Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What's worse the remainers saying told you or so, or the leavers lack of any plan? That lack of plan could well see the only way forward is a way back...

both as bad as each other at this point.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I do feel a lot of responsibility for this falls on the Government and David Cameron. Surely if you are the government in power and you call a referendum, you have a responsibility to deal with the outcome of that referendum regardless of the result or what you believe in - because you called the friggin' referendum!!

I don't blame Farage, he isn't even an MP, but how did a government approach a crucial vote without a plan for both outcomes? It absolutely beggars belief.

I think it was also the responsibility of the Leave camp to outline their plan, which they didn't. Instead they allowed any and every meme to circulate.
I also think it was the responsibility of our media -- who for some strange reason claim their role is to keep the powerful in check, whereas they seem far more proficient at articulating, forwarding and securing their agenda -- to hold the Leave lot to account, and pick up on their lack of a plan.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think it was also the responsibility of the Leave camp to outline their plan, which they didn't. Instead they allowed any and every meme to circulate.
I also think it was the responsibility of our media -- who for some strange reason claim their role is to keep the powerful in check, whereas they seem far more proficient at articulating, forwarding and securing their agenda -- to hold the Leave lot to account, and pick up on their lack of a plan.

The 'Leave Camp' weren't a camp though, there didn't form a political party or group, they had no strategic policy making remit, it was just a group of individuals campaigning for their own reasons to leave the EU, and lets be fair, their reasons were varied.

There is no political Leave party, no group formed. There is no responsibility actually for them to do anything, they were free to campaign for something, and to be honest, free to do whatever they wished after as they made no promises, no manifesto, no policy commitments.

We as a country voted for something that has no outcome, no direction, no leadership, no responsibility other than to leave the EU. Amazing. We will look back in decades to come in astonishment at this moment.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The 'Leave Camp' weren't a camp though, there didn't form a political party or group, they had no strategic policy making remit, it was just a group of individuals campaigning for their own reasons to leave the EU, and lets be fair, their reasons were varied.

There is no political Leave party, no group formed. There is no responsibility actually for them to do anything, they were free to campaign for something, and to be honest, free to do whatever they wished after as they made no promises, no manifesto, no policy commitments.

We as a country voted for something that has no outcome, no direction, no leadership, no responsibility other than to leave the EU. Amazing. We will look back in decades to come in astonishment at this moment.

RE party, you could say the same for Remain, although that just meant more of the same. But, that said, I partially disagree, as there was a lot of jockeying around about who constituted the official Leave lot, but that eventually settled down and it was quite clear who the big guns were in it.
My main point, however, was the one that you haven't addressed which is that our media is a disgrace, and don't hold politicians to account because they're too busy pursuing their agenda. I even include the BBC in this, because they're always on the back foot, pandering to the agenda set by the print media proprietors and editors.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36721689

Pound hit new low.

The Brexit that just keep on giving.

The real worry is the outlook from the financial people in that their belief is the pound still has a long way to fall against the dollar.

But to please all the leavers, we must celebrate this and say in a confident voice that we are happy about this because leaving the EU is worth it.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton

We as a country voted for something that has no outcome, no direction, no leadership, no responsibility other than to leave the EU. Amazing. We will look back in decades to come in astonishment at this moment.[/QUOTE]

This is what truly astonished me.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
These UK property funds are falling like dominoes - will the rest topple before the end of the week?

Most of the big ones have suspended disinvestment now to keep some liquidity. This has always been an issue for property funds in times of uncertainty.

The FTSE100 index is also painting a falsely positive picture at the moment due to the weightings awarded to the big global companies that have had overseas income boosted as a result of the weak pound. Most UK companies without overseas income are down over 10% and headed lower.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

We as a country voted for something that has no outcome, no direction, no leadership, no responsibility other than to leave the EU. Amazing. We will look back in decades to come in astonishment at this moment.[/QUOTE]

This is what truly astonished me.

But it seems that if we Remained then the EU was in need of and would reform and we are told still that it is need of reform and will reform, but you and I do not know how this reformed EU would look exactly, so in many ways your in the same bag as the Brexiteers.

The referendum was to leave the EU, with some assumptions and some conclusions, but a Remain vote wasn't for a EU that will not change and stay the same, so your vote offers similar challenges, assumptions and an unknown conclusions.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Most of the big ones have suspended disinvestment now to keep some liquidity. This has always been an issue for property funds in times of uncertainty.

The FTSE100 index is also painting a falsely positive picture at the moment due to the weightings awarded to the big global companies that have had overseas income boosted as a result of the weak pound. Most UK companies without overseas income are down over 10% and headed lower.

Agreed - there will be some short-term gains from foreign income. FTSE 250 is a better underlying measure of more UK-centric firms (like mine - down more than 25% since the referendum: choppy times!). Hopefully this desire to sell UK commercial property will go away, but, as it is, we currently have a lot of people wanting to put UK commercial property on the market - not good when a lot of bank covenants and loans are secured on the values of such properties...

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I do feel a lot of responsibility for this falls on the Government and David Cameron. Surely if you are the government in power and you call a referendum, you have a responsibility to deal with the outcome of that referendum regardless of the result or what you believe in - because you called the friggin' referendum!!

I don't blame Farage, he isn't even an MP, but how did a government approach a crucial vote without a plan for both outcomes? It absolutely beggars belief.

I think the plan for Cameron was always resign if he lost, but if he had said that earlier it may have skewed the referendum into a Cameron out vote.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
But it seems that if we Remained then the EU was in need of and would reform and we are told still that it is need of reform and will reform, but you and I do not know how this reformed EU would look exactly, so in many ways your in the same bag as the Brexiteers.

The referendum was to leave the EU, with some assumptions and some conclusions, but a Remain vote wasn't for a EU that will not change and stay the same, so your vote offers similar challenges, assumptions and an unknown conclusions.

No it didn't. The security of my family to remain in the UK would not be under threat, the economic out look would not be so awful, the £ would not be plummeting the country would not be leaderless, hate crimes would not have soared by 400%.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here