Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Southampton *** Official Match Thread ***

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
The goal before half time was the turning point. Up TIL then we looked comfortable although our goal was a bit of a gift.

I don't agree we'd switched off and stopped trying five minutes before. We were hanging on for a while for some reason.

In the second half we played a bit at the beginning and then did the same , switched off. I just can't understand why we keep doing this and also why Potter does nothing when it happens.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Okay, you do that, I see about a dozen other factors to blame. Lack of motivation does not happen in the Premier League, you dont become a Premier League or even a Championship player without almost pathological desire to win and a hatred of losing. There is no way the team wasnt motivated, other flaws lead to this loss.

I won’t argue it further, it’s how I see it but Potter is like a favourite child for you, so you’ll never find fault in anything he does. :shrug:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
That's not the first time you've called some one wrong on this thread -you can be awfully arrogant some times.
I don't actually think it's a motivation issue but you have no idea how motivated the players are. You have no idea what was said at half time. You have no idea.

Welcome to the concept of forums. Someone says something, someone else says "nope, you're wrong" and then it usually go back and forth until one of the parts gets tired of it.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I won’t argue it further, it’s how I see it but Potter is like a favourite child for you, so you’ll never find fault in anything he does. :shrug:

I very clearly said he definitely could have done things different. That I dont agree with your clueless take about motivation is a different thing.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I never said this club does not belong in this league I said this SQUAD is not good enough, our home form and points tally tends to back that up ,

except there are 4 teams who deserve to be in the league even less. Where do you draw the line. Thin margins and on balance of VAR decisions we probably should have 2 or 3 more points. better finishing and its 6 or more points..... There are two games coming up against Fulham & Sheffield utd these are games we must win and if we do then we still remain outside bottom 3 for a lot longer. It is frustrating, indeed very frustrating given the way we play nice football but equally you could look at this as a small step up still fighting in the bottom 6 (so nothing new) but at lease the football has generally been much better than say most of the last 3 seasons...

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think there is a problem at the left side of the back three. The only naturally left-sided CB we have is Burn, and he would seem to be about 5th. choice CB. Webster is clearly not happy on the left - he seemed a natural on the right. Maybe Dunk would be worth a try there, with Veltman, White and Webster competing for the other two places.
Maybe it'll be a case of selling some players in the summer that we don't really want to sell to enable us to get in a natural left sided CB.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I very clearly said he definitely could have done things different. That I dont agree with your clueless take about motivation is a different thing.

Explain why we let Southampton dominate. You clearly never watched us under Hughton when we fought for every ball. You are the clueless one here. We were not motivated enough second half, end of ...imo. When you roll over in the PL you get beaten, even the best teams.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Excluding penalties, we have scored 11 in 11 games which is a major worry.
We may not be giving up as many chances as other teams but a failure to get a 2nd goal and thereby have greater control is proving costly.
If we are looking to finish 17th on the basis that there are 3 worse teams in the divison then we need to beat the teams that are likely to finish in the bottom 3, so effectively a couple of 6 pointers coming up, Fulham away and Sheffield United at home.
At the moment I have more conficence that I will be in tier 1 in tomorrows ballot then getting 6 points from those 2 games.

Hopefully, we turn the corner shortly and start to win a few more games, rather than just being told we are an attractive side and difficult to play against.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I think someone needs to take Trossard aside and explain he is not a Rugby Union Fly Half and that the ball needs to go under the crossbar rather than over it to score... :lolol:

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
If its any consolation, James Ward-Prowse would have 100% scored from the free kick on the corner of the box, so it didnt make any difference.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Isn't this why Graham Potter was given a long contract.
In case we are relegated, his style of footy in the Champs, would get us back into the PL.

That has to be the most weird positive slant that I have ever seen attempted!

Thought provoking though.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Quite like these deeper interviews on Sky. Ljungberg could be explaining exactly what we don’t do in the final third - make sure as a front man or midfielder you’re making a run when your teammate looks up to play a pass. Get him on the coaching staff to explain that to our static front 5...

