Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I do feel a lot of responsibility for this falls on the Government and David Cameron. Surely if you are the government in power and you call a referendum, you have a responsibility to deal with the outcome of that referendum regardless of the result or what you believe in - because you called the friggin' referendum!!

I don't blame Farage, he isn't even an MP, but how did a government approach a crucial vote without a plan for both outcomes? It absolutely beggars belief.
I basically agree with you, it may not be what Cameron wanted, but it was his responsibility to have a plan if it happened.

But then what would such a plan look like - presumably the plan would be to find a new leader, who would set up a team to negotiate a deal - which is what is happening.

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
But it seems that if we Remained then the EU was in need of and would reform and we are told still that it is need of reform and will reform, but you and I do not know how this reformed EU would look exactly, so in many ways your in the same bag as the Brexiteers.

The referendum was to leave the EU, with some assumptions and some conclusions, but a Remain vote wasn't for a EU that will not change and stay the same, so your vote offers similar challenges, assumptions and an unknown conclusions.

The remain option would have seen gradual remodelling on individual issues. The leave option is a bit more like knocking the house down and starting again. With us living on the demolition site and doing the rebuilding with the rubble.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I do feel a lot of responsibility for this falls on the Government and David Cameron. Surely if you are the government in power and you call a referendum, you have a responsibility to deal with the outcome of that referendum regardless of the result or what you believe in - because you called the friggin' referendum!!

I basically agree with you, it may not be what Cameron wanted, but it was his responsibility to have a plan if it happened.

But then what would such a plan look like - presumably the plan would be to find a new leader, who would set up a team to negotiate a deal - which is what is happening.

He did have a plan if he lost that was to resign, I think what is surprising is the winners seem to be resigning or not standing for position of responsibility after winning. Michael Gove the exception but he has proved what a joker he is over the last week or so....

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
What's worse the remainers saying told you or so, or the leavers lack of any plan? That lack of plan could well see the only way forward is a way back...

The "told you so" has not begun. What is happening now is the rumble of the storm that is coming.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
No it didn't. The security of my family to remain in the UK would not be under threat, the economic out look would not be so awful, the £ would not be plummeting the country would not be leaderless, hate crimes would not have soared by 400%.

Oh dont be bloody stupid ........

Why dont you put some context in your post, why not articulate how your family is prone to now be in difficulties, perhaps consider for one moment how young Spanish, Greek and Italian unemployed feel about their economy and your hate crime scenario is no more valid than the usual EDL immigrant and crime link, add something worth discussing.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He did have a plan if he lost that was to resign, I think what is surprising is the winners seem to be resigning or not standing for position of responsibility after winning. Michael Gove the exception but he has proved what a joker he is over the last week or so....
Presumably you don't think Farage should be standing for leader of the Conservative party, so you just mean Boris, and the Conservatives have told him not to stand as they won't vote for him. So what exactly is the problem?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No it didn't. The security of my family to remain in the UK would not be under threat, the economic out look would not be so awful, the £ would not be plummeting the country would not be leaderless, hate crimes would not have soared by 400%.

Why dont you put some context in your post, why not articulate how your family is prone to now be in difficulties, perhaps consider for one moment how young Spanish, Greek and Italian unemployed feel about their economy and your hate crime scenario is no more valid than the usual EDL immigrant and crime link, add something worth discussing.
Absolutely loving your work BigGully.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton

So its bloody stupid that my French partner is worried about her right to reside in this country when Theresa May stated that this could not be guaranteed yesterday. So I wonder where my 18 month daughter would live if my partner has to leave this country. You might think that's bloody stupid but this is my reality.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/search?q=hATE CRIMES INCEASE

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
It's slightly ironic that we are today hearing about the huge F*ck up caused by not having a plan (Chilcott - Iraq, post Saddam) - whilst so many are celebrating their Referendum victory (a momentous act, with no plan for what to do in the case of victory). The aftermath of Brexit will clearly be a different sort of disaster, but the point is relevant. Too many people hung-ho for a particular outcome, with no idea what to do next. Fortunately we still have time to draw back from the brink, but it's worrying that so many Remain politicians now seem to have given up the fight, and are keen to "respect the wishes of the people" no matter how disastrous it is for our future.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Whats he doing editing my one of my posts, is that allowed ??

