Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove City Council election results

D

Deleted User X18H

For the record I pleased with the proposals for; more local volunteer groups, improved parking arrangements, pot hole repairs, continuing control of council tax charges, extension of school capacities and the reduction in empty council houses.

D

Deleted User X18H

We'll all be wearing fingerless gloves and eating cold baked beans out of the tin. Huddled on street corners quoting Kafka. The Greens are communists nothing more nothing less.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Nine minutes that took you I'd have thought you'd have come back in seconds.

Perhaps I've not made it obvious enough that I've been following the election results all day. Apologies for not devoting my time entirely to arguing pointlessly with you.

We have different opinions, you and I, and we're allowed to, we live in a free country. However, on this occasion more people in our locality appear to be sitting on my side of the fence than on yours. This is just how it goes. You don't need to be all defensive about it

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
So it's NOC, but are we looking at a Green / Labour controlled council with the Tories marginalised? I don't think it's always a bad thing when politicians are forced to co-operate.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
I can't believe this absolute shambles from the absolute idiots who live in Brighton and Hove. It is sickening.

D

Deleted User X18H

Perhaps I've not made it obvious enough that I've been following the election results all day. Apologies for not devoting my time entirely to arguing pointlessly with you.

We have different opinions, you and I, and we're allowed to, we live in a free country. However, on this occasion more people in our locality appear to be sitting on my side of the fence than on yours. This is just how it goes. You don't need to be all defensive about it

No fair enough. Enjoy the victory!

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Greens become largest party in Brighton and Hove

The Greens have triumphed in the local elections in Brighton and Hove winning 24 seats out of 54, making them the largest party on the council.

They are tantalisingly short of an overall majority – needing four more seats with one ward still to declare.

Brighton Pavilion Green MP Caroline Lucas attended the count, as did Brighton Kemptown Conservative MP Simon Kirby.

The Tories slipped from having 25 seats going into the election to under 20.

Labour’s gains and losses left them in much the same position and they are expected to support a Green administration as junior partners.

From Greens become largest party in Brighton and Hove Brighton and Hove News

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bloody Rottingdean and their blue rinse pond.

Quite. I do not see why they should be part of Brighton when it comes to politics. What's Rottingdean got to do with our city? Why should they be allowed to vote on issues which, in all fairness are irrelevant to them and rarely affect them?

I do not feel I have the right to vote on issues which affect them.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
what has pat hawkes done i have always thought she has been a good servant to the town

Aside from insulting the Tories at their party conference - which some might say is a good thing, but unwise if you hold mayoral office - effectively meaning their non-return for 15 years (and denying the town some much needed tourism money)?

Regarding my missus - it's a long story.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Was chatting to a Tory candidate in my local a couple of nights ago. He said they expected to gain the three extra seats they needed for an overall majority. I told him to stop being ridiculous and the Greens would be the largest party. He laughed in my face and said he'd buy me a pint if they were. I'm going to enjoy drinking that pint in front of him (especially as he didn't get elected himself).

One interesting thing he told me was that Hove and Brighton are separate Tory branches that hate each other. The leader of the Tory group in the council is chosen depending on which out of Hove and Brighton have provided the most councillors. It currently stands at 14 Tories in Hove, and 12 in Brighton (with the Patcham 3 still to declare). I would LOVE IT if they lost at least a seat in Patcham. He seemed more worried about "those Hove bastards" chosing their leader in council than losing the election.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Quite. I do not see why they should be part of Brighton when it comes to politics. What's Rottingdean got to do with our city? Why should they be allowed to vote on issues which, in all fairness are irrelevant to them and rarely affect them?

I do not feel I have the right to vote on issues which affect them.
The same could be said about students , the majority of whom will f*** off after 3 years.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
anyone recognise Big Steve the Tory councillor in South Portslade....100% albion through and through and we used to go to away games together back in the 70's

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Aside from insulting the Tories at their party conference - which some might say is a good thing, but unwise if you hold mayoral office - effectively meaning their non-return for 15 years (and denying the town some much needed tourism money)?

Regarding my missus - it's a long story.

well from my understanding if its just down to pissing off the tory party (probably would have gone anyway) and a personal issue that does not seem to balance with what i have always been told about her and the respect she has for her efforts for the town. as borne out by this result though the town doesnt want these sort of people any more its in the grip of yet another collective pose this time the chance to show off a bit by voting groovily.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here