Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
He's got a minimum of 2 years. It's hardly rushing is it? Not everyone is as intransigent as the EU. After all, the EU's trading philosophy is to encourage trade between EU member nations and to discourage trade with non-EU nations.

No it's not it's to get the best terms for its members. Germany has no problem exporting outside the EU.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Glad Leavers have, finally, set out some hard targets and goals. Previously all they could do is rubbish really existing trade deals and talk in meaningless generalities. I wonder what happens if they don't deliver?

"back of the queue" is what I seem to remember.

around 2025 then?

christ on a bike you simply ooze negativity

2025 before our article 50 brexit negotiations are concluded eh?
You seriously believe us and the EU will let our exit from the club drag on that long?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
This deal?

Following the referendum result, Mike Froman, the US trade representative, has held discussions about a UK-US trade deal with senior government a deal with Britain.

Speaking in Washington, Mr Froman has said that the shape of a deal will depend in part on the terms of Britain’s exit from the EU, the Telegraph has reported. Dr Fox will be holding talks with Mr Froman this week, before flying to America, perhaps as early as next weekend.

But Mr Froman admitted that the vote also had significant implications for the future of the deeply unpopular Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) deal currently being negotiated between the US and EU, as America had entered talks in large part as a means to accessing the British market.

Yeah thats the deal, which of course, as the 5th largest economy in the world, we would be a large part, but I suspect access to the 4th and 6th largest in Germany and France would still be of interest, so they are not walking away from it.
Britain large part, France, Germany and rest of EU, larger part.
In the end, we will sort something out, might be a bit better, maybe worse, but definitely later.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
He's got a minimum of 2 years. It's hardly rushing is it? Not everyone is as intransigent as the EU. After all, the EU's trading philosophy is to encourage trade between EU member nations and to discourage trade with non-EU nations.

So you don't want to protect UK industries from overseas competition at all? I am sure we can do the deals quickly, if we don't mind regretting them over a long period time,

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Yeah, I don't believe it, I don't even think Davis believes it, he is just talking Britain up. It will take a lot longer to do deals that are good for Britain with any major economy. If he rushes any deal, he is likely to be giving too much away and not getting enough back.

Politicians who actually have responsibility to deliver usually talk down expectations to avoid disappointment. I think the Government have been genuinely surprised at the positive response from nations that are eager to negotiate new trade deals.

I happened across an interview on Radio 4 with one of the UK's lead trade delegation representatives who said some deals could be completed in a relatively short time frame eg 2 years because existing trade deals we have via the EU could be transferred across with a few adjustments to reflect the new circumstances. We could also use existing trade agreements as useful templates eg the Canada deal speeding up the negotiation process in some cases. Of course there will be some deals that will most likely take 5 + years but the general view seemed to be pretty positive.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
christ on a bike you simply ooze negativity

2025 before our article 50 brexit negotiations are concluded eh?
You seriously believe us and the EU will let our exit from the club drag on that long?

I think the decision is article 50 or Scottish independence. I won't be surprised if it's shelved.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
So you don't want to protect UK industries from overseas competition at all? I am sure we can do the deals quickly, if we don't mind regretting them over a long period time,

It's a strange one, abandon trade protections to embrace a more free market philosophy. I don't think that is exactly what Farage though he was selling.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Look at how long it takes trade deals between other countries to get concluded. Two years is extremely ambitious, bordering on impossible. They say it will take two years to at least conclude the Brexit negotiations. Trade deals with other countries may be conditional on what out Brexit terms are.

There also seems to be some idea that we have an abundance of adequate trade negotiators.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Politicians who actually have responsibility to deliver usually talk down expectations to avoid disappointment. I think the Government have been genuinely surprised at the positive response from nations that are eager to negotiate new trade deals.

I happened across an interview on Radio 4 with one of the UK's lead trade delegation representatives who said some deals could be completed in a relatively short time frame eg 2 years because existing trade deals we have via the EU could be transferred across with a few adjustments to reflect the new circumstances. We could also use existing trade agreements as useful templates eg the Canada deal speeding up the negotiation process in some cases. Of course there will be some deals that will most likely take 5 + years but the general view seemed to be pretty positive.

Normally, Politicians have the job of persuading us to vote one way or another, they say all kinds of things to do this. Once they have the votes they needed, they then make reassuring noises of how quickly they will deliver the promises, then we wait and see, and are more often than not, disappointed.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I think the decision is article 50 or Scottish independence. I won't be surprised if it's shelved.

First of all you think it will be 2025 at the earliest before article 50 negotiations are concluded
now you think even you are talking balls and now think it might never happen because the jocks are being jocks about independence.

is it possible you could make your mind up?,in one breath yes we are leaving but it will take ages to sort out in the same breath no we are not leaving as it will probably be shelved.

Considering you have two contradictory different schools of thought on this is it any wonder to you people found your lies about the £4300 invented bullcrap.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
I'm sure that you and Baldseagull can convince each other that it will all fail.

It might not fail but its trading in a nice German Porsche for a Nissan because you really fancy taking back control of the car industry. It will work but its a downgrade that wastes a lot of money.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
First of all you think it will be 2025 at the earliest before article 50 negotiations are concluded
now you think even you are talking balls and now think it might never happen because the jocks are being jocks about independence.

is it possible you could make your mind up?,in one breath yes we are leaving but it will take ages to sort out in the same breath no we are not leaving as it will probably be shelved.

Considering you have two contradictory different schools of thought on this is it any wonder to you people found your lies about the £4300 invented bullcrap.

2025 was a joke, but it is as good a guess as any.

May said Article 50 will be a UK-wide thing and will need consent from Scotland. She knows that this gives the nationalists the ammo they need to break away. At the very least Scotland will be afforded some protections to stay within the EU.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here