Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Southampton *** Official Match Thread ***

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is that like when we lost at home 5-0 to Bournemouth? Or that gutsy Hughton performance when we fought for every ball and lost at home to Cardiff?

We’re not a top team. We’re going to lose these games sometimes. And Saints btw, are a better team then us right now.

You have chosen the nadir. Saints (again :rolleyes:,) Cardiff and Bournemouth were the three worst games under CH.

Most games under CH we were outclassed but so much more gutsy than second half tonight.

I have total faith in Potter and I love how he has us playing but tonight, second half was a low point in his management here.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We didn’t lose because of a dodgy penalty, we lost because (again) we failed to score from plenty of decent build up play, had a few awful shots when in good positions and played much of the second half like league two cloggers for some reason I can’t work out.

Really odd performance to judge for me. Played some fantastic football at times (Groß instrumental in much of it), crap in front of goal (Groß guilty at least twice) and I’m getting increasingly unsure whether Ben in CM works as well as maybe Alzate would - he’s a CB but Potter is accommodating both him and Veltman so someone has to move.......

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Isn't this why Graham Potter was given a long contract.
In case we are relegated, his style of footy in the Champs, would get us back into the PL.

I thought that a while back but now I'm not so sure.

Potter has made us better against the top teams but worse against the bottom teams.

Follow that pattern in the Championship and we don't go up.

He needs to find a way to win against teams with worse players.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
After we took our first Premier League point off Liverpool in our last home game, I felt deflated as we were handed the point by VAR. After we lost a hard point tonight I feel deflated, not by our performance which was good in places and bad in others as was their's, but because the result was, once again, not organic. It was decided with repeat after repeat of a slow motion replay of a tiny irrelevant incident. The rules of football were codified to ensure fair play in a dynamic sport. This crap removes the dynamism and gives the rules priority over the game. Penalties were not introduced into football to stop offences like tonight's, in either direction, or like last week's. Offside rules were introduced to improve the game, not to rule out goals that were scored without players gaining from any tangible advantage from their starting position. The schadenfreude of seeing teams you don't like being robbed of advantages has worn off very quickly. Win,lose, or draw, I'm falling out of love. I think I may be one of many.

I feel the same.

The euphoria that VAR’s marvellous, predictably, came back to bite us just one week later with VAR’s awful.

It’s surreal that a generally fast flowing game, is now so often decided in very slow motion in a room full of screens somewhere in England. Certain refs were awful anyway, this has multiplied the number of officials who can be incompetent or gutless during a game.

Potter needs to get a but of the Klopp mentality. He gave a great interview last week in the papers and said basically that what separates a good manager from a great manager is that the great managers are prepared to substitute early in the game (he mentioned something about subbing players as early as 25 minutes). Clearly that wasnt warranted today but certainly at half time we shoulda made changes.

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
OMG that was absolute dire shite , we could do another 90 mins and still not score . A training match for Southampton in 2nd half . Why o why can we not do anything from a set piece???? Potter will say as usual that we learnt from it and VAR was against us . He is worse than Hypia .

All I can say is thank god I was tier 3 and please make me tier 3 or 4 for this coming Sheffield game Sunday as it’s in the bag that they will get their first 3 points of the season .

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Saints aside, they are a very well drilled side with match winners, I am worried and disappointed in the lack of leadership on the pitch, particularly as the manager and coaches are virtually silent on the line.

Not sure if Lallana is a leader and we may have missed him tonight.

But what’s happened to Dunk? He seemed very wound up tonight and nearly got booked for dissent when all the referee was trying to do was speak to him as captain about our players wasting time.

And the Webster/March defensive set up is an accident waiting to happen with Webster getting caught out of position and Solly dangling a leg or making a rash challenge.

Connolly adds very little and Maupay looked very sluggish. Welbeck does ok but I’d be surprised if he gets into double figures this season.

Potter has to take responsibility.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Isn't this why Graham Potter was given a long contract.
In case we are relegated, his style of footy in the Champs, would get us back into the PL.

That has to be the most weird positive slant that I have ever seen attempted!

Thought provoking though.

Many of us thought the same about Chris Hughton in the early days in the PL - if he couldn't keep us up, he'd have been the one we wanted to get us back up again.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We didn’t lose because of a dodgy penalty, we lost because (again) we failed to score from plenty of decent build up play, had a few awful shots when in good positions and played much of the second half like league two cloggers for some reason I can’t work out.

