Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
good 30 minute bit on the radio yesterday about Wakefield.

Why Did People Vote Leave?
Why did so many people in the UK vote to Leave the EU? David Aaronovitch talks to residents in the pro-Leave city of Wakefield and finds out from experts why personal prosperity was a poor indicator of referendum voting intention.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07k08xd

some remainers will hate it, plenty of different reasons for voting leave given .. but no racists or xenophobes found

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
You would love it to be illegal wouldn't you? Just admit that you are desperate for the UK to fail outside your beloved EU.

The legal case is far from clear and 'illegal'. This is from the BBC, a highly remain organisation:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36684876

To say that I hope that the UK suffers is insulting. To say that I fear it is reasonable. The BBC link actually lends credence to the suggestion of illegality, whilst reasonably adding that it has not been tested. Your suggestion that the BBC is a 'highly remain organisation' implies the kind of paranoia most common among Telegraph letters page writers.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Why did so many people in the UK vote to Leave the EU? David Aaronovitch talks to residents in the pro-Leave city of Wakefield and finds out from experts why personal prosperity was a poor indicator of referendum voting intention.

some remainers will hate it, plenty of different reasons for voting leave given .. but no racists or xenophobes found
Not good enough. They MUST be racists. I demand another referendum. I'm going to sign that petition.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

What you mean that no one in Wakefield said to a stranger "yep, I voted leave because I'm a bit of a racist myself'? M'mm.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
To say that I hope that the UK suffers is insulting. To say that I fear it is reasonable. The BBC link actually lends credence to the suggestion of illegality, whilst reasonably adding that it has not been tested. Your suggestion that the BBC is a 'highly remain organisation' implies the kind of paranoia most common among Telegraph letters page writers.
It seems that way from the apparent joy you express that things will be difficult all the way for Britain now. You are constantly arguing from the most pessimistic point.

If you were to be truly reasonable, you would be dispassionate and actually accept that whether you like it or not, we are in the process of leaving the EU. How exactly are you helping either yourself or your countrymen by only seeing the negative?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Which was also what Phillip Collins said in his column in The Times today.

3rd paragraph - 'I am not so mean-minded that I want the process to fail. I live in this country too and do not wish impoverishment on it just so that I can win an argument, especially when it is someone else who could carry the burden.'

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Wow! You are really in denial. May has said it, Davis has said it and Fox has said it. Controlled immigration is a key requirement of Brexit. Explicitly stated by all of them.

We probably WILL get some form of controlled immigration - but this won't necessarily be a good thing. Firstly, we will almost certainly have reduced access to the Single Market as a result. And secondly, we will almost certainly see very little change in the numbers of immigrants. The only reason immigration will go down is if our economy under-performs (which obviously is a real possibility now).

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Article here from yesterdays Telegraph on free movement, pointing out its sacrosanct status to the EU - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...sely-emotional-about-free-movement-they-wont/

It has been sacrosanct - but will it stay that way in the post-Bataclan, post-Promenade des Anglais world? It'll be interesting to monitor how the French far right reacts, and what impact this may have on the French elections (and perhaps the German elections) next year. Perhaps in 2017 the EU might not be quite so wedded to unfettered free movement. We may not be the only state seeking some sort of control over immigration (although our reasons may be slightly different).

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
It has been sacrosanct - but will it stay that way in the post-Bataclan, post-Promenade des Anglais world? It'll be interesting to monitor how the French far right reacts, and what impact this may have on the French elections (and perhaps the German elections) next year. Perhaps in 2017 the EU might not be quite so wedded to unfettered free movement. We may not be the only state seeking some sort of control over immigration (although our reasons may be slightly different).

Perhaps. We'll see what we see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here