Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
After the Leave win Against All Odds eh.

Far from it again I'm afraid. It was a very balanced, realistic column piece from a remain supporting journalist regarding the present and didn't appear to make any speculative assumptions about the future either.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
3rd paragraph - 'I am not so mean-minded that I want the process to fail. I live in this country too and do not wish impoverishment on it just so that I can win an argument, especially when it is someone else who could carry the burden.'

I agree with that. I agree with quite a lot of what Phillip Collins says. He sits on the right wing of the Labour Party, in the same way that Ken Clarke sits on the left of the Tory Party.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I agree with that. I agree with quite a lot of what Phillip Collins says. He sits on the right wing of the Labour Party, in the same way that Ken Clarke sits on the left of the Tory Party.

I agree with a lot of what he writes as well. I can't say the same with Tim Montgomerie.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
It seems that way from the apparent joy you express that things will be difficult all the way for Britain now. You are constantly arguing from the most pessimistic point.

If you were to be truly reasonable, you would be dispassionate and actually accept that whether you like it or not, we are in the process of leaving the EU. How exactly are you helping either yourself or your countrymen by only seeing the negative?

Almost everything in my life is joyful, but this is a debate about the result of the referendum and its likely consequencies. I find it hard to see much positive in what I regard as a difficult, demeaning and unnecessary situation which will reduce the lives of many. I understand that you think the opposite. Plenty do.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Horrors. You mean that Democracy actually means that the people in power have to listen to those not in power? We can't be having that. Why not abolish the whole voting every 4 years and just have a Government that "knows best" doesn't get voted onto power or offfice and does what it wants without being held to account by anyone because the 'pople' can't vote them out.

Oh hold on a sec, thats the EU which this DEMOCRACY just kicked out.

No, your problem is that you 'lost' and others who had an opposing view, won.
To be fair, as a disappointed remainer, his comments were pretty reasonable.if you read the whole of the post - I gave it a thumbs up.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Wow! You are really in denial. May has said it, Davis has said it and Fox has said it. Controlled immigration is a key requirement of Brexit. Explicitly stated by all of them.

What I am not sure of, and it seems to me our own politicians are not sure of, is when can we even start negotiating a trade arrangement. Some think we can negotiate now, before invoking Article 50, some think not until we invoke article 50, and some believe, and I think this is correct, we cannot begin to negotiate until we have gone through the exit process, and are out, a minimum of 2 years after invoking article 50.
If it is at the end of the 2 year exit process, I think we will be in such a shit state by then, through job losses, cuts in benefits, NHS, and other services, to not worry about migrants coming in, they wont bloody want to. We will be wanting free movement so we can go and look for work in EU.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
What I am not sure of, and it seems to me our own politicians are not sure of, is when can we even start negotiating a trade arrangement. Some think we can negotiate now, before invoking Article 50, some think not until we invoke article 50, and some believe, and I think this is correct, we cannot begin to negotiate until we have gone through the exit process, and are out, a minimum of 2 years after invoking article 50.

whilst its very clear that we must give our notification to leave the EU before negotiations on the Brexit can even begin you are right nearly everyone is confused as to whether or not trade negotiations can run alongside brexit negotiations.
Our and EU politicians seem somewhat in the dark.

Some seem to be arguing let the lawyers sort it out.
Others I have read say maybe both sides will just be pragmatic,(as its in their own interests) and conduct trade negotiations alongside exit negotiations and as each section of the brexit is agreed they will know better how they can proceed and announce the trade negotiation outcomes as soon as possible after the brexit is finished.

It would seem the sensible approach from all sides, and reading between the lines no EU members seem keen on dragging this whole affair on further than is necessary. they do after all have the interests of their own industry, exporters and jobs to consider.

Perhaps the EU could write a leave policy that is better legally understood for the next country going to use it.

If it is at the end of the 2 year exit process, I think we will be in such a shit state by then, through job losses, cuts in benefits, NHS, and other services, to not worry about migrants coming in, they wont bloody want to. We will be wanting free movement so we can go and look for work in EU.

well if the economy is going to be such a basket case as you predict you will be grateful for the non discriminatory immigration policy that will be in place after a Brexit. Immigrants will always wish to come to the UK,your belief they wont is rubbish .We will be able to choose the best and the brightest from the globe that want to come here and not have to refuse people because they are non European..
We can manage it in our best interests and allow those that will have a positive impact.
I call that progress, I call that forward thinking, the insular inward thinking of the EU can continue, but I don’t want this country to be a part of it.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
No, your problem is that you 'lost' and others who had an opposing view, won.

What is with this playground "I win, you lose" talk? We are all in this together, so we either all lose or all win.

I imagine his "problem" is that he has been dragged into a gamble of his and all he holds dear's future, by others who had an opposing view.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
What is with this playground "I win, you lose" talk? We are all in this together, so we either all lose or all win.

I imagine his "problem" is that he has been dragged into a gamble of his and all he holds dear's future, by others who had an opposing view.

Exactly, so let's stop the bleating and calling for another vote and get behind the decision, which was Leave.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

You are in denial about the very clear statements from all the politicians that will be managing the withdrawal from the EU that controlled immigration s the part of the foundation of the exit plan. Davis says it is non-negotiable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here