Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
In case anyone fancies a bit of telly tonight there's an interesting-looking programme at 9 on BBC2 about those dreadful people Nigel told us were coming our way. How lucky we were to have him.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
For all of those Brexiters who voted leave to 'get our country back' (apparently the main reason for voting to leave) what do you make of Noam Chomsky advocating the UK to remain within the EU?

Bearing in mind this is a man who has long campaigned tirelessly for power to be in the hands of the ordinary man and not in political cartels and is a staunch supporter of democracy and democratic accountability?

Then i find it conflicting and confusing..

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
In case anyone fancies a bit of telly tonight there's an interesting-looking programme at 9 on BBC2 about those dreadful people Nigel told us were coming our way. How lucky we were to have him.

Meanwhile, the rest of the country is beginning to acknowledge that immigration is a legit concern for much on the UK. Whether someone is out of a job or fleeing conflicts, i don't think your mock tone is winning anyone over.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Those calling for a GE.

They are all very desperate.....did we call for an election when Brown took over from Blair...NO

Edit: it must be noted that we got our way and voted him out when the time came but that's the thing with us Brexiteers.....we get on with it without looking for every loophole under the SUN..

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
For all of those Brexiters who voted leave to 'get our country back' (apparently the main reason for voting to leave) what do you make of Noam Chomsky advocating the UK to remain within the EU?

Bearing in mind this is a man who has long campaigned tirelessly for power to be in the hands of the ordinary man and not in political cartels and is a staunch supporter of democracy and democratic accountability?[/QUOTE

Am I meant to have heard of him. Means nothing to me

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

Bearing in mind this is a man who has long campaigned tirelessly for power to be in the hands of the ordinary man and not in political cartels and is a staunch supporter of democracy and democratic accountability?[/QUOTE

I think he was going out with the Cheeky Girl.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

You could say he has something of a profile. One of the 20th/21st centuries most respected logicians among many, many other strings to his bow.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noam_Chomsky

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Theresa May did though. She accused Brown 'of running scared of the people’s verdict'.

She was right and fair play to her.....

He was a Scot after all.........he was destined to go.....

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Asked but never succeeded.

True. I can see why some people might accuse Mrs May of being a hypocrite now though or perhaps shes just running scared of what verdict the people might give in a snap general election. A most unlikely event though, but that's the trouble with politics, you never know. Harold Macmillan's greatest fear was - 'Events, dear boy, events' for a reason.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
True. I can see why some people might accuse Mrs May of being a hypocrite now though or perhaps shes just running scared of what verdict the people might give in a snap general election. A most unlikely event though, but that's the trouble with politics, you never know. Harold Macmillan's greatest fear was - 'Events, dear boy, events' for a reason.

I doubt she's scared. There's no competition. But it's a nonsense idea, one year after a general election.

And let's not forget. Brown had no competition, he was automatically appointed. May has gone through a proper leadership process.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
She was right and fair play to her.....

He was a Scot after all.........he was destined to go.....

All Scots are at some point I feel. If Mrs May wants to renew Trident she's going to need a new base for it in Cumbria.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Sorry still means nothing. Was it a special uni course or something.

It's not a crime to not have heard of him. I know it's trendy amongst Brexit folk to big up the "university of life, common man" archetype but Chomsky really has had an impact on everybody's life in many parts of the globe, including yours. I know it may not be appealing to your good self but I make a point, where possible, of knowing a little something about the people that influence my life. He has been influencing politicians, business men, philanthropists and movers and shakers in general for over 70 years. He's worth a look at if you ever get a minute.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here