Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Dear god this thread is now moaning bollocks. The situation is what it is. Most people will get on with what they have to do to earn a living and survive. Whatever the economic atmosphere (and however that atmosphere arrived) people will just have to adapt.

The vast majority of major German companies reported not having hired any of the million plus migrants who arrived in the country last year. The German government, International Monetary Fund (IMF), and Deutsche Bank predicted the migrants would be an economic boon for the country. Much of the international media echoed these claims, saying many doctors and architects were among last year’s influx of immigration to Germany. In a survey by the Frankfurter Allgemeiner Zeitung (FAZ), however, most of the top 30 companies on the German stock exchange (DAX) said they were unable to employ any of the new arrivals. The companies said migrants lacked the necessary qualifications needed to fill any of their roles.

Although the companies surveyed employ four million workers, FAZ reported that between them, they had only hired 54 migrants. Fifty of these are employed by the German post office, and the vast majority of top German companies hired none at all. Software giant SAP reported having two migrants working for them, and pharmaceutical manufacturer Merck also said they had hired two. The Kiel-based Institute for World Economics estimated that only two per cent of recent migrants to Germany are employable. Professor Ludger Wössmann, director of the Centre for the Economics of Education in Munich, said his research showed at least two thirds of migrants can’t read or write.

At the International Motor Show in Frankfurt, Daimler CEO Dieter Zetsche said the migrant influx would provide Germany with an “economic miracle”. Saying migrants who traveled to Germany are highly motivated, the automaker said his company was “looking for such people”. Despite these claims, FAZ revealed Mr. Zetsche’s company has yet to hire any migrants.
The newspaper reports that many DAX companies are involved in the “We Together” project. The project, launched by United Internet boss Ralph Dommermuth, aims to get migrants in employment. FAZ reported that United Internet, and its subsidiary 1&1, employ 8,200 people. Of these, though, the companies have only five migrants working for them, all in trainee positions. They said they did not want to make promises they can’t keep.
Bit like WW2 when you volunteered to go into the commandos to save yourselves getting drafted into the cannon fodder brigades.
Germany saw what was coming with the mass migration and got in early to take the skilled and academic economic migrants and the rest of Europe stalled and ended up with the dregs and the real asylum seekers.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Bit like WW2 when you volunteered to go into the commandos to save yourselves getting drafted into the cannon fodder brigades.
Germany saw what was coming with the mass migration and got in early to take the skilled and academic economic migrants and the rest of Europe stalled and ended up with the dregs and the real asylum seekers.

'Germany.....take the skilled and academic economic migrants'......no they didn't Turkey got them. All of Europe got the dregs. Hence this countries vote to try and distance itself from EU.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
But you have still to comment on your omission regarding the USA legislation post.

Firstly i do not "have to comment" secondly i am not aware of my "omission regarding the USA legislation post".....feel free to inform me and the rest of the posters that you are playing up to, what this "omission" is. Hopefully with your wisdom you can clear it up.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Firstly i do not "have to comment" secondly i am not aware of my "omission regarding the USA legislation post".....feel free to inform me and the rest of the posters that you are playing up to, what this "omission" is. Hopefully with your wisdom you can clear it up.

Just read the original reply its all there in black and white. But well done for again not actually responding.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Just read the original reply its all there in black and white. But well done for again not actually responding.

I'll tell you what, seeing as i do not have a clue what you are getting at, you put up " the original reply" and we can all see " its all there in black and white".
Obviously i can then "actually respond" and will know what you mean......unless of course there is no ""omission regarding the USA legislation post".......i am ready to hold my hands up if this is the case.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
What is coming our way isn't as bad as the second world war but that doesn't stop it being completely unnecessary. I suppose you'd also say that people shouldn't complain about getting mugged because other people have got murdered in the past. And no, the passports aren't needed just to avoid members of my family getting visas. I'm surprised you didn't know the circumstances.

Please, tell me the circumstances?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Seems to be a lot of worry about wars now we have voted to leave the EU.
Does it mean we are now out of NATO......eh :)

This from HM Forces via the Foreign Office.

"NATO the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, was founded in the aftermath of the Second World War to secure peace in Europe and promote cooperation among its members.

