Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

jonesalice34

Jul 7, 2016
What do you think is going to be with property markets in the UK and the EU?
I believe in the slight fall of prices in England and Spain. Spain will suffer a wane of demand for real estate from British buyers who were extremely active in this market. And in London the weak pound will play its part to attract new foreign investors. A sad thing that common people will suffer at the end.
A good piece on the topic https://tranio.com/united-kingdom/news/real-estate-markets-could-wobble-as-uk-votes-to-leave-the-eu_5152/
"the real estate market in Britain may benefit from heightened foreign interest"

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
He is against Free Movement
Gave a detailed speech back in Feb about his plans for leaving the EU

http://www.daviddavismp.com/david-davis-speech-on-brexit-at-the-institute-of-chartered-engineers/

He absolutely is. So that means for access to the single market he is relying on all the countries of the EU agreeing to abandon one of their totemic 'Four Freedoms' in order to protect their current level of sales to the British market, which represents eight per cent of all exports.

They almost certainly won't do that so trade between the two entities, according to Davis, will be conducted on a WTO basis. Assuming that this will not effect the level of such trade - unlikely - this will raise £2bn in levies, which he will spend on support for the indigenous car industry. It is not clear what he means by the indigenous car industry - the biggest British-owned car maker in the UK is Morgan, which makes wooden-framed sports cars. He may be intending to subsidise other car makers, all of which are foreign-owned.

Whoever he is talking about - he's woolly on this - will lose some of the benefit when sending their vehicles to the EU, which will also apply the same WTO tariffs. "Sending their vehicles to the EU" is central to these foreign manufacturers' business plans - it is an important part of the reason Nissan, Honda, Toyota and BMW have factories in the UK.

I have no idea from what he says whether Davis is a Bennite protectionist throwback or a Thatcherite free trader who wants to dismantle tariffs across the world.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
unfettered capitalism will be the end of the planet.......why shouldn't companies such as amazon , google ,apple etc pay tax .....even a modest 5% of operational profit would not be missed .......oooohhh but what about the share holders....?? twatt.

Of course they should pay tax, and they do, just not as much as is fair. It is up to our Government though to create and implement a tax system that can dig as much out of them as possible without discouraging them from operating here. The best way to shut down tax havens is with international cooperation, and agreement among nations to not out compete on having the lowest rates so that companies will base themselves there.
Quite the opposite of the Farage vision of independent Nation states trading and competing with one another.
By leaving the E.U. we can become more "competetive" i.e. tax businesses less, reduce employment obligations, increased working hours, decreased wages, and lower environmental standards, and if we have shite terms of trade with the E.U., more of this will be needed to offset the hindrances that tariffs create. Great news.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Of course they should pay tax, and they do, just not as much as is fair. It is up to our Government though to create and implement a tax system that can dig as much out of them as possible without discouraging them from operating here. .
theres the problem, they dont necessarily operate here. they are foreign companies with a very small footprint in the UK. Apple sell a laptop to the UK subsiday for say £800 to be sold at £1000, but the manufacture cost £200 is elsewhere. Amazon trades through a Luxembourg subsidiary so pay tax there. Google dont official operate in UK, their servers are in US or elsewhere, their sales team in Ireland. it works the other way, the multinationals in the FTSE 100 pay tax here on profits derived overseas.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Obviously our trade deals would be even more decent with free movement and I wonder if the appointment of Boris - who didn't seem to have an immigration problem on 24 June - might make some sort of Norway deal a little more likely. I don't know how flexible Davis is on the specific question of free movement but Gove, who was almost religeously-anti, is out of the loop.

Oh my goodness. Do you still think free movement is going to happen? It's not. May has been very clear about that.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
unfettered capitalism will be the end of the planet.......why shouldn't companies such as amazon , google ,apple etc pay tax .....even a modest 5% of operational profit would not be missed .......oooohhh but what about the share holders....?? twatt.

I see you have no idea on types of taxation

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Two, three, more referendums - whatever. So, we should go on having referendums until we get the 'right' result - that's what you appear to be adwvocating. And you really can't see how that's less democratic? Words fail me!