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Explain why we let Southampton dominate. You clearly never watched us under Hughton when we fought for every ball. You are the clueless one here. We were not motivated enough second half, end of ...imo

I've seen some of the games with Hughton retrospectively out of curiosity, and there were a few instances were the opponent dominated... there was also a lot of times when the team didnt got anywhere near the opponents. And just like tonight, it had nothing to do with motivation. Fear, desperation, bad self confidence, poor tactical shape, poor ability - all those things yes. Motivation? No.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I think there is a problem at the left side of the back three. The only naturally left-sided CB we have is Burn, and he would seem to be about 5th. choice CB. Webster is clearly not happy on the left - he seemed a natural on the right. Maybe Dunk would be worth a try there, with Veltman, White and Webster competing for the other two places.
Maybe it'll be a case of selling some players in the summer that we don't really want to sell to enable us to get in a natural left sided CB.

I saw a bit of Webster here at City, and he often played more on the left. He also seemed genuinely two footed. But he definitely seems to be a struggling much more on the left side for us- understandable given the difference in quality of the two leagues (he looked like Baresi at times).
It does seem odd we didn't sign a left sided CB.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
After we took our first Premier League point off Liverpool in our last home game, I felt deflated as we were handed the point by VAR. After we lost a hard point tonight I feel deflated, not by our performance which was good in places and bad in others as was their's, but because the result was, once again, not organic. It was decided with repeat after repeat of a slow motion replay of a tiny irrelevant incident. The rules of football were codified to ensure fair play in a dynamic sport. This crap removes the dynamism and gives the rules priority over the game. Penalties were not introduced into football to stop offences like tonight's, in either direction, or like last week's. Offside rules were introduced to improve the game, not to rule out goals that were scored without players gaining from any tangible advantage from their starting position. The schadenfreude of seeing teams you don't like being robbed of advantages has worn off very quickly. Win,lose, or draw, I'm falling out of love. I think I may be one of many.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Explain why we let Southampton dominate. You clearly never watched us under Hughton when we fought for every ball. You are the clueless one here. We were not motivated enough second half, end of ...imo. When you roll over in the PL you get beaten, even the best teams.

Is that like when we lost at home 5-0 to Bournemouth? Or that gutsy Hughton performance when we fought for every ball and lost at home to Cardiff?

We’re not a top team. We’re going to lose these games sometimes. And Saints btw, are a better team then us right now.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Fear, desperation, bad self confidence, poor tactical shape, poor ability - all those things yes. Motivation? No.

You're being weird.
All those things an issue but not motivation? And you know that?
What are you saying then, that players are always motivated?

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
The VAR pen was unfortunate and unjustified imo - BUT we have had others go in our favour so need to get on with it. A draw would have been the fair result but the game isn't fair and we’ve been punished AGAIN for missing chances and poor defending at a set piece.
Apart from Biss I’m not sure anyone really shone tonight - it was a tight game and they edged it via a dubious decision. Overall we had the better chances.
I get why people find GP’s responses rather passive but the overreaction by some ‘fans’ is extreme I think. It isn’t ESSENTIAL that the manager/coach comes on TV shouting and screaming. There probably are examples of a serial winner like Ancelotti ‘losing it’ publicly but he’s usually very measured in his interviews. You can be calm and successful.
I’m disappointed we lost tonight and will ‘go again’ as an enthusiastic fan tm - hoping we can upset Leicester!!! Aagghhhh!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I've seen some of the games with Hughton retrospectively out of curiosity, and there were a few instances were the opponent dominated... there was also a lot of times when the team didnt got anywhere near the opponents. And just like tonight, it had nothing to do with motivation. Fear, desperation, bad self confidence, poor tactical shape, poor ability - all those things yes. Motivation? No.

A few instances where the opponent dominated? I think you need to watch a bit more, the opponents dominated in the vast majority of games :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here