Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It is the defeatest attitude we have around manufacturing, that we can no longer compete is what gets on my nerves.

I hope that now changes as we realise over the coming years new emerging global markets that were closed being in the EU, i really hope the government of the day will realise this new opportunity and train the young and think about apprenticeships in your skills.
If we lack the people to train the youngsters in these skills bring the teachers in from abroad.....this is what controlled immigration should be doing when it works.

unfortunately there are far too many who scream xenophobe or racist and dont want this system......makes me despair at the lack of their forward thinking

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Basically what we have here is every time there's a referendum or general election, millions of gullible old people, full of hope, go out and vote, and then none of the promises are seen through, you'd think people would've learnt by now..

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Basically what we have here is every time there's a referendum or general election, millions of gullible old people, full of hope, go out and vote, and then none of the promises are seen through, you'd think people would've learnt by now..

So what is the answer. A referendum was only called because of pressure from voters. To do nothing means you accept and treated with contempt.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

what really happened was millions of gullible young people like you were convinced by your type of rhetoric that voting was daft.
So they didnt vote and made no impact on anything.....

basically the ones that didnt vote dont exist.
their opinions on anything are meaningless........but thats what you wanted.....so win win for you.

why are you here again?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
what really happened was millions of gullible young people like you were convinced by your type of rhetoric that voting was daft.
So they didnt vote and made no impact on anything.....

basically the ones that didnt vote dont exist.
their opinions on anything are meaningless........but thats what you wanted.....so win win for you.

why are you here again?
Ha that's so funny, you think the people that do vote exist[emoji23] you're opinion means less if anything.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
So what is the answer. A referendum was only called because of pressure from voters. To do nothing means you accept and treated with contempt.
The answer is to tackle corruption, which will never happen, so I guess you're right, just put up and shut up, or smash the place up.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Ha that's so funny, you think the people that do vote exist[emoji23]

fine
never vote again,not that you did anyway,enjoy your stance,that is your prerogative

Its your choice not to be bothered at all in the slightest on any political outcome.
No doubt i will never see you complaining against any politicians or the decisions they have made

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
fine
never vote again,not that you did anyway,enjoy your stance,that is your prerogative

Its your choice not to be bothered at all in the slightest on any political outcome.
No doubt i will never see you complaining against any politicians or the decisions they have made
I'll vote when I feel there's someone to vote for, I won't just vote for the best of a bad bunch like most people do.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I'll vote when I feel there's someone to vote for, I won't just vote for the best of a bad bunch like most people do.

TBH it is your generation that should be voting, you have already stated that you can not afford to get a property, same as my son's. Has being a member of the EU with mass immigration helped your plight..I don't think so.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
TBH it is your generation that should be voting, you have already stated that you can not afford to get a property, same as my son's. Has being a member of the EU with mass immigration helped your plight..I don't think so.
Your son and I will never be able to afford a home regardless all the time affordable homes aren't built.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Brexit is NOT a financial crisis and 'resilient' markets can cope, rallies Barclays boss

ONE of Britain's top banking figures has said the UK's vote to Leave the European Union (EU) is a political issue and does not constitute a financial crisis.
Barclays vice chairman David Wright has pointed to the recent stock market surge as a sign that the Brexit vote has not fatally hit investor confidence.
He told CNBC: "This is a political crisis, it is not, fortunately, a financial or economic crisis."
He added: "The good thing is that (the markets) demonstrate the effect and the benefit of all that's been done over the last two or three years in banks like Barclays to strengthen our capital, to strengthen our liquidity and to make us much more resilient in dealing with any sort of crisis."
On the day of the outcome of referendum, stock markets registered heavy losses, with bank shares some of the biggest losers.
But Britain's FTSE 100 has since fulled recovered and jumped to its highest level in almost a year.
Mr Wright said that against the political risks currently taking place Barclays is able to lend and continue functioning as a bank.
It comes after Barclays chief executive Jes Staley said the bank is "staying anchored in Great Britain" and is not making any plans to move staff on to the continent.
he boss said the firm may make extra hires in Europe if necessary, but that would not paid for by losses in the UK.
Mr Wright also said the vote for Brexit will not affect Barclays business plans in Asia.

http://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...nancial-crisis-markets-can-cope-Barclays-boss

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I have already stated that i made a mistake and put months instead of 8000 a year, it was not a lie and on this post and a few over the years you have called me a liar.
Clearly by doing this you are trying to curry favour with others. I will probably in the future get things wrong as do many.....but lieing, no.
Now toddle off to your 3+ dating sites and get some company....might calm you down a bit.

Im currying favour when pointing out your deceptive posts? Ok mate.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Citigroup, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs have all signed up to a statement saying they “agreed that we would work together…with a common aim to help London retain its position as the leading international financial center.”

It’s OK, relax, we’ve got this. After unrelenting coverage that one of Dublin, Paris or Frankfurt will displace London as Europe’s leading financial centre sinceEU referendum, the City’s investment banks have come out say they will work with chancellor George Osbourne to maintain the UK financial sector.

Citigroup, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs have all signed up to a statement saying they “agreed that we would work together…with a common aim to help London retain its position as the leading international financial center.”

Is this a backtrack from pre-Brexit vote threats, or a guarantee that investment banks definitely won’t move jobs to another financial centre? Not really. The problem, more than anything, is all the uncertainty surrounding the Brexit vote, something that is unlikely to be resolved until September at the earliest after the Conservative Party leadership election.

