Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I never heard one person from the leave campaign propose to stop immigration completely
I dont know a single leave voter that wanted or now wants to stop immigration completely

ive heard plenty of remainers saying leavers wanted to and want to now stop immigration completely.
inventing things and putting false words in peoples mouths doesnt make you right.

the simple fact is the remain camp were completely out of touch with peoples feelings on the immigration issue,this was part of their downfall.
It seems post referendum they are still out of touch and simply dont get it

Well all you have voted on is for Britain to leave the EU.

As another poll on here shows the majority of people want access to the single market and are happy with free movement of people.

It would be undemocratic if this wasn't the outcome of Brexit.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I honestly don't think on this (or many other issues) NSC is representative of the nation. Brighton is different in many way.

Of the people I know who voted Leave (and don't live in the Brighton area). A couple of them voted because they wanted to break away from EU concepts of integration regarding sovereignty or their beliefs regarding it's free market concepts. The others, which includes numerous members of my family, did so because of immigration, and from a political stance these are Labour and Conservative voters. They also cover the reported demographics regarding age, education etc.

It's anecdotal I know, but they did buy into the "less of them" here. Mainly non EU nationals as it goes as most of their contempt is regarding Muslims.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I didn't follow the campaigns closely (hardly at all, in fact) and I didn't vote, but one BREXIT policy that was publicised enough to catch my attention was: -

A points based immigration system like the Australian model.

That wasn't a policy, it was mentioned, as in 'we could have a points system like Australia', that isn't a policy, that is just saying what you could have. No one ever said, if you vote Brexit we'll have an immigration points system. It wasn't a policy.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
There were a number of clearly stated positions by the official BREXIT campaign team. One of them was a points based immigration system. Very clearly stated/

The referendum was in or out, it wasn't about voting a party in. Therefore it's down to who holds the majority in parliament to implement the will of the people.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Well all you have voted on is for Britain to leave the EU.

As another poll on here shows the majority of people want access to the single market and are happy with free movement of people.

It would be undemocratic if this wasn't the outcome of Brexit.

That poll is a nonsense. There is no option for saying you want free market access but not free movement of labour.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
To all those who think there were no racist or xenophobic voters, voting leave last Thursday.
My wife overheard a conversation between three old ladies today, two of whom were complaining to the other because their taxi driver was an Asian, who " could hardly speak English" Never mind said old girl number three" he won't be here for long"
No, came the reply" and I'm glad the Poles have got to go ,as well, I don't like Poles"
All three voted out on Thursday, I know because they took great delight in telling me on Friday

A mate of mine, who I'm meeting for the game later, has just texted that whilst on the school run picking up his son from primary school today in Bexhill, he overhead one of the mothers say:

'F****** Polish b****' at one of the other mothers.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
The referendum was in or out, it wasn't about voting a party in. Therefore it's down to who holds the majority in parliament to implement the will of the people.

Of course that's true but the leave camp stated their position on a number of issues, as did the remain camp. The official leave campaign stated that they wanted to introduce a points based immigration system. Therefore, it's reasonable to think that will be the starting position of exit negotiations.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
It works in Australia. How can he categorically say it will not work? He can certainly say he thinks it's a bad idea but that is his opinion.

He's just a former British diplomat, concerned at high levels of immigration to the UK, who once retired founded an organisation dedicated to immigration and studied various models around the world at great depth. I'd call him an expert, but Britain has had enough of experts.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
That wasn't a policy, it was mentioned, as in 'we could have a points system like Australia', that isn't a policy, that is just saying what you could have. No one ever said, if you vote Brexit we'll have an immigration points system. It wasn't a policy.

It wasn't "you could have". It was the BREXIT Campaign saying "we want".

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
He's just a former British diplomat, concerned at high levels of immigration to the UK, who once retired founded an organisation dedicated to immigration and studied various models around the world at great depth. I'd call him an expert, but Britain has had enough of experts.

None of that means it wont work. It is his opinion.

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
Some of the leave voters on here refusal to accept the facts that voting for brexit has seriously thrown things into turmoil is kinda freaking me out. Literally the whole world is shitting the bed and *most* of the leave voters are acting like nothing is wrong. What's it going to take? The PM resigned, Osborne has said shit is rough, the pounds tanked, the markets tanked, the politicians have near enough come out straight and said there is no plan (yet) and this goes on. But there's leave voters on here quoting made up nonsense about the pound and fluff about how our Aston Martins are now more of a bargain. Brill news! It's truly bewildering.

If you come out and say yeah, it's rough at the moment to say the least, but I believe in my vote and I think it's worth this trouble, then fair play, but it's like you're blocking your eyes and ears. Unbelievable. I wondered how people can believe farage and his BS. Question answered really.

image.png

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
That poll is a nonsense. There is no option for saying you want free market access but not free movement of labour.

Yes valid point, but I want the UK to be a full member of the EU again but that is never going to happen!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Some of the leave voters on here refusal to accept the facts that voting for brexit has seriously thrown things into turmoil is kinda freaking me out. Literally the whole world is shitting the bed and *most* of the leave voters are acting like nothing is wrong. What's it going to take? The PM resigned, Osborne has said shit is rough, the pounds tanked, the markets tanked, the politicians have near enough come out straight and said there is no plan (yet) and this goes on. But there's leave voters on here quoting made up nonsense about the pound and fluff about how our Aston Martins are now more of a bargain. Brill news! It's truly bewildering.

If you come out and say yeah, it's rough at the moment to say the least, but I believe in my vote and I think it's worth this trouble, then fair play, but it's like you're blocking your eyes and ears. Unbelievable. I wondered how people can believe farage and his BS. Question answered really.

View attachment 76150

Its a very long river in Africa, DENIAL.

Put your fingers in your ears and hum, it blocks out the accusations of ,no plan, an impending financial crisis,some voters voted because they are xenophobes.
LALALALALALALALALALALALALA IM NOT LISTENING,LALALALALALALALALALALALALA

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here