Today, it represents almost a billion citizens and half the world's military power. In this video, UK Permanent Representative Adam Thomson explains why NATO remains central to UK defence.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

you may have mis-read, the article says the Germans havent ended up with lots of skilled, educated people. this doesnt surprise me, the more educated would be multi-lingual, i'd imagine French speaking Syrians would go to France and those with English to UK, or as likly to Holland, Nordics or pretty much chose their desination - by plane not by Dingy Ferries either.

'Germany.....take the skilled and academic economic migrants'......no they didn't Turkey got them. All of Europe got the dregs. Hence this countries vote to try and distance itself from EU.
And I was one of these voters who wanted to distance itself from the EU, as my other 200 odd posts would suggest.

I was just pointing out that Germany appeared to be ahead of the game when it came to migrant quota selection.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The vast majority of major German companies reported not having hired any of the million plus migrants who arrived in the country last year. The German government, International Monetary Fund (IMF), and Deutsche Bank predicted the migrants would be an economic boon for the country. Much of the international media echoed these claims, saying many doctors and architects were among last year’s influx of immigration to Germany. In a survey by the Frankfurter Allgemeiner Zeitung (FAZ), however, most of the top 30 companies on the German stock exchange (DAX) said they were unable to employ any of the new arrivals. The companies said migrants lacked the necessary qualifications needed to fill any of their roles.

Although the companies surveyed employ four million workers, FAZ reported that between them, they had only hired 54 migrants. Fifty of these are employed by the German post office, and the vast majority of top German companies hired none at all. Software giant SAP reported having two migrants working for them, and pharmaceutical manufacturer Merck also said they had hired two. The Kiel-based Institute for World Economics estimated that only two per cent of recent migrants to Germany are employable. Professor Ludger Wössmann, director of the Centre for the Economics of Education in Munich, said his research showed at least two thirds of migrants can’t read or write.

At the International Motor Show in Frankfurt, Daimler CEO Dieter Zetsche said the migrant influx would provide Germany with an “economic miracle”. Saying migrants who traveled to Germany are highly motivated, the automaker said his company was “looking for such people”. Despite these claims, FAZ revealed Mr. Zetsche’s company has yet to hire any migrants.
The newspaper reports that many DAX companies are involved in the “We Together” project. The project, launched by United Internet boss Ralph Dommermuth, aims to get migrants in employment. FAZ reported that United Internet, and its subsidiary 1&1, employ 8,200 people. Of these, though, the companies have only five migrants working for them, all in trainee positions. They said they did not want to make promises they can’t keep.
I'm not saying you're 'lieing', but can you indicate where you cut and pasted this from. The way it's written suggests it's not the Express, a regular favourite of yours.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Seems to be a lot of worry about wars now we have voted to leave the EU.
Does it mean we are now out of NATO......eh :)

This from HM Forces via the Foreign Office.

"NATO the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, was founded in the aftermath of the Second World War to secure peace in Europe and promote cooperation among its members.

Today, it represents almost a billion citizens and half the world's military power. In this video, UK Permanent Representative Adam Thomson explains why NATO remains central to UK defence.

But But But
It was the EU that saved us all from Germany starting more wars (being occupied after WW2 played no part at all in telling them to calm the frack down).
It was the European Dream that stops us all killing each other and The EU that held Moscow at bay during the cold war.

Here is MP Dave "disastrous" Lammy telling how India were fighting for "The European Project" in The Second World War

:ffsparr:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Please, tell me the circumstances?

I won't give you the details because you have already made it clear that you think you know them, but it involves setting up two companies to operate between the UK and two other EU countries. In addition, many of our family have an emotional attachment to the themes of Churchill's Amsterdam speech of the late 40s.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Just had a look at Germany's policy for asylum seekers. It has a policy currently that bars asylum seekers from work for 3 months if they are not required to remain in a reception centre, or 6 months if they are required to remain in a reception centre.
However, to apply for a work permit they need a job offer with a detailed job description from the employer, the Job centre then does a priority review to see if any German, or Foreign national with residency on their books can take the job, if they can, they get the job. This continues until the asylum seeker has been there for 15 months, then they are able to take the job they are offered, without the job centre offering it to someone else first. They are not allowed to be self employed until they have been granted asylum.
So the numbers in employment should go up in a few months, when they have a more even chance of getting the job.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Well, that didn't take long - a UK Trade Continuity Act reaches Congress just one week after a UK vote for Brexit.