Maintaining access to EU markets from the UK is obviously key for banks. As one banker at the meeting told Reuters: “no one in their right mind would currently invest in Britain.”

What’s more, Jamie Dimon reiterated to Italian newspaper Il Sole 24 Ore that “some thousands” of UK-based jobs would head to the eurozone if “new conditions” are imposed by the EU. This was, however, a “worst case scenario”, he said.

Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley have also been forced to deny that they’re already planning to move jobs elsewhere. Investment banks, it’s assumed, won’t wait for the glacial movements in Westminster before deciding where to base their staff.

So, why the statement? It could have something to do with the fact that London has ALL the qualities of a top financial centre, whereas other EU states are still lacking. These, according to Z/Yen (which creates a well-respected financial centre index) are “English-language facility, favourable regulatory environment, efficient transport infrastructure, office availability and a welcoming attitude to foreign workforce.”

Dublin, maybe, comes close, but Ireland isn’t yet ready for an influx of tens of thousands of banking jobs.

Separately, trader-turned-author, Sam Polk – writing in the New York Times – says that the ongoing proliferation of “bro-talk” on Wall Street locks women out of the senior ranks. Senior bankers regularly collude around obscene talk that openly objectifies women, he says. This, of course, isn’t overt, but often more often occurs when women aren’t present. Men bond in a culture where women are ‘casually torn apart in conversation”.

“How can you ever stomach promoting them, or working for them?” he says.

http://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk-en/249404/morning-coffee-6/

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
I thought you brexiters didn't value the opinions of experts? Or do they only count when they fit with your view?

Experts gets things wrong from time to time, Didn't the experts say the stay vote would win even around midnight on 23 June 2016

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Experts gets things wrong from time to time, Didn't the experts say the stay vote would win even around midnight on 23 June 2016

Some of them did, yes. Nigel Farage did as well. Was he just finally listening to experts though or had it just been a long day?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

It’s OK, relax, we’ve got this. After unrelenting coverage that one of Dublin, Paris or Frankfurt will displace London as Europe’s leading financial centre sinceEU referendum, the City’s investment banks have come out say they will work with chancellor George Osbourne to maintain the UK financial sector.

Is this a backtrack from pre-Brexit vote threats, or a guarantee that investment banks definitely won’t move jobs to another financial centre? Not really. The problem, more than anything, is all the uncertainty surrounding the Brexit vote, something that is unlikely to be resolved until September at the earliest after the Conservative Party leadership election.

Maintaining access to EU markets from the UK is obviously key for banks. As one banker at the meeting told Reuters: “no one in their right mind would currently invest in Britain.”

What’s more, Jamie Dimon reiterated to Italian newspaper Il Sole 24 Ore that “some thousands” of UK-based jobs would head to the eurozone if “new conditions” are imposed by the EU. This was, however, a “worst case scenario”, he said.

Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley have also been forced to deny that they’re already planning to move jobs elsewhere. Investment banks, it’s assumed, won’t wait for the glacial movements in Westminster before deciding where to base their staff.

So, why the statement? It could have something to do with the fact that London has ALL the qualities of a top financial centre, whereas other EU states are still lacking. These, according to Z/Yen (which creates a well-respected financial centre index) are “English-language facility, favourable regulatory environment, efficient transport infrastructure, office availability and a welcoming attitude to foreign workforce.”

Dublin, maybe, comes close, but Ireland isn’t yet ready for an influx of tens of thousands of banking jobs.

Separately, trader-turned-author, Sam Polk – writing in the New York Times – says that the ongoing proliferation of “bro-talk” on Wall Street locks women out of the senior ranks. Senior bankers regularly collude around obscene talk that openly objectifies women, he says. This, of course, isn’t overt, but often more often occurs when women aren’t present. Men bond in a culture where women are ‘casually torn apart in conversation”.

“How can you ever stomach promoting them, or working for them?” he says.

http://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk-en/249404/morning-coffee-6/
Good news. Just got to make sure the negotiators come back with the EU Banking passport and don't agree to any deal without it, and the future may not be so bleak.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
I have already stated that i made a mistake and put months instead of 8000 a year, it was not a lie and on this post and a few over the years you have called me a liar.
Clearly by doing this you are trying to curry favour with others. I will probably in the future get things wrong as do many.....but lieing, no.
Now toddle off to your 3+ dating sites and get some company....might calm you down a bit.

Sorry to be the grammar police but it's actually spelt 'lying'. You use the word so much I felt obligated to point it out.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If anything Brexit has highlighted everything that is wrong with our economy and is a direct result of what happens when you don't invest in things like manufacturing for your country. I trained as a Mechancial Engineer, Machinist when I left school working on Milling Machines, Surface Grinders, trade and skills that held so much value, but sadly vanished and replaced with Fried Chicken outlets instead. Is it any wonder people up north voted in their droves for Brexit. Only a few have really benefitted from this economy, the rest of us are stuck in neutral.

I feel Brexit is an opportunity now.

70'000 + jobs were created in the North of England through between 2009 and 2014 directly from schemes and training funded by the EU. Funds that would never have reached these places were it not for our membership of the EU. Funds that will now be gone forever.

The remain campaign failed to explain this fact and others like it to the voters and failed to inform people that a vote to leave is a vote to end funding.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here