Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I will try to oblige, i daresay you will not like the source of the link, but i am afraid like everybody else i put up links that i mostly agree with.

And omit the detail that is contrary to your view. Even where a 'snippet' is 7/8ths of the article

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The Times is a little more balanced with greater editorial independence and far less sensationalist than Fox News. Think of Sky News v The Daily Star.

Yes I know I was being facetious. Just making the point (badly) that Murdoch news outlets often make editorial decisions reflecting their readership/viewers opinions more than simply do the bidding of the Dark Lord.

I think Fox news were pleased because it gave them and their viewing demographic some small hope that despite all predictions and polling evidence the front runner doesn't always win.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Not surprised seeing some of the cringe-worthy patronising coverage on the late night shows (some hosted by Brits) which reflect a rather particular democrat/liberal world view. I note the decision went down well on Fox News though ...

I think like a lot of brits you have a warped view of how influential things like Fox news and late night talk shows are. Most in the us will be getting there coverage of the issue through more maintream sources on TV and in print and the internet. Fox news is loud and entertaining in a car crash kind of way, but it's largely an echo chamber for the more extreme right

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Seems a lot of posters on here did not get the E Mail, judging by the amount of posters bleating and expecting another referendum.

It was clear that the petition would not achieve a second referendum from the start, but it is useful to show that there is a large number of people with strong feeling that we are making a mistake.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
So we wait for the next Tory government to be formed to stem the flow of migrants and pull the country out of the shit and improve things for both those living in poverty and the working man? I wish i had your confidence, I really do.

Out of interest are you happy with the way things are going thus far?

The Times was surprisingly even handed in its coverage for most of the campaign but did break cover near the end with an editorial beseeching " Brexit "
Has Mr Murdoch decided who he wants as PM yet as I have recently stopped buying The Times ....

Times was for Remain. Sunday Times was for Brexit. So I think they had all bases covered.

The Sunday Times call was for Leave as a tactical vote for reform of the EU. Recognising nothing would change if the vote was for Remain.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I think like a lot of brits you have a warped view of how influential things like Fox news and late night talk shows are. Most in the us will be getting there coverage of the issue through more maintream sources on TV and in print and the internet. Fox news is loud and entertaining in a car crash kind of way, but it's largely an echo chamber for the more extreme right

Fair comment, much like people here then.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I suspect he'll be disappointed - most of the Tory members are very pro-brexit. As long as Leadsom does nothing to annoy them I think she'll win.

As a pro-Remainer I'd quite like Leadsom to win because it will almost inevitably lead to a general election. I don't think she will though, even if she does nothing to annoy them - and her unpleasant attack on May's childlessness wasn't a good start on that front. Like their Labour counterparts, Tory party members are further from the centre than their MPs (and the voters), but unlike Corbyn's warriors they have a strong sense of survival and will, even if holding their noses, vote for the one they think will succeed and that is Theresa May.

I hope I'm wrong though.

(It is interesting to consider what has happened to the leading right wing Brexiters since 23 June. Boris has been outed as someone who didn't much believe in Brexit anyway and has been evaporated. Gove stabbed him and was ditched by the party. Farage has stepped down to concentrate on making self-serving speeches in Brussels and Leadsom is standing for the leadership on a fake-your-own-CV ticket whilst making horrendous personal attacks on her erstwhile colleague. Poor old Britain.)

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
I suspect he'll be disappointed - most of the Tory members are very pro-brexit. As long as Leadsom does nothing to annoy them I think she'll win.

I'm not so sure about that, the media will play a role in this, the Times got the ball rolling nicely this morning and Paul Dacre at the Mail is pro May as well, it cannot be underestimated what influence they have in all off this.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
As a pro-Remainer I'd quite like Leadsom to win because it will almost inevitably lead to a general election. I don't think she will though, even if she does nothing to annoy them - and her unpleasant attack on May's childlessness wasn't a good start on that front. Like their Labour counterparts, Tory party members are further from the centre than their MPs (and the voters), but unlike Corbyn's warriors they have a strong sense of survival and will, even if holding their noses, vote for the one they think will succeed and that is Theresa May.

I hope I'm wrong though.

(It is interesting to consider what has happened to the leading right wing Brexiters since 23 June. Boris has been outed as someone who didn't much believe in Brexit anyway and has been evaporated. Gove stabbed him and was ditched by the party. Farage has stepped down to concentrate on making self-serving speeches in Brussels and Leadsom is standing for the leadership on a fake-your-own-CV ticket whilst making horrendous personal attacks on her erstwhile colleague. Poor old Britain.)

Got the country back though.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
And omit the detail that is contrary to your view. Even where a 'snippet' is 7/8ths of the article

Oh so sorry, i did not realise i could not choose whether i wanted to put up "snippets" or the full article, i did not realise that you should choose for me and give the nod on what i post.
Seeing as you might need reminding of what i said, i stated that rather than put the whole article up i add the LINK at the bottom so that those that choose to read the whole piece can.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm not so sure about that, the media will play a role in this, the Times got the ball rolling nicely this morning and Paul Dacre at the Mail is pro May as well, it cannot be underestimated what influence they have in all off this.

I have little view about Leadsome, given that 2 weeks ago I'd never heard of her. However, it looks to me like she was goaded into her comments about the childless May, by relentless questions along the same lines. Then her comment has been captured out of context and turned into a toxic sound bite. Perhaps it could be argued that it is her belief anyway, and goading the comment out of her was just clever journalism. And the fact she is so outraged just speaks to her naivety and inexperience. Nevertheless, as I mentioned before, and I will rephrase it, if I were a tory memeber, and hiven my age which, together, would meake me a Brexitter, I would feel uncomfortable about voting for a remainer as my leader and would vote Leadbelly. We shall see . . . .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here