Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The public endorsing Brexit does not mean Brexit becomes a good idea overnight.

I agree it will take longer than that..

Still if the country is in ruin 10 years from now i would be very surprised..

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The issues are still relevant. A Tory wouldn't suddenly support Labour if Labour happened to win the election. The public endorsing Brexit does not mean Brexit becomes a good idea overnight. It was, is and will remain an awful idea with zero practical benefits.

the issues of why exactly individuals voted are not really relevant as we have now voted to Leave.Interesting maybe but relevant not so much.
the specific issues surrounding membership of The EU may well become relevant again in the future if someone campaigns to rejoin The EU and hold another referendum after winning an election.
The earliest chances of that look likely to be 2025 at the very earliest but even then anyone proposing to join the EU will face a near impossible task

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Belittling all Brexiters must be your sole aim in life now. You might just find a inner calmness if you just accept the result rather than picking at it like an open sore. You are sounding very poisonous so maybe you have picked too much.
They can't accept it.... they will bleat like the SNP for a decade about ref v.2... eventually forgetting about it when David Miliband saves labour and returns to lead them into govt in 2025 or later.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
lets face it there are some remainers on here who simply wont calm down until they have interrogated every single leave voter and found out specifically why it was that person voted.
this thread is becoming very dull with the remainers simply wanting to continue pre referendum debate subjects.

About time we moved forward like everyone else and had a brexit negotiations thread :O

It is hard to move forward when your country is about to take a huge backwards step.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
£ is weak because the Carney said he'd lower interest rates, which was his intent when he said so. he wants to import inflation and promote exports.

Strange, because interest rate cuts have been announced before, but only this time have we had the biggest one day drop in value against the dollar, ever.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Strange, because interest rate cuts have been announced before, but only this time have we had the biggest one day drop in value against the dollar, ever.

yes, and interest rate cuts impact on £, and rises push £ up (not always as much as hoped). im not suggesting the Brexit event hasnt had an effect, im only saying there is another factor in play, keeping the value down in addition to that.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Not yet, when article 50 goes in, then I will have to. Until then we have not left, we just have our hand on the door.

why wait until the inevitable before moving forward?
surely its in everyones best interests to think positive now and move forward now.
no point in being billy no mates slacking off at the back and not joining in just because you are grumpy.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The issues are still relevant. A Tory wouldn't suddenly support Labour if Labour happened to win the election. The public endorsing Brexit does not mean Brexit becomes a good idea overnight. It was, is and will remain an awful idea with zero practical benefits.

Zero practical benefits for whom? Those with wealthy lifestyles seem to be kicking off the most. So I can only presume it's them

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Zero practical benefits for whom? Those with wealthy lifestyles seem to be kicking off the most. So I can only presume it's them

For anyone, is my opinion. Apart from Boris Johnson, Liam Fox and David Davis. Particularly hard hit will be the poorest and the working classes. The rich are rich and can insulate themselves. Price rises, a weak economy, a lack of investment and a dimming of European horizons will impact the life chances of those struggling most.

yes, and interest rate cuts impact on £, and rises push £ up (not always as much as hoped). im not suggesting the Brexit event hasnt had an effect, im only saying there is another factor in play, keeping the value down in addition to that.
I was watching CNN last night and a trader on Wall Street said that the markets are over Brexit now. It is almost irrelevant. The markets are all ready looking to the next potential disaster which is the forthcoming US elections.

Fickle bunch these traders.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Belittling all Brexiters must be your sole aim in life now. You might just find a inner calmness if you just accept the result rather than picking at it like an open sore. You are sounding very poisonous so maybe you have picked too much.

No poison. Just sadness.

The spin worked.
The Nigels won.
The numbers are all that matters.

I see what you're saying.

Perhaps you're right.

But note that I have never belittled all Brexiters. You made that up. Whatever.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I would have thought the wealthy are hit the least though.

More likely to have overseas properties and bank accounts, which have gone up in value since Brexit.

It's the poor and elderly, who spend a greater proportion of their income on higher priced food and fuel due to the drop in sterling, who are likely to suffer most, not the rich.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I was watching CNN last night and a trader on Wall Street said that the markets are over Brexit now. It is almost irrelevant. The markets are all ready looking to the next potential disaster which is the forthcoming US elections.

Agree that the traders have priced in Brexit based on something similar to the Norwegian model, of free access and free movement of labour.

There's a far bigger disaster to deal with prior to the US election, and it's taking place in Italy.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Jean-Claude Juncker is facing calls to step down as European Commission President after it was revealed that he held secret meetings with Amazon officials involved in its tax avoidance strategy.

Whilst serving as the Prime Minister of Luxembourg, the Brussels bureaucrat, 61, hosted officials from the internet giant at a time when his country was offering cosy deals to big firms which let them pay little or no tax.

President of the European Commission, Jean-Claude Juncker, is to facing calls to resign following the revelation of secret meetings with Amazon tax officials
Mr Juncker, who was appointed EC President in 2014, did not disclose that he had met with four of the company’s senior tax officials in 2003, which critics have said could be evidence that he was “marketing” Luxembourg as a haven for tax avoidance.

Mr Juncker – who branded Brits “deserters” following the Brexit vote and is to play a key role in the UK’s negotiation to leave the EU – faced calls to resign following the claims.

More...https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14415...t-meetings-with-amazon-tax-officials-exposed/

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Jean-Claude Juncker is facing calls to step down as European Commission President after it was revealed that he held secret meetings with Amazon officials involved in its tax avoidance strategy.

Whilst serving as the Prime Minister of Luxembourg, the Brussels bureaucrat, 61, hosted officials from the internet giant at a time when his country was offering cosy deals to big firms which let them pay little or no tax.

President of the European Commission, Jean-Claude Juncker, is to facing calls to resign following the revelation of secret meetings with Amazon tax officials
Mr Juncker, who was appointed EC President in 2014, did not disclose that he had met with four of the company’s senior tax officials in 2003, which critics have said could be evidence that he was “marketing” Luxembourg as a haven for tax avoidance.

Mr Juncker – who branded Brits “deserters” following the Brexit vote and is to play a key role in the UK’s negotiation to leave the EU – faced calls to resign following the claims.

More...https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14415...t-meetings-with-amazon-tax-officials-exposed/

Good news. Hopefully a new head can talk up a remain deal.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The Italian Banking Crisis (In 1 Simple 'Death Cross' Chart)

Agree that the traders have priced in Brexit based on something similar to the Norwegian model, of free access and free movement of labour.

There's a far bigger disaster to deal with prior to the US election, and it's taking place in Italy.

20160713_italy_0.jpg

The constraints of monetary union claiming another victim. It's possible Italy will have to leave the EU or be allowed access to Central EU funding to have any chance of averting the looming disaster .. perhaps we are getting out just in time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here