a squad exactly the same. We'll have more money to spend and hopefully will establish ourselves in the top flight and become a Charlton perhaps. The future looks very bright fo CPFC if managed in the right way.

"You have more money admittedly, but this is due to the fact that you weren't royally f***ed in the arse by an ex chairman who sold your ground thus severely restricting your income."

Again, funny you should say that....does Mark Goldberg ring any bells? Yes, we were about half an hour away from extinction when Simon Jordan came and saved us. And what a brilliant job he's done.

I know you dont like to hear it because we're your hated rivals and visa versa so i'll just remind you:

Crystal Palace F.C are a bigger, richer, more successful club than Brighton and Hove Albion.

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
eagles #1 said:
You lot not being able to compete at a higher level is Palace's fault is it??

Future this, future that, blah blah blah. The FACT is...Crystal Palace F.C are a bigger, more successful club than Brighton and Hove Albion. How do you know you will be bigger than us 'when' you get a ground? How do you know Palace wont move, build a new stadium? By your 'look into the future' logic if we have a good season this year and get promoted, we'll have a manager with Premiership experience having another crack at it and a squad exactly the same. We'll have more money to spend and hopefully will establish ourselves in the top flight and become a Charlton perhaps. The future looks very bright fo CPFC if managed in the right way.

"You have more money admittedly, but this is due to the fact that you weren't royally f***ed in the arse by an ex chairman who sold your ground thus severely restricting your income."

Again, funny you should say that....does Mark Goldburg ring any bells? Yes, we were about half an hour away from extinction when Simon Jordan came and saved us. And what a brilliant job he's done.

I know you dont like to hear it because we're your hated rivals and visa versa so i'll just remind you:

Crystal Palace F.C are a bigger, richer, more successful club than Brighton and Hove Albion.

Sadly your name is wrong, it should be Eagles#2. This whole sizest issue depends on a lot of factors which you have either ignored or glazed over, no point in debating the issue further except to say what happened to Goldberg ?

eagles #1

May 7, 2004
London
bhaexpress said:
Sadly your name is wrong, it should be Eagles#2. This whole sizest issue depends on a lot of factors which you have either ignored or glazed over, no point in debating the issue further except to say what happened to Goldberg ?
So Brighton are infact a bigger club than Palace, they're just hiding are they? :rolleyes: How can you say that at this present time Palace are not a bigger club than you??

No idea what happened to Goldberg and dont really give a shit to be honest.

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
Scotty M said:
alan lee is bloody quality, he's a more talented richie barker

great target man, and he is one of the hardest working players ive seen play, he just wont stop running

if we were to sign any player in the championship, i would take him. just simply because he would give 110% every week, and get the goals we would need

Surely someone of Alan Lee's quality will be snapped up by someone else. Even a League 1 or 2 side (Remember Mansfield offering more than us for Benjamin) may be more attractive.

I think the Ship may come to us if he doesn't want to move home and wants a better chance of 1st team football. MM can sell the fact that he can share his experience with the youngers players etc. I just hope we can pay him in line with others and that anything extra would be based on Goals or even appearances (He had a knee pproblem for a lot of last year and ended up putting on the pounds). I don't want to end up with another Kitson:angry:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
eagles #1 said:
So Brighton are infact a bigger club than Palace, they're just hiding are they? :rolleyes: How can you say that at this present time Palace are not a bigger club than you??

Now did I say that ? No I didn't. However you do rather illustrate my point about Croydon's illiteracy problem.

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
brightonfan_86 said:
I think Alan Lee is too good for League 1 or 2. It would be good if we signed him down here, it could be the target man we're looking for.

Agreed but more money, playing in a winning side, nearer to home or anywhere where cost of living(housing) is cheaper may be more attractive than minmum wage in the costly south playing in a side where he will get about 10% of the ball.

His wages will currently be way in excess of what we can afford. I reckon he'd have to take a 60%+ cut in his salary. Can't see him wanting to do that AND play for a losing side.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here