Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I would have thought the wealthy are hit the least though.

More likely to have overseas properties and bank accounts, which have gone up in value since Brexit.

It's the poor and elderly, who spend a greater proportion of their income on higher priced food and fuel due to the drop in sterling, who are likely to suffer most, not the rich.

ironically the ones who voted out ...apparently...???

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
20160713_italy_0.jpg

The constraints of monetary union claiming another victim. It's possible Italy will have to leave the EU or be allowed access to Central EU funding to have any chance of averting the looming disaster .. perhaps we are getting out just in time.

italy , france and greece....all fuct or about to be......hmmmm

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
20160713_italy_0.jpg

The constraints of monetary union claiming another victim. It's possible Italy will have to leave the EU or be allowed access to Central EU funding to have any chance of averting the looming disaster .. perhaps we are getting out just in time.

Perhaps as they were trying to pick themselves up off the floor, we have just kicked them in the nads. This is not good news for Britain, it is more trouble, and we are heaping some of it on.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
20160713_italy_0.jpg

Won't leave the EU....but theoretically possible they could leave the Eurozone. It's a risky world out there!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Jean-Claude Juncker is facing calls to step down as European Commission President after it was revealed that he held secret meetings with Amazon officials involved in its tax avoidance strategy.

Whilst serving as the Prime Minister of Luxembourg, the Brussels bureaucrat, 61, hosted officials from the internet giant at a time when his country was offering cosy deals to big firms which let them pay little or no tax.

President of the European Commission, Jean-Claude Juncker, is to facing calls to resign following the revelation of secret meetings with Amazon tax officials
Mr Juncker, who was appointed EC President in 2014, did not disclose that he had met with four of the company’s senior tax officials in 2003, which critics have said could be evidence that he was “marketing” Luxembourg as a haven for tax avoidance.

Mr Juncker – who branded Brits “deserters” following the Brexit vote and is to play a key role in the UK’s negotiation to leave the EU – faced calls to resign following the claims.

More...https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14415...t-meetings-with-amazon-tax-officials-exposed/

yes well ...fair grounds for a sacking , never mind resign....if amazon , google , apple etc paid their fair share of income tax then the planet may be a marginally better place...but that is another issue , Junker outed as just another pork barrelling Euro fink....!!

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Good news. Hopefully a new head can talk up a remain deal.

Good news indeed, although Merkel has already lined him up for the sack so this is just another reason. I expect the new president to be under strict instructions to negotiate an exit that protects German and other EU trade interests, which will necessitate giving the UK a decent trade deal with immigration controls. Remain is a non-starter. You need to move on for your own health.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
yes well ...fair grounds for a sacking , never mind resign....if amazon , google , apple etc paid their fair share of income tax then the planet may be a marginally better place...but that is another issue , Junker outed as just another pork barrelling Euro fink....!!

I wasn't aware that companies paid income tax

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Good news indeed, although Merkel has already lined him up for the sack so this is just another reason. I expect the new president to be under strict instructions to negotiate an exit that protects German and other EU trade interests, which will necessitate giving the UK a decent trade deal with immigration controls. Remain is a non-starter. You need to move on for your own health.

Obviously our trade deals would be even more decent with free movement and I wonder if the appointment of Boris - who didn't seem to have an immigration problem on 24 June - might make some sort of Norway deal a little more likely. I don't know how flexible Davis is on the specific question of free movement but Gove, who was almost religeously-anti, is out of the loop.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Obviously our trade deals would be even more decent with free movement and I wonder if the appointment of Boris - who didn't seem to have an immigration problem on 24 June - might make some sort of Norway deal a little more likely. I don't know how flexible Davis is on the specific question of free movement but Gove, who was almost religeously-anti, is out of the loop.

This is Davis's position

e364d8eb86e8e735a09515a988a22f45.png

aee7babda1628723ffccd5dcdbc696ab.png

Sent from your mum using Tapatalk

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
This is Davis's position

e364d8eb86e8e735a09515a988a22f45.png

aee7babda1628723ffccd5dcdbc696ab.png

Sent from your mum using Tapatalk
Thanks for this. Ver interesting. I love the suggestion of £2bn going to support our indigenous motor industry. Morgan Cars will be over the moon.
If he's piling levies of that scale on EU cars coming to the UK then obviously the EU will return the complement. How long before Bentley manufacture moves to Dresden

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Thanks for this. Ver interesting. I love the suggestion of £2bn going to support our indigenous motor industry. Morgan Cars will be over the moon.
If he's piling levies of that scale on EU cars coming to the UK then obviously the EU will return the complement. How long before Bentley manufacture moves to Dresden

the suggestion is to impose reciprocal tariffs if they are imposed on us. the default position is to have no tariffs, if the EU doesnt accept that, then similar tariffs would apply. the demand for BMW, VW, Fiats, Renaults would still be high and the tariffs from that would generate a lot of tax for the UK. i dont expect the forecast to be accurate they never are (self-defeating, for a start, the tariff would rise the price, so lower demand so lower excise revenues.) but there's going to be revenue raised. but the objective of the leave, and that stated there, is to negotiate tariff free trade.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
the suggestion is to impose reciprocal tariffs if they are imposed on us. the default position is to have no tariffs, if the EU doesnt accept that, then similar tariffs would apply. the demand for BMW, VW, Fiats, Renaults would still be high and the tariffs from that would generate a lot of tax for the UK. i dont expect the forecast to be accurate they never are (self-defeating, for a start, the tariff would rise the price, so lower demand so lower excise revenues.) but there's going to be revenue raised. but the objective of the leave, and that stated there, is to negotiate tariff free trade.

I think everyone is aiming for free trade of goods, but far more importantly services, as that is 77% of the UK economy. The sticking point will be if Davis can achieve that without free movement of labour, which the EU has not conceded in the past.

There are 51 trade deals that the EU has with other countries/blocs. They have taken an average of 7 years to negotiate, some considerably longer. In theory the UK should be able to negotiate them a bit quicker if the other countries simply want to Tippex out EU, and replace that with UK, in the documentation. The article I referred to above goes on to say

FT Brexit.PNG

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

He is against Free Movement
Gave a detailed speech back in Feb about his plans for leaving the EU

http://www.daviddavismp.com/david-davis-speech-on-brexit-at-the-institute-of-chartered-engineers/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here