Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Just come back from the states where the general consensus seems to be why the **** would you vote against your own interests in this way.

Most Americans don’t know what EU membership entails. This is not a failing, just a simple fact of life, The EU is not high up on anyones list of things to informed about.
Most believe it’s a simple trading pact, you can see this group think on the mostly liberal media which filters down as the main information for the average joe.

I had some yanks staying with me during the last weeks up to the referendum. They began with the same view that they thought it was none too bright breaking free from our nearest neighbours.
When they learned over the time they were here as they watched the debates that being in the club meant paying a fee,having some of your laws made by people you don’t elect,that you are not permitted to control the numbers of EU people coming in and the supreme court of the land is not always supreme,they all thought it was a crap club to be in
asked if they would join such a club themselves with these terms the answer was never ever.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
A 50% increase in hate crime since the result and uncertainty about their future right to reside here once the two year period following Article 50 expires?

Sent from your mum using Tapatalk

Don’t buy it myself
It was implied EU nationals would all be going home.
I really don’t think they will especially as any future rights (including our own living in europe) will need to be made on a reciprocal basis with The EU in the negotiations. Cant see them all being wilfully over difficult towards their own citizens.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
As a pro-Remainer I'd quite like Leadsom to win because it will almost inevitably lead to a general election. I don't think she will though, even if she does nothing to annoy them - and her unpleasant attack on May's childlessness wasn't a good start on that front. Like their Labour counterparts, Tory party members are further from the centre than their MPs (and the voters), but unlike Corbyn's warriors they have a strong sense of survival and will, even if holding their noses, vote for the one they think will succeed and that is Theresa May.

I hope I'm wrong though.

(It is interesting to consider what has happened to the leading right wing Brexiters since 23 June. Boris has been outed as someone who didn't much believe in Brexit anyway and has been evaporated. Gove stabbed him and was ditched by the party. Farage has stepped down to concentrate on making self-serving speeches in Brussels and Leadsom is standing for the leadership on a fake-your-own-CV ticket whilst making horrendous personal attacks on her erstwhile colleague. Poor old Britain.)

Yep,and the leading remainer David Cameron has quit too. You know the one who actually called the referendum. Then legged it when he didn't get his way.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I have little view about Leadsome, given that 2 weeks ago I'd never heard of her. However, it looks to me like she was goaded into her comments about the childless May, by relentless questions along the same lines. Then her comment has been captured out of context and turned into a toxic sound bite. Perhaps it could be argued that it is her belief anyway, and goading the comment out of her was just clever journalism. And the fact she is so outraged just speaks to her naivety and inexperience. Nevertheless, as I mentioned before, and I will rephrase it, if I were a tory memeber, and hiven my age which, together, would meake me a Brexitter, I would feel uncomfortable about voting for a remainer as my leader and would vote Leadbelly. We shall see . . . .

Exactly how I read it. If anyone had cared to notice the establishment, be it Tory or media have engaged in a none to subtle effort to make sure May wins. Lose the referendum but make sure their man/woman is in place to secure their best interests.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Exactly how I read it. If anyone had cared to notice the establishment, be it Tory or media have engaged in a none to subtle effort to make sure May wins. Lose the referendum but make sure their man/woman is in place to secure their best interests.

Correct.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Then Conservative have LOST my vote.

Will not vote Labour and see no point in voting for Liberal it really only leaves me two options-

Become disillusioned with the electoral process in this country OR vote for UKIP.

Teresa May has not instilled me with confidence and i see her as another David Cameron

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Just thought I'd report my experience. People would recognise the accent, bring up brexit and quite often joke about how it was their job to vote like idiots. I'm not saying they're right or wrong just that seems to be the prevailing view.

I get asked about it all the time here is oz, people can't understand why the public voted as they did.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Then Conservative have LOST my vote.

Will not vote Labour and see no point in voting for Liberal it really only leaves me two options-

Become disillusioned with the electoral process in this country OR vote for UKIP.

Teresa May has not instilled me with confidence and i see her as another David Cameron

Understandable, I will wait to see what a May Government can deliver but think it will be a return to the same old, same old vested interests.

The good thing is we have removed the EU element so have the capability to directly remove from power those that fail to deliver.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
I get asked about it all the time here is oz, people can't understand why the public voted as they did.

Was in France when the results came in, majority reaction was surprise but also hurt. I was frankly ashamed trying to explain it to people I met.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Rehashing a Daniel Hannan point. I'm surprised the Australians haven't applied to join a Sino project for political/trade customs union as they are just a minor, insignificant island nation that are not big enough to survive on their own... diplomatically, economically, militarily.

:wink:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Rehashing a Daniel Hannan point.

My God man. You're still championing the views of a politician who is only just lower in the "completely discredited for lying" stakes than Johnson and Gove. I'll give you points for being brazen but you're taking it to Trump levels.

Oh, that's how it's all supposed to work now isn't it. I forgot.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Of course they don’t understand why the majority of voters here voted to Leave.
The are in OZ and not living here as part of the EU project.
Stands to reason those in OZ will have much less information and be less knowledgeable and less informed about the EU compared to people here who have had information from all sides and on a wide range of subjects front and centre for months now.

Was in France when the results came in, majority reaction was surprise but also hurt. I was frankly ashamed trying to explain it to people I met.

disappointed i could understand
ashamed at a democratic process outcome is definitely "pisse son lit"

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
My God man. You're still championing the views of a politician who is only just lower in the "completely discredited for lying" stakes than Johnson and Gove. I'll give you points for being brazen but you're taking it to Trump levels.

Oh, that's how it's all supposed to work now isn't it. I forgot.

Despite some obvious flaws which all politicians have including many remainers he makes many good points.

Especially for you ..

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

As I said before I think their best interests may be served by a Loathsome victory, which would force a number of issues inside the Tory Party. If this was combined with Labour Party members backing Corbyn in a vote we could be in for interesting times.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

I am surprised the majority reaction included hurt. If any nation in Europe understands the value of retaining national identity/sovereignty as much as us it's the French but for historical reasons they put containing German power/ influence as a marginally higher priority.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Despite some obvious flaws which all politicians have including many remainers he makes many good points.

Especially for you ..

He's very good at making a speech, like lots of politicians. Doesn't make him right. Massive fact holes in that one obviously, but you know that. 😉

His ridiculous attempts at backtracking on Twitter after the result were a sight to behold.

The man is an arse.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
As I said before I think their best interests may be served by a Loathsome victory, which would force a number of issues inside the Tory Party. If this was combined with Labour Party members backing Corbyn in a vote we could be in for interesting times.

If that were true they would be backing her and running a smear campaign undermining May. The establishment backed Remain and backs May which should tell us where they think their best interests lie.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
I am surprised the majority reaction included hurt. If any nation in Europe understands the value of retaining national identity/sovereignty as much as us it's the French but for historical reasons they put containing German power/ influence as a marginally higher priority.

I honestly think they felt like we were turning our backs on them. It wasn't the UK they thought they knew.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Do you often feel the need to be ashamed about things for which there is no need for shame at all?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here