Really odd performance to judge for me. Played some fantastic football at times (Groß instrumental in much of it), crap in front of goal (Groß guilty at least twice) and I’m getting increasingly unsure whether Ben in CM works as well as maybe Alzate would - he’s a CB but Potter is accommodating both him and Veltman so someone has to move.......

Unusual from you to make critical comments. Gives more gravitas.

Other than indecisive finishing which came back to bite us again, there were also attacks where 2 or 3 on 2, became 2 or 3 on 6 because of over passing 18 yards out. The ‘trying to pass it into the net’ syndrome. In summary, a lack of a killer touch.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Saints aside, they are a very well drilled side with match winners, I am worried and disappointed in the lack of leadership on the pitch, particularly as the manager and coaches are virtually silent on the line.

Not sure if Lallana is a leader and we may have missed him tonight.

But what’s happened to Dunk? He seemed very wound up tonight and nearly got booked for dissent when all the referee was trying to do was speak to him as captain about our players wasting time.

And the Webster/March defensive set up is an accident waiting to happen with Webster getting caught out of position and Solly dangling a leg or making a rash challenge.

Connolly adds very little and Maupay looked very sluggish. Welbeck does ok but I’d be surprised if he gets into double figures this season.

Potter has to take responsibility.

Worried about Dunk. Really worried. He has been such a warrior for so long. It'd be young, but i wonder if his body has gone a little. Just seems so off the pace.

Lallana def adds leadership and a bit nous when he is on the pitch.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
You have chosen the nadir. Saints (again :rolleyes:,) Cardiff and Bournemouth were the three worst games under CH.

Most games under CH we were outclassed but so much more gutsy than second half tonight.

I have total faith in Potter and I love how he has us playing but tonight, second half was a low point in his management here.

I definitely agree tonight’s second half, may be one of our most disappointing under Potter. Pretty much everyone under performed.

Almost wondering if the fans had an effect.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Can't see why Swiss Andy isn't brought in to partner welbeck and Alzate partnering Biss in the middle of the park.

My feeling is that Potter has VERY high standards. Regarding what exactly I don't know. Maybe performance in training. General behaviour. Ability to take on instruction. Something.
Because clearly, certain players get chances, lots, and certain players get less chances, much less.
Look at Alzate, we know how well he played, we know he can play a number of roles, it makes no sense to not even be coming off the bench, especially as he was essentially the golden boy last season- he was the one being given a chance, coming off the bench etc.

And the Swiss? We are desperate for something different up front. And he is banging them in for his U21s. Maybe they all just keep getting little knocks. Maybe they all keep getting Covid.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
On the night maybe, but player for player we are a match and maybe more. IF the players are well coached and played to the best of our abilities.

I firmly believe we have a comfortable mid table mediocrity team/squad . . . . Whether we have the manager I'm dithering. talking is just a fraction of a proper job.

Oh, we'll be OK.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
How else do you explain it then? The ref in real time making that glaring error, fine I can understand mistakes happen. But when you see it from multiple angles in slow motion how do you make that error!?

Refs make mistakes, VAR hasn’t changed that. What tangible benefit is there for the ref to give Southampton the win? Sorry but it just sounds childish. I’m a diehard Brighton fan and can quite easily see how is been given, doesn’t mean I’m right, it’s all about opinions, but it doesn’t mean believing it is a pen is corrupt somehow.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Worried about Dunk. Really worried. He has been such a warrior for so long. It'd be young, but i wonder if his body has gone a little. Just seems so off the pace.

Lallana def adds leadership and a bit nous when he is on the pitch.

I was going to put something similar in my earlier post re the White/Veltman accommodation - do wonder whether the answer could be Veltman/White/Webster as the 3 CBs, at least for a game or two. Can’t see it happening though, particularly with Lallana not playing (although apparently should be fit for the weekend).

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Refs make mistakes, VAR hasn’t changed that. What tangible benefit is there for the ref to give Southampton the win? Sorry but it just sounds childish. I’m a diehard Brighton fan and can quite easily see how is been given, doesn’t mean I’m right, it’s all about opinions, but it doesn’t mean believing it is a pen is corrupt somehow.

Take a look on is it a pen thread and see if u still think it’s a pen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here