Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
TBH it is your generation that should be voting, you have already stated that you can not afford to get a property, same as my son's. Has being a member of the EU with mass immigration helped your plight..I don't think so.

It's truly remarkable that people still believe immigration causes these problems. Property prices are kept artificially high by wealthy people and governments not investing in affordable housing in order to boost the value of their own portfolios.

I wonder who you will have left to blame in a couple of years and it becomes apparent that it wasn't immigrants causing the woes in this country but rich, white bankers.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
It could have something to do with the fact that London has ALL the qualities of a top financial centre, whereas other EU states are still lacking. These, according to Z/Yen (which creates a well-respected financial centre index) are “English-language facility, favourable regulatory environment, efficient transport infrastructure, office availability and a welcoming attitude to foreign workforce.”

Lets be honest, London also has a banking workforce that is willing to work 60+ hours a week in pursuit of £. With lunch at the desk.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
70'000 + jobs were created in the North of England through between 2009 and 2014 directly from schemes and training funded by the EU. Funds that would never have reached these places were it not for our membership of the EU. Funds that will now be gone forever.

The remain campaign failed to explain this fact and others like it to the voters and failed to inform people that a vote to leave is a vote to end funding.

I read in The Times last week exactly the same scenario in Cornwall with it's EU social grant funding. Remain did not explain this fact to the Cornish electorate. Westminster sees Cornwall as merely 6 constituencies, only important at General Election time with a small population of only 500,000, whereas The EU just sees it as a deprived region. The opinion was this money will never be replaced.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I read in The Times last week exactly the same scenario in Cornwall with it's EU social grant funding. Remain did not explain this fact to the Cornish electorate. Westminster sees Cornwall as merely 6 constituencies, only important at General Election time with a small population of only 500,000, whereas The EU just sees it as a deprived region. The opinion was this money will never be replaced.

Good

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I thought you brexiters didn't value the opinions of experts? Or do they only count when they fit with your view?

That's an ongoing misrepresentation of many Brexiteers opinion unfortunately. They don't value the opinions of some experts re their predictions and rightly so because they are generally piss poor.

The main example being economists ability to forecast accurately especially in the medium long term. A couple of people have mentioned they are as accurate as weather forecasters as some sort of defence .....

Weather experts are saying that Britain could just be on the way to having its hottest summer in 40 years.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/london-out...s-towards-its-hottest-summer-40-years-1558812

.... indeed.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
That's an ongoing misrepresentation of many Brexiteers opinion unfortunately. They don't value the opinions of some experts re their predictions and rightly so because they are generally piss poor.

The main example being economists ability to forecast accurately especially in the medium long term. A couple of people have mentioned they are as accurate as weather forecasters as some sort of defence .....

Weather experts are saying that Britain could just be on the way to having its hottest summer in 40 years.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/london-out...s-towards-its-hottest-summer-40-years-1558812

.... indeed.

:facepalm: JC honestly I thought the 90%-of-economists-are-wrong-cos-their-mates-are-wrong-all-the-time was an unbalanced sidestep to avoid listening to expert advice. Even after the result you persist with the idea that collectively economists are about as useful as the fortune teller underneath the pier. ???

5ways

Sep 18, 2012

The ability to get people to vote against their interests depended on both staggering lies from Leave and staggering incompetence from Remain. Incredible really.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Exactly. Some on here won't address the posts with actual stone cold figures and facts but instead prefer to bury their heads in the sand and say let's see what happens. For a start we ARE seeing what happens and it is not good. Any way you cut it. Second, no, I don't believe such a far reaching and long lasting decision should be left to see what happens . I don't think it should have been put to the public vote, most of the public are too stupid to be handed this decision. As has been demonstrated.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
:facepalm: JC honestly I thought the 90%-of-economists-are-wrong-cos-their-mates-are-wrong-all-the-time was an unbalanced sidestep to avoid listening to expert advice. Even after the result you persist with the idea that collectively economists are about as useful as the fortune teller underneath the pier. ???

doesnt matter what people persist with after the result.
The result is in.

Britain will be leaving The European Union

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
The most stark example was Wales where some of the most deprived regions in receipt of massive EU funding voted 70-30 to leave.

Comically A Welsh Assembly representative was then interviewed on the day of the result stating that the Barnes formula would have to be rethought to give Wales a greater share to make up. It didnt seem to occur to them that they had just enabled a right wing goverment to swing further to the right. If you think its unfair that the UK pays more than its share to the EU would the parallels to the Barnes formula not be obvious?

People who misguidedly thought they had nothing to lose were very happy to vote leave e.g. unemployed, retired, Welsh valleys etc all approx 70-30, they may all get a rude awakening.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Welcome back ... I was beginning to fear the worst. :bigwave:

Absolutely, they have very similar track records re forecasting the future.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Do any Brexiteers have any idea how the funding to socially deprived areas with an emphasis on levelling out wealth disparity will be replaced?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The most stark example was Wales where some of the most deprived regions in receipt of massive EU funding voted 70-30 to leave.

Comically A Welsh Assembly representative was then interviewed on the day of the result stating that the Barnes formula would have to be rethought to give Wales a greater share to make up. It didnt seem to occur to them that they had just enabled a right wing goverment to swing further to the right. If you think its unfair that the UK pays more than its share to the EU would the parallels to the Barnes formula not be obvious?

People who misguidedly thought they had nothing to lose were very happy to vote leave e.g. unemployed, retired, Welsh valleys etc all approx 70-30, they may all get a rude awakening.

This. This in spades. So , so much that leave voters just did not bother to think of or research. The naïveté of leave voters is genuinely heartbreaking.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
doesnt matter what people persist with after the result.
The result is in.

Britain will be leaving The European Union

Yes exactly. Say any lie, make any promise. Nothing matters if you win. See Farage, Boris scurrying off after the damaging is done. Leave the remainers to sort it out. Thanks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here