The proposed bill aims to lock down current trading arrangements between the U.S and the UK, and fire the starting gun on a bilateral deal, with the intention of concluding a trade agreement within one year.

Commenting on the bill, House Speaker, Paul Ryan said, “We need to emphasize that they are our indispensable ally. We have a special relationship, and I think that does mean we should have a trade agreement with Great Britain."

So much for being back of the queue, Barack.

By Lukas Mikelionis | 4:39 am, July 1, 2016
Despite claims that the US would banish Britain to the “back of the queue” if it dared to leave the European Union, Congress is already considering measures to boost trade with the UK.

A bill to lock down current trading arrangements, and fire the starting gun on a bilateral deal, was introduced to the US Senate yesterday.

The United Kingdom Trade Continuity Act mandates the US to keep trading on exactly the same terms after Britain leaves the EU.

It also urges the President to start fast-track talks with the UK, with the aim of concluding a bilateral trade deal in just one year.

The bill (full text below) was introduced by senators Mike Lee (R-UT) and Tom Cotton (R-AR), who said strengthening the so-called special relationship is in the interest of both nations.

Despite claims that the US would banish Britain to the “back of the queue” if it dared to leave the European Union, Congress is already considering measures to boost trade with the UK.

A bill to lock down current trading arrangements, and fire the starting gun on a bilateral deal, was introduced to the US Senate yesterday.

The United Kingdom Trade Continuity Act mandates the US to keep trading on exactly the same terms after Britain leaves the EU.

Follow
Viv J. @Un_Spin
US House Speaker @SpeakerRyan calls for trade deal with UK, says he might have voted for Brexit too http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/paul-ryan-brexit-trade-224878
4:26 PM - 28 Jun 2016
Photo published for Ryan calls for post-Brexit trade deal with U.K.
Ryan calls for post-Brexit trade deal with U.K.
"We need to emphasize that they are our indispensable ally," Ryan said.
politico.com
53 53 Retweets 34 34 likes
It also urges the President to start fast-track talks with the UK, with the aim of concluding a bilateral trade deal in just one year.

The bill (full text below) was introduced by senators Mike Lee (R-UT) and Tom Cotton (R-AR), who said strengthening the so-called special relationship is in the interest of both nations.

Follow
Luke Coffey [MENTION=18348]luke[/MENTION]DCoffey
US-UK Free Trade Agreement gathering momentum. Senators Lee & Cotton introduce "United Kingdom Trade Continuity Act" https://www.scribd.com/doc/317160209/Lee-Cotton-Introduce-United-Kingdom-Trade-Continuity-Act
8:56 PM - 30 Jun 2016
Photo published for Lee, Cotton Introduce United Kingdom Trade Continuity Act
Lee, Cotton Introduce United Kingdom Trade Continuity Act
WASHINGTON – Sens. Mike Lee (R-UT) and Tom Cotton (R-AR) introduced the “United Kingdom Trade Continuity Act” Wednesday, a bill designed to promote economic stability and growth as the United Kingdom...
scribd.com
289 289 Retweets 187 187 likes
It comes after a string of nations made positive noises about stepping up UK trade within days of it ditching the EU, which removes the ability of member states to strike their own deals.

The crucial section of the bill reads: “Not later than 30 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, the President should initiate negotiations with the United Kingdom with the goal of reaching a final comprehensive bilateral trade agreement by the date that is one year after such date of enactment; and the President should make every effort to negotiate such an agreement expeditiously.”

Such a timescale is in stark contrast to the beleaguered TTIP deal between the US and the EU, which has been under negotiation for more than a decade.

Some experts have suggested that Brexit may have destroyed the deal completely.

While the bill has no power to compel the President to do anything, it would be a strong sign that the US prioritizes closer economic relations with the UK.

In a statement on the bill, Senator Lee said: “Our nation’s special relationship with the United Kingdom has promoted economic prosperity and security in both countries for over a hundred years.
“This relationship can and should be preserved – which is why we have introduced legislation that would minimize uncertainty and promote stability as the United Kingdom declares their independence from the European Union.”

