Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Southampton *** Official Match Thread ***

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I was going to put something similar in my earlier post re the White/Veltman accommodation - do wonder whether the answer could be Veltman/White/Webster as the 3 CBs, at least for a game or two. Can’t see it happening though, particularly with Lallana not playing (although apparently should be fit for the weekend).

It seems absolutely mental to say it. But...
I don't really know enough about the role of the central CB in a 3 man. I thought i did- thought it was more a kind sweeper role. Clearly that isn't what he is doing. But he is being moved around a fair bit. We know how great he is in the box, but we rarely see him making tackles or blocks now. So it feels like a large part of his game isn't required in this system.
I don't know what Potter wants but i feel it's probably three genuine ball playing defenders who can come out with the ball, move in to midfield etc and although Dunk definitely has ability that isn't really him.
I dunno, maybe he is just out form. I hope so. I miss his blocks, and his raking passes.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Can't see why Swiss Andy isn't brought in to partner welbeck and Alzate partnering Biss in the middle of the park.

Not trying to be facetious, but what have you seen to suggest that he should be in the first team squad that the rest of us haven’t? He’s not even played for the 23s yet, has he?

I don’t think the introduction of one player is going to be the magic bullet. Sport is odd, and one day things will just click and we’ll start scoring the goals you’d expect in periods where we’re on top, which was most of the first half today.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I understand refs make mistakes. If the ref had given a penalty and there was no var, fine I can take that. It's the the ref made the correct call, then someone took time and slow motion replays and deliberately made the wrong call. It's not a mistake when you have time and all the replays to make a considered decision, it is that: a considered deliberate decision.

It is annoying, isn’t it? I was always fairly pragmatic about getting bad decisions against as they tend to even out. VAR just infuriates me however. Even the Sky pundits in the studio spent 5 mins analysing it trying to work out how the VAR had come to the conclusion that it was a pen.

It’s our own fault as fans though. We’ve spent decades calling post-match phone in shows to complain about refs and calling for the use of technology. Now we’ve got what we want and we have to finally accept that conventional refs and linesman weren’t so bad after all.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Oh, we'll be OK.

I see it almost completely the other way round. They have better players than us in the majority of positions, who from our starting 11 tonight would realistically get in their starting 11, Bissouma, Lamptey and maybe Ben White. Then they bring a player like Ings of the bench. It’s only because of our managers coaching that we can compete with these teams. Last week against Liverpool being another prime example.

Edit: sorry replied to wrong post!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
How many minutes did that take from the game? At least 3. Football is so shit now and I include our penalty V Liverpool in that.

And only FOUR minutes added time at the end. Absolute joke.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Clearly wasn’t a penalty. We didn’t play too well, but neither team created many chances, draw would’ve been fair.

4 ADDED MINUTES?! The VAR decision and penalty took 4 minutes alone. How many added minutes did Manchester United get against us?

The keeper held the ball for 20 seconds...yes, 20 SECONDS!

What is happening is so bloody strange. There’s been so many games where we’ve been so close to getting something, and most of those have been decided by dodgy VAR calls. :ffsparr:

You wonder why we even bother.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Don't know about you lot, but I'm edging closer to the football exit. Season ticket, Sky, the lot. I hate VAR and the current football culture (diving, "drawing fouls" etc) with a ****ing passion.

And my 12 y.o is with me.

Have to agree. Maybe time to take a look at at other division again where they probably play proper football matches

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I see it almost completely the other way round. They have better players than us in the majority of positions, who from our starting 11 tonight would realistically get in their starting 11, Bissouma, Lamptey and maybe Ben White. Then they bring a player like Ings of the bench. It’s only because of our managers coaching that we can compete with these teams. Last week against Liverpool being another prime example.

Edit: sorry replied to wrong post!

I vigorously agree with you :smile:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I forgot to look at the stadium clock as we left.
Did anyone notice what time the ref blew the whistle.

I green lighted it all the way home and would love to know if I did whistle to door in less than 30 minutes.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I forgot to look at the stadium clock as we left.
Did anyone notice what time the ref blew the whistle.

I green lighted it all the way home and would love to know if I did whistle to door in less than 30 minutes.

9:52 I believe.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Bollox 34mins.

I switched off the TV after final whistle, I was asleep within 34 minutes, aided and abettted by a busy working day, a slightly stressful working issue with builders at home, cramming chores in by 8, 4 cans of punk and half a bottle of red . . . . I did have a few random flutters on an impressive Albion win,which all lost, but the 1-2 back up bet @ 9/1 restored my float for next weekend. . . .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here