Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
So you just click your fingers and start manufacturing again. The reason there has been a decline in manufacturing is that other countries can do it a lot cheaper, ask James Dyson about that.

...and of course the decline in manufacturing has nothing to do with our membership of the EU - look at Germany. I wish the Fox team well but obviously countries want to do trade deals with us - we buy things in far greater quantities than we sell them. I'm always getting mail shots from companies wanting to do trade deal with my household.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Yeah because what the UK really needs right now is Australian iron ore, coal and gold...
Silly me, I didnt realise we could export to them or that we could import food and other agricultural products .

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
So you just click your fingers and start manufacturing again. The reason there has been a decline in manufacturing is that other countries can do it a lot cheaper, ask James Dyson about that.

We could always circumnavigate potential tariff's that the EU may/may not impose by allowing prestigious German car manufactures to set up factories in the UK,given time the work force becomes more skilled an adapt and we can then expand..

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
We could always circumnavigate potential tariff's that the EU may/may not impose by allowing prestigious German car manufactures to set up factories in the UK,given time the work force becomes more skilled an adapt and we can then expand..

Forgive me if I misunderstand but if the EU imposes tariffs on products imported from the UK why would BMW want to build a factory to make its products in the UK? There might be an argument for BMW building a factory in the UK to export cars to a third country with which we have a trade agreement but that wouldn't work too well either because all the components would have to be imported through the tariff wall we've contrived to erect between ourselves and the rest of our continent.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Forgive me if I misunderstand but if the EU imposes tariffs on products imported from the UK why would BMW want to build a factory to make its products in the UK? There might be an argument for BMW building a factory in the UK to export cars to a third country with which we have a trade agreement but that wouldn't work too well either because all the components would have to be imported through the tariff wall we've contrived to erect between ourselves and the rest of our continent.

I was thinking of our import charges...to the EU and in particular Germany.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I was thinking of our import charges...to the EU and in particular Germany.

Ah. Your post referred to tariffs 'imposed by the EU on products imported from the UK', but it seems you actually meant import charges - tariffs - imposed by us on products imported from the EU. Your thought was that we allow Mercedes (say) to build a factory in the UK so that they could get round the tariff. I'm not sure 'allow' is the right word - 'beg', sadly, would be a better one - but then the second part of my response applies: a Mercedes assembly plant in the UK would involve large-scale component-importing from Germany through the tariff wall we will have created. Would Mercedes go to the huge expense of building a new factory and dealing with swinging exchange rates just to escape an import tariff on the assembly element of the car's value?

I doubt it. It would be easier to build all its cars in existing factories and pay the 10 per cent tariff that Davis will put on them. The customer can pay.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
PS - in fairness there is a potential plus to Brexit in that some EU manufacturers might consider ramping up existing facilities in order to export to countries with which we, but not the EU, have negotiated a trade agreement.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Ah. Your post referred to tariffs 'imposed by the EU on products imported from the UK', but it seems you actually meant import charges - tariffs - imposed by us on products imported from the EU. Your thought was that we allow Mercedes (say) to build a factory in the UK so that they could get round the tariff. I'm not sure 'allow' is the right word - 'beg', sadly, would be a better one - but then the second part of my response applies: a Mercedes assembly plant in the UK would involve large-scale component-importing from Germany through the tariff wall we will have created. Would Mercedes go to the huge expense of building a new factory and dealing with swinging exchange rates just to escape an import tariff on the assembly element of the car's value?

I doubt it. It would be easier to build all its cars in existing factories and pay the 10 per cent tariff that Davis will put on them. The customer can pay.

I thought you had gone out and enjoyed the sunshine-why did you have to come back and post so much "sense"....that said......consumers might migrate away from Germans and take alternatives...Brexit will work.....i cant tell you yet but it will..

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
PS - in fairness there is a potential plus to Brexit in that some EU manufacturers might consider ramping up existing facilities in order to export to countries with which we, but not the EU, have negotiated a trade agreement.

Again more sense......light even at the end of the Brexit tunnel? :lolol:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
It takes your eyes time to adjust after walking out of the sunshine and into a cave. Right now I can't see anything, but perhaps after a time a few rays will poke through.

Don't worry 5ways my good friend,the channel tunnel is still open for business,France awaits for you and always will...it's just temporary..

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
If free trade deals with New Zealand & Australia can also include reciprocal agreements on immigration and Aussie & Kiwi barmaids start reappearing here en masse, then that's definitely a win-win in my book!

It would be nice. Asia has become attractive though, and couple that will small minded england and i am not so sure our appeal will increase

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
It would be nice. Asia has become attractive though, and couple that will small minded england and i am not so sure our appeal will increase

If your going to continue to indulge in lazy, derogatory, stereotyping you should also include the 'small minded' Welsh (52.5% leave vote). :p

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

Mercedes, BMW, and VW have all built factories in South Africa. Import tariffs and floating exchange rates apply here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here