Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
So many factually incorrect statements in one post!

Care to elaborate?

Because every point is factually correct... however brexiters don't like real facts. They like sound bites "take back or country"

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
chart.jsproto_large.chart

I see the FTSE 250 is up over 300 points (2%) this morning so not all doom and gloom.

FTSE is a reflection of international business, the pound is a much more relevant guide to belief in the ongoing strength of the British economy.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Ah Ok oh insulting one from behind the keyboard. Unfortunately using my mobile and just popping in occasionally in the day, unlike some, I posted that Norway turned away 8000 last month. As was pointed out by a poster it was indeed a year. I expected to be pulled up about it and admit my figures and text was wrong on THIS occasion. Keep going keyboard warrior, your country needs you.

And what about the usa legislation post yet more silence

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
When we start to enact the process instructed by the democratic will of the majority we will begin to see what our new relationship with our European friends is likely to be rather rely on guesswork which suggests the overly optimistic sunny uplands or the doomsday 'real shit going down'.

I notice your location, Crawley with a 58% vote to leave ... the real world indeed.

Yes, The majority of my Town and my Country were taken in, I believe that if we had another referendum though, the result would be different.
If the will of the people is what you want to enact, surely another referendum would be wise?

When I say the real shit will go down, I am talking about recession in the first instance, job losses etc. eventually, we will come out of recession, but we will be much poorer nation, it will take many years, to get back to where we are now.
This is not guesswork. The exact number of years is a guess, but 5 years is very optomistic.

What is guesswork is how badly it will divide this country, and Europe, I do not want to paint the pictures for you, but there are some awful outcomes.
I promise you, if we go ahead with this, at some point you will regret that we went down the path. It is not yet set that we go, I hope we can stop it from happening, I hope that you and others will reconsider and add your voices to those calling for a better informed opinion to be heard, not the one made on lies and half truths a couple of weeks ago.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
In part, I was voting with other members interests in mind, the difficulties faced by our neighbours will get worse with us leaving, there is a potential for a fragmentation of the Union.
The evolution of the E.U. is slow and plodding, frustratingly so at times, so nothing that happens, happens overnight, there is time to adjust, amend, or block stuff, leaving will bring challenges on every front all at once, and will be a rush job.
We are one of the stronger members, the wealthier members and made a large net contribution, we chose to try and keep more for ourselves and share less with our neighbours, at a time when we need to help eachother, not very British in my opinion.

That seems a reasonable analysis of why you stayed, but it seems most Leavers have made their own decision based not on the merits of membership but more on the consequences of leaving it, which cannot yet be determined.

Some tend to think that a daily analysis of the currency markets, FTSE and anything else that might spit out an immediate negative result is what is bolstering their own feeling of injustice of their lost referendum vote.

Whilst it is of some worth giving a net contribution for the wellbeing of other countries, I personally couldnt have foreseen the future accession countries that for me have never been in my psyche as our European neighbours and partners, either historically, politically and not even geographical and unsurprisingly many of those are net recipients of funds whilst adding to migration at levels never seen before.

We are now free to apportion financial help to whom we like whatever and whenever we wish.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Yes, The majority of my Town and my Country were taken in, I believe that if we had another referendum though, the result would be different.
If the will of the people is what you want to enact, surely another referendum would be wise?

When I say the real shit will go down, I am talking about recession in the first instance, job losses etc. eventually, we will come out of recession, but we will be much poorer nation, it will take many years, to get back to where we are now.
This is not guesswork. The exact number of years is a guess, but 5 years is very optomistic.

What is guesswork is how badly it will divide this country, and Europe, I do not want to paint the pictures for you, but there are some awful outcomes.
I promise you, if we go ahead with this, at some point you will regret that we went down the path. It is not yet set that we go, I hope we can stop it from happening, I hope that you and others will reconsider and add your voices to those calling for a better informed opinion to be heard, not the one made on lies and half truths a couple of weeks ago.

I struggle to understand why Crawley voted out, they will be impacted a lot if we leave and it goes tits up - The airport/travel companies in the area employ thousands.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What evidence have you got that the result would be different? WWIII hasn't started yet has it?

This is not guesswork.
Yes it is. I expect there to be a recession, but it's only a guess.

I promise you, if we go ahead with this, at some point you will regret that we went down the path.
You're in no position to make such a promise. You don't know what will happen, or what we'll all think of it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This is not guesswork. The exact number of years is a guess, but 5 years is very optimistic.

no 5 years is very pessimistic, it assumes a deep recession along the lines of 2008-09. why do so many want this to happen just to be proven right?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Many leavers accepted that the early stages of Brexit would bring the sort of turmoil we are seeing so I am not sure what the remainers are hoping to gain by keep reminding everybody of it. Perhaps we can all save the debate until the end game is played out and we can see the outcome of Brexit rather than initial anticipated phases.

Yes, you may be right. One of the Economists for Britain group of pro-Brexit experts (it was quite a small group) said that by 2030 the economy should be back to where it would have been if we hadn't left the EU and - wait for it - it might be before then. And he was trying to flog the project! And three weeks ago the leader of a Brexit economists group (it may have been the same one), a Cardiff professor called Metcalf, was really gung ho about abandoning tariffs, adding this immortal line "it will probably mean the elimination of British manufacturing but that is not something we should be afraid of."

