Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
It's not a crime to not have heard of him. I know it's trendy amongst Brexit folk to big up the "university of life, common man" archetype but Chomsky really has had an impact on everybody's life in many parts of the globe, including yours. I know it may not be appealing to your good self but I make a point, where possible, of knowing a little something about the people that influence my life. He has been influencing politicians, business men, philanthropists and movers and shakers in general for over 70 years. He's worth a look at if you ever get a minute.

Yeah not mocking or anything but genuinely never heard of him as my wife who went to private school

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What are his reasons for advocating the UK stays in the EU? I see that he has no economics qualifications or experience noted in his profile.

While not ignoring the economic implications, good or bad, leaving the EU has many, many, many more components and implications beyond financial and economic considerations. Considerations that Chomsky would doubtless be qualified to advise or opine on.

I don't actually know what Chomsky has said or feels about leaving the EU. I don't keep much of a track of him, I rarely agree with him but his influence is undeniable in many areas of politics and I happen to think he's a person people should have at least a cursory knowledge of.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
It all comes down to investment if we want our country to thrive and prospher, we need to build more, pump more into the NHS, pump more into everything instead of lining the pockets of the filthy rich. For example the trains in Japan are like rockets nowadays, meanwhile back in blighty ours are f×××ed as well as most things.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
You could say he has something of a profile. One of the 20th/21st centuries most respected logicians among many, many other strings to his bow.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noam_Chomsky

He is against Brexit because: -
'UK government is at least as neoliberal as the EU. For all its flaws, the EU offers some kind of independent and (by comparative standards) constructive option in world affairs, and could do more. With Brexit, it will be weaker, and Britain will be even more a colony of the US. Britain will also lose the advantages of closer interactions with (relatively) civilized Europe.'

So, basically, he doesn't want the UK to grow closer to the US because of the US's "economic colonisation" foreign policy.

In my view, this is a philosophical argument and not based on economics, immigration, sovereignty etc.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
He is against Brexit because: -
'UK government is at least as neoliberal as the EU. For all its flaws, the EU offers some kind of independent and (by comparative standards) constructive option in world affairs, and could do more. With Brexit, it will be weaker, and Britain will be even more a colony of the US. Britain will also lose the advantages of closer interactions with (relatively) civilized Europe.'

So, basically, he doesn't want the UK to grow closer to the US because of the US's "economic colonisation" foreign policy.

In my view, this is a philosophical argument and not based on economics, immigration, sovereignty etc.

I think you're right. I didn't bring the man up in this thread, I merely posted who he is. I happen to think philosophy has a place in the (now pointless) debate but I've not heard one I agree with as yet.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Here is Tariq Ali's view: -
Journalist and filmmaker Tariq Ali called the EU a “machine for neoliberal capitalism” and said a U.K. departure would not result in economic chaos.

Speaking to The Nation, he noted that the bloc is working "extraordinarily" well from the perspective of global financial capitalism.

Blaming the EU for the rise of the far right, he branded the recent refugee deal with Turkey as "squalid" and pointed to the multiple crisis' rocking the continent, from some of the biggest strikes in France since 1968 to German hegemony over the bloc.

"I was undecided at the beginning of the campaign, but now I believe a tactical vote to get out would benefit all and could permit even a mildly radical Labour government to carry out its policies," he concluded.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Here is Julian Assange's view: -
“The U.K. is bad for the EU but also the EU is bad for the U.K.," WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange told ITV in June.

"It permits a lack of democratic accountability in this country by permitting successive governments in this country to simply say ‘oh, we are forced into doing things because of EU legislation’ when it is precisely these governments that have been behind the EU legislation in the first place," he added.

Speaking about the David Cameron government, Assange accused the administration of "laundering" decisions to the EU then claiming it can't do anything about it.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The Trident subs were built there and they are overhauled at Devonport. I guess either location would be an option.

There would be the so called safety aspects to consider and i am sure Plymouth would be of more value than Blackpool were anything to go wrong..... Sorry Blackpool.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Meanwhile, the rest of the country is beginning to acknowledge that immigration is a legit concern for much on the UK. Whether someone is out of a job or fleeing conflicts, i don't think your mock tone is winning anyone over.

I was talking to a friend in Burgess Hill over the weekend. She had voted Remain but told me that most of her family had voted Leave. "It's them immigrants" was what I was told. Knowing her family, I doubt that many of them have ever really met an EU immigrant. I sometimes wonder how many Leave voters in Burgess Hill, or on here, have actually had their lives affected by EU immigrants. Some people have for sure and with a Lincolnshire background I know where there are problems. But generally? A lot of it, I guess, is papertalk - the Express used 'migrants' in its front page lead headline 35 times in the build up to the referendum. Old-fashioned word perhaps, but it makes me ashamed. (And Nigel's poster? Even Gove said it made him shudder.)

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
No, I don't make any new investments. I draw income from my existing investments. You don't understand, do you? The report was produced to determine the likely impact of Brexit so that the fund managers could make appropriate investment decisions in the event of a Brexit vote.

No, you don't understand. Fund managers do not publish the analysis upon which they act.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
The f**king brexiteers. They f**k up the country and then f**k off to whereever they came from. The dynamic trio, Farage, Leadsom and Gove have fallen over like the d**ks they are. It really is appalling, they promise the sunny uplands and then run like the wind when it becomes real. S**m

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The f**king brexiteers. They f**k up the country and then f**k off to whereever they came from. The dynamic trio, Farage, Leadsom and Gove have fallen over like the d**ks they are. It really is appalling, they promise the sunny uplands and then run like the wind when it becomes real. S**m

Would you like a glass of something to wash down that bile :lolol: Bitter maybe?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here