Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Southampton *** Official Match Thread ***

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
If i had something else to fill the time I'd give it up tomorrow. TBH I wanted to when we went up, but got hooked back in. Thing is, everything I feared back then has become a reality PLUS VAR.
Football is in danger of becoming a totally different 'sport'. And it won't suffer from it, it's an international phenomenon. But it will lose older supporters.

But when a 12 year old is (rightly) saying VAR has ****ed up again, I do worry about the game. I accept I'm not the target audience but presumably he is.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Will it actually, though?

I do know what you mean, and I really feel the same - I'm totally sick of VAR ruining nearly every game (although we deserved to lose tonight anyway), I'm bored of all the theatrics from so many players which is forever increasing as they realise VAR gives bloody anything these days, yet here I am still, discussing the game... I've got a wife and young child too so not like I've got nothing else going on... Arghhh...

No i'm the same, i've not given up yet.
But you just get a sense- the cheating, the way it's becoming non-contact, VAR...it won't happen right now, but how long can a lot of us take it for?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If i had something else to fill the time I'd give it up tomorrow. TBH I wanted to when we went up, but got hooked back in. Thing is, everything I feared back then has become a reality PLUS VAR.
Football is in danger of becoming a totally different 'sport'. And it won't suffer from it, it's an international phenomenon. But it will lose older supporters.

Yes, yes it will. I got side tracked by other hobbies, after slipping into a coma at an home game when Magoo was in charge, then house, family etc . . . I never 'left' but gave up my season ticket in 2005 . . . . I'd never buy one now, and my son is a bit 'Meh'

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Look on the bright side - at least we will have all been vaccinated against coronavirus and not missed a single Premier League home win when we return! Every cloud.......:rolleyes:

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
But when a 12 year old is (rightly) saying VAR has ****ed up again, I do worry about the game. I accept I'm not the target audience but presumably he is.

And that is our hope really, that the kids turn on VAR (and this culture of cheating) too. The worry is, do they turn on VAR or do they start diving in the playground?

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Some of you lot are such pant wetters. We get cheated by clearly corrupt decision and you all turn in the players instead!?
The referee team cost us a point. Let them have it not the players.

What was corrupt? We didn’t deserve anything tonight as the tactics were wrong and the players turgid. It happens, we move on after a couple of decent results and a good run of games coming up. Nothing more, nothing less.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Saints tactically astute. Negated strengths and exploited weaknesses. On Webster, ganged up and pressed him on to his weaker left side and would have done that to any of our right footed defenders in that position.

But Burn would give us better balance and White or Veltman have a better weaker foot

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Please explain how the **** that was a pen then

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The contact which brought him down was on the line. But that’s besides the point; why would the refs, the Prem or the FA favour Southampton over Brighton? Were they corrupt against Liverpool or Villa? Engage brain 🧠

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Don't know about you lot, but I'm edging closer to the football exit. Season ticket, Sky, the lot. I hate VAR and the current football culture (diving, "drawing fouls" etc) with a ****ing passion.

And my 12 y.o is with me.

I feel your pain and we all know there is no chance of getting rid of VAR meaning most matches will be re-reffed by incompetent muppets at Stockley park for the foreseeable. Players exploiting the system too It's all just a bit meh :nono:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Thought we were OK until we scored, then we were a bit shit, particularly the second half. Looked like Southampton had us sussed, didn't look like conceding at all (apart from the penalty).

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Thing is March didn’t need to foul him but did. We had a player tracking back to cover.
VAR then does its thing. It’s helped us last two games so we can’t complain too much. However it did look like first contact was outside the box and second contact was just a coming together. Four minutes from the incident to Ings taking the penalty. Three subs and lots of time wasting and we get four minutes injury time. How ridiculous is that compared to lines that give an offside or not by an inch or a stray arm.

The goal before half time was the turning point. Up TIL then we looked comfortable although our goal was a bit of a gift. We need to defend set pieces better. We also need to find a way to win home games and quick as if we don’t, starting against Sheffield United, we are in real trouble.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here