Yeah I know, let's all wait until people are really really suffering before we debate this.

I try to be polite in my posts but I'm starting to think that we are living in a lunatic asylum.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Yes, you may be right. One of the Economists for Britain group of pro-Brexit experts (it was quite a small group) said that by 2030 the economy should be back to where it would have been if we hadn't left the EU and - wait for it - it might be before then. And he was trying to flog the project! And three weeks ago the leader of a Brexit economists group (it may have been the same one), a Cardiff professor called Metcalf, was really gung ho about abandoning tariffs, adding this immortal line "it will probably mean the elimination of British manufacturing but that is not something we should be afraid of."

Yeah I know, let's all wait until people are really really suffering before we debate this.

I try to be polite in my posts but I'm starting to think that we are living in a lunatic asylum.

We've got our country back though. It's a price worth paying. The multi-millionaire UKIP backer Arron Banks said so.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yes, you may be right. One of the Economists for Britain group of pro-Brexit experts (it was quite a small group) said that by 2030 the economy should be back to where it would have been if we hadn't left the EU and - wait for it - it might be before then.

i dont beleive you have that correct, not even the remainers scenarios painted that picture.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
In part, I was voting with other members interests in mind, the difficulties faced by our neighbours will get worse with us leaving, there is a potential for a fragmentation of the Union.
The evolution of the E.U. is slow and plodding, frustratingly so at times, so nothing that happens, happens overnight, there is time to adjust, amend, or block stuff, leaving will bring challenges on every front all at once, and will be a rush job.
We are one of the stronger members, the wealthier members and made a large net contribution, we chose to try and keep more for ourselves and share less with our neighbours, at a time when we need to help eachother, not very British in my opinion.

Is the EU evolving, as in moving in the right direction? The indications over the last 10 years or more are that the EU leaders are intent on evolving into a single European federal state. The BREXIT vote has, seemingly, resulted in EU statements proposing to speed up the federalisation process.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
People are keyboard warriors for pointing out that you lied, and did not retract, or mention it again until now?
How right were you when you posted a picture of the Labour Business secretary as a member of UKIP?
On and on and on, maybe that is why you are on so many dating sites, you bore them. By the way your profile on one was done when you were 53, you are now 61, like on here try changing the profile like the record. Good luck getting a younger partner and update the profile picture as well.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

How do you think the EU might effect the outcome, it seems obvious to me that they would trigger any likelihood of a sustained downturn if they CHOOSE to implement certain actions, which in turn would effect their own economic performance that is already woeful in most cases, they have a role to play here whilst also acknowledging that although we have left (and we are not going back) they have been the net recipients of approx. £400 Billion since 1973 from the UK ??

We did our bit, we have a strong and resilient economy we expect the EU to be reasonable but if not we will be just fine and whilst the EU is engulfed in internal squabbles, national elections and further disaffection from their own electorate, we will be free to become an even more dynamic and prosperous nation than ever before ..............................

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
We've got our country back though. It's a price worth paying. The multi-millionaire UKIP backer Arron Banks said so.

It's strange isn't it this "Our Country" line, seems to me that the country is pretty owned lock stock and barrel by about 3% and they could care less about any of us. Billionaires like Dyson who didn't want to pay a working wage to British people who subsequently transferred manufacturing to Malaysia but still wanted Brexit, It's a right wing coup folks and you have been conned.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
On and on and on, maybe that is why you are on so many dating sites, you bore them. By the way your profile on one was done when you were 53, you are now 61, like on here try changing the profile like the record. Good luck getting a younger partner and update the profile picture as well.

What an electric comeback. Not too shabby for the NSC resident Brexit liar.
You are REGULARLY caught out lying on NSC, and you throw the same hissy fits whenever you are confronted with them.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
That seems a reasonable analysis of why you stayed, but it seems most Leavers have made their own decision based not on the merits of membership but more on the consequences of leaving it, which cannot yet be determined.

Some tend to think that a daily analysis of the currency markets, FTSE and anything else that might spit out an immediate negative result is what is bolstering their own feeling of injustice of their lost referendum vote.

Whilst it is of some worth giving a net contribution for the wellbeing of other countries, I personally couldnt have foreseen the future accession countries that for me have never been in my psyche as our European neighbours and partners, either historically, politically and not even geographical and unsurprisingly many of those are net recipients of funds whilst adding to migration at levels never seen before.

We are now free to apportion financial help to whom we like whatever and whenever we wish.

I was not purely altruistic in my voting, I also believe it is better for Britain to remain.
I think long term there will be little benefit, in or out, economically, but we will suffer short to medium term, which with little if any net benefit at the end, seems pointless.
I think the current devaluing of the pound is worth pointing out, and also that it is likely to go lower if we go ahead. The FTSE perhaps less so, but it is being highlighted because this sort of reaction was predicted, but dismissed as project fear scaremongering. What is worrying me is that quite a few seem to think that the "Project Fear" predictions have happened, are all done and we are now on our way up!

There is a rude awakening ahead for some, when they realise that freeing themselves of the E.U. shackles involves breaking both their own legs.

Politically, some of what I see as a plus of the Union, others may see as a minus.
There are issues that face the world today though that cannot be solved by individual nations all competing with each other, we need to be part of a larger organisation if we want to be part of the solution.

The World is shrinking, they are all our neighbours, and events anywhere can have an impact here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here