Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
...it was an election manifesto pledge of the party that won an outright majority...

You just don't like democracy, do you?

It's not that people don't like democracy. For me, it should never have been promised or delivered. If we held a referendum to see if everyone wanted to retire at 40 on a full state pension, It' likely get voted in. It eould be democracy. But the country would be bankrupt within 2 years.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
It's not that people don't like democracy. For me, it should never have been promised or delivered. If we held a referendum to see if everyone wanted to retire at 40 on a full state pension, It' likely get voted in. It eould be democracy. But the country would be bankrupt within 2 years.

That would never happen. But it is important that it COULD happen.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Would it have been ok if a party had their policy of withdrawing from the EU, and then they were voted in with a majority? i.e. is it just the idea of the referendum you don't like?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Would it have been ok if a party had their policy of withdrawing from the EU, and then they were voted in with a majority? i.e. is it just the idea of the referendum you don't like?

A policy? That is a stretch. they promised a referendum to lure UKIP voters in. They carried it through to appease back benchers.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Sorry if I offended but seriously! Davies is in charge of Brexit and Fox is in charge of international trade. If you think that Boris might possibly be in favour of free movement and that it will make any difference you are fooling yourself.

If you think Boris really is against the principle of free movement then I think you are wrong, but as to it making any difference then I tend to think you are right. I raised it as a possibility, that's all. Sorry for being foolish.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
12-24 months to hash out trade deals with America, China and other 'favoured trading partners'? Am I understanding this correctly ???

Yes, that is what you're meant to believe. Impressive eh? Especially as it is apparently illegal under the terms of the treaty to enter into trade negotiations until the two year process of Article 50 has finished. Davis is apparently intending to ignore this. Hell, what's a treaty obligation to a country like Great Britain?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
If you think Boris really is against the principle of free movement then I think you are wrong, but as to it making any difference then I tend to think you are right. I raised it as a possibility, that's all. Sorry for being foolish.

The foolishness was understandable for the first week or so after the referendum but since then every statement from every politician likely to be involved in the process has been fairly adamant that free movement must go.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Article here from yesterdays Telegraph on free movement, pointing out its sacrosanct status to the EU - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...sely-emotional-about-free-movement-they-wont/

When Remainers said it would be very difficult to retain full access to the single market without conceding on free movement Brexiters said they were scaremongering. When this turns out to be true Brexiters will say what revengeful bustards the EU negotiators are proven to be. Win, win.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Yes, that is what you're meant to believe. Impressive eh? Especially as it is apparently illegal under the terms of the treaty to enter into trade negotiations until the two year process of Article 50 has finished. Davis is apparently intending to ignore this. Hell, what's a treaty obligation to a country like Great Britain?

What are they going to do to us if he starts negotiations with others? Kick us out or just cancel our rebate?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The foolishness was understandable for the first week or so after the referendum but since then every statement from every politician likely to be involved in the process has been fairly adamant that free movement must go.

Yes, it was the 'fairly' that made me wonder for a moment. Straw-clutching I suppose.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
When Remainers said it would be very difficult to retain full access to the single market without conceding on free movement Brexiters said they were scaremongering. When this turns out to be true Brexiters will say what revengeful bustards the EU negotiators are proven to be. Win, win.

Which is pretty much what Phillip Collins wrote in his column in The Times today. I agreed with every word of it.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
You would love it to be illegal wouldn't you? Just admit that you are desperate for the UK to fail outside your beloved EU.

The legal case is far from clear and 'illegal'. This is from the BBC, a highly remain organisation:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36684876

5ways

Sep 18, 2012

I don't think anyone has said that ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here