I don't agree with pretty much anything you say on this subject, but on the above you are correct. The issue wasn't the result of the referendum the issue was allowing a referendum. However now its done you have to live with the result good or bad. You cant have another one to check. Its not best of three wins.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Oh my goodness. Do you still think free movement is going to happen? It's not. May has been very clear about that.

Oh my goodness. The current signals are that it is not going to happen but I was wondering out loud if the appointment of free-mover (apparently) Boris might make it a little more likely. That's all. Sorry I spoke.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I don't agree with pretty much anything you say on this subject, but on the above you are correct. The issue wasn't the result of the referendum the issue was allowing a referendum. However now its done you have to live with the result good or bad. You cant have another one to check. Its not best of three wins.

Yes, I guess the idea of the referendum was to gauge public opinion on 23 June 2016. My old friend the Shoreham builder dropped by last week for a cup of tea. He said he voted Leave because he thought there were too many Etonians in the government, so I guess he's quite happy with the way things have worked out. Democracy works!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
theres the problem, they dont necessarily operate here. they are foreign companies with a very small footprint in the UK. Apple sell a laptop to the UK subsiday for say £800 to be sold at £1000, but the manufacture cost £200 is elsewhere. Amazon trades through a Luxembourg subsidiary so pay tax there. Google dont official operate in UK, their servers are in US or elsewhere, their sales team in Ireland. it works the other way, the multinationals in the FTSE 100 pay tax here on profits derived overseas.

Yes, I am aware of this.
My belief is that profits made in one place should be taxed in that place. France and Germany would like to standardise EU member states corporation tax rates, or at least set a minimum rate to prevent companies such as Google and Amazon taking advantage of very low tax areas.
The E.U. is not keen on that, but does want to find measures to ensure that profits are taxed where they are made.
UK government is obviously opposed to anyone else setting its tax rates.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yes, I am aware of this.
My belief is that profits made in one place should be taxed in that place.

so we'd have BMW or Sony paying tax on the profits made in the UK to the UK, regardless of the costs being incurred elsewhere? there's the problem, working out how much "profit " is made where the sale occurs. the tax avoidance issue is a much smaller problem than people think (there are some gross distortions), and the alternative are likely to create as many problems as they solve.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I believe that Italy are one of the 4 main players in the EU.....actually silly me, it is now 3, anyway Nigel Farage predicted that around about October time the Italians would be holding their hand out.
Well surprisingly this report from the Guardian
"EU finance ministers get tough with Italian bank trying for third bailout, The country’s third-largest lender has already been bailed out twice in modern Italian history but is likely to need a third multibillion-euro intervention by the Italian government – a move that would need Brussels to break new rules designed to prevent such taxpayer bailouts after the 2008 global financial crisis."

Italy are in trouble and Spain and Portugal are not far behind.

www.theguardian.com/business/2016/j...gh-with-italian-bank-trying-for-third-bailout

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Oh my goodness. The current signals are that it is not going to happen but I was wondering out loud if the appointment of free-mover (apparently) Boris might make it a little more likely. That's all. Sorry I spoke.

Sorry if I offended but seriously! Davies is in charge of Brexit and Fox is in charge of international trade. If you think that Boris might possibly be in favour of free movement and that it will make any difference you are fooling yourself.

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
so we'd have BMW or Sony paying tax on the profits made in the UK to the UK, regardless of the costs being incurred elsewhere? there's the problem, working out how much "profit " is made where the sale occurs. the tax avoidance issue is a much smaller problem than people think (there are some gross distortions), and the alternative are likely to create as many problems as they solve.

The point is to not make it advantageous to shift costs and profits around to avoid taxes, so that there is no benefit in pretending a sale in the UK is not actually making a profit in the UK because the payment gets processed in Ireland. If a company chooses to operate out of one place over another, it should not be solely for the avoidance of tax.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
The issue wasn't the result of the referendum the issue was allowing a referendum.

Horrors. You mean that Democracy actually means that the people in power have to listen to those not in power? We can't be having that. Why not abolish the whole voting every 4 years and just have a Government that "knows best" doesn't get voted onto power or offfice and does what it wants without being held to account by anyone because the 'pople' can't vote them out.

Oh hold on a sec, thats the EU which this DEMOCRACY just kicked out.

No, your problem is that you 'lost' and others who had an opposing view, won.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here