Just not cricket .........
A few of you have messed up with your quotes, that's all. It looks like you quoted yourself and were arguing with yourself, but I realise that's not what you meant.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It's slightly ironic that we are today hearing about the huge F*ck up caused by not having a plan (Chilcott - Iraq, post Saddam) - whilst so many are celebrating their Referendum victory (a momentous act, with no plan for what to do in the case of victory). The aftermath of Brexit will clearly be a different sort of disaster, but the point is relevant. Too many people hung-ho for a particular outcome, with no idea what to do next. Fortunately we still have time to draw back from the brink, but it's worrying that so many Remain politicians now seem to have given up the fight, and are keen to "respect the wishes of the people" no matter how disastrous it is for our future.

I agree Jim. The writing is on the wall. The politicians know it. This isn't in any way similar to WMD which was a great unknown reliant on one inspector's team who knew they were being led a merry dance by a dictator. This is a case of a huge body of economists saying that leaving the EU would not be in the interests of the UK.

However, this is now political and I just don't see how any conservative leader will be able to wiggle out of it. They may know that they are leading the country towards a negative outcome, but the people have spoken.

I desperately hope sense will prevail, but I'm a realist and recognise that we'll have to get on with it. I just wonder how many talented people we're going to lose to other economies. I'm too old to go now, but if I were in my twenties post-university, why would I stay here as opposed to exploring other parts of the world. We're making it easy for our home-grown talent to find reasons to leave and difficult for foreign-born talent to find reason to come here.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
So its bloody stupid that my French partner is worried about her right to reside in this country when Theresa May stated that this could not be guaranteed yesterday. So I wonder where my 18 month daughter would live if my partner has to leave this country. You might think that's bloody stupid but this is my reality.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/search?q=hATE CRIMES INCEASE

I'm not a May apologist and I haven't listened to her statement, but if I were about to become PM then I wouldn't make any public promises as I'd want to keep my powder very dry. That's all that is happening right now. She's keeping tight.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
A few of you have messed up with your quotes, that's all. It looks like you quoted yourself and were arguing with yourself, but I realise that's not what you meant.

No it seems he has somehow edited a couple of my own quotes, those words aren't mine ...................... but granted I can quite easily argue with myself !!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I agree Jim. The writing is on the wall. The politicians know it. This isn't in any way similar to WMD which was a great unknown reliant on one inspector's team who knew they were being led a merry dance by a dictator. This is a case of a huge body of economists saying that leaving the EU would not be in the interests of the UK.

However, this is now political and I just don't see how any conservative leader will be able to wiggle out of it. They may know that they are leading the country towards a negative outcome, but the people have spoken.

I desperately hope sense will prevail, but I'm a realist and recognise that we'll have to get on with it. I just wonder how many talented people we're going to lose to other economies. I'm too old to go now, but if I were in my twenties post-university, why would I stay here as opposed to exploring other parts of the world. We're making it easy for our home-grown talent to find reasons to leave and difficult for foreign-born talent to find reason to come here.

Run a GE on the basis we won't leave the EU if voted in.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I just wonder how many talented people we're going to lose to other economies. I'm too old to go now, but if I were in my twenties post-university, why would I stay here as opposed to exploring other parts of the world. We're making it easy for our home-grown talent to find reasons to leave and difficult for foreign-born talent to find reason to come here.

Other than an Amex season ticket, nothing and like you I can see many talented youngsters leaving for other parts of the world because they see a better future than the one that is looking likely here.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No it seems he has somehow edited a couple of my own quotes
No he hasn't.
those words aren't mine
I know, but you quoted him, and inside the quote was a quote tag with your name, so it looks like you quoted yourself. Look at your post number 4306.

...................... but granted I can quite easily argue with myself !!
Well if no one else is up to the job, sometimes it's the best option.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here