Senator Cotton said strong military ties between the US and UK mean that Britain should get special treatment.

He said the UK “stood with us at the front lines of battle, and it should therefore be at the front of the line for a free trade agreement that benefits both our nations.

“At this time of transition for our ancestral ally, it is in our deepest interest to reaffirm the Special Relationship.

“And it is my hope that our other European allies will also move in the spirit of magnanimity, generosity, and continued friendship as they negotiate new partnerships with the United Kingdom”

So you are saying we won't be at the back of the queue and for whatever reason make no mention of the FACT that the Bill is worthless as the President can just ignore it. But of course that doesn;t fit in with view of every things better outside of the EU.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Well, that didn't take long - a UK Trade Continuity Act reaches Congress just one week after a UK vote for Brexit.

The proposed bill aims to lock down current trading arrangements between the U.S and the UK, and fire the starting gun on a bilateral deal, with the intention of concluding a trade agreement within one year.

Commenting on the bill, House Speaker, Paul Ryan said, “We need to emphasize that they are our indispensable ally. We have a special relationship, and I think that does mean we should have a trade agreement with Great Britain."

So much for being back of the queue, Barack.

Follow
Viv J. @Un_Spin
US House Speaker @SpeakerRyan calls for trade deal with UK, says he might have voted for Brexit too http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/paul-ryan-brexit-trade-224878
4:26 PM - 28 Jun 2016
Photo published for Ryan calls for post-Brexit trade deal with U.K.
Ryan calls for post-Brexit trade deal with U.K.
"We need to emphasize that they are our indispensable ally," Ryan said.
politico.com
53 53 Retweets 34 34 likes

Follow
Luke Coffey [MENTION=18348]luke[/MENTION]DCoffey
US-UK Free Trade Agreement gathering momentum. Senators Lee & Cotton introduce "United Kingdom Trade Continuity Act" https://www.scribd.com/doc/317160209/Lee-Cotton-Introduce-United-Kingdom-Trade-Continuity-Act
8:56 PM - 30 Jun 2016
Photo published for Lee, Cotton Introduce United Kingdom Trade Continuity Act
Lee, Cotton Introduce United Kingdom Trade Continuity Act
WASHINGTON – Sens. Mike Lee (R-UT) and Tom Cotton (R-AR) introduced the “United Kingdom Trade Continuity Act” Wednesday, a bill designed to promote economic stability and growth as the United Kingdom...
scribd.com
289 289 Retweets 187 187 likes
It comes after a string of nations made positive noises about stepping up UK trade within days of it ditching the EU, which removes the ability of member states to strike their own deals.

The crucial section of the bill reads: “Not later than 30 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, the President should initiate negotiations with the United Kingdom with the goal of reaching a final comprehensive bilateral trade agreement by the date that is one year after such date of enactment; and the President should make every effort to negotiate such an agreement expeditiously.”

Such a timescale is in stark contrast to the beleaguered TTIP deal between the US and the EU, which has been under negotiation for more than a decade.

Some experts have suggested that Brexit may have destroyed the deal completely.

While the bill has no power to compel the President to do anything, it would be a strong sign that the US prioritizes closer economic relations with the UK.

In a statement on the bill, Senator Lee said: “Our nation’s special relationship with the United Kingdom has promoted economic prosperity and security in both countries for over a hundred years.
“This relationship can and should be preserved – which is why we have introduced legislation that would minimize uncertainty and promote stability as the United Kingdom declares their independence from the European Union.”

Senator Cotton said strong military ties between the US and UK mean that Britain should get special treatment.

He said the UK “stood with us at the front lines of battle, and it should therefore be at the front of the line for a free trade agreement that benefits both our nations.

“At this time of transition for our ancestral ally, it is in our deepest interest to reaffirm the Special Relationship.

“And it is my hope that our other European allies will also move in the spirit of magnanimity, generosity, and continued friendship as they negotiate new partnerships with the United Kingdom”

So you are saying we won't be at the back of the queue and for whatever reason make no mention of the FACT that the Bill is worthless as the President can just ignore it. But of course that doesn;t fit in with view of every things better outside of the EU.

You are one strange person, you are almost willing it to fail just to prove you are right. Are you always